Sonic Races Into New Super Smash Bros. Lineup

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
Sonic Races Into New Super Smash Bros. Lineup

The blue speed demon returns for his second Super Smash Bros. title.

Our favorite smug hedgehog is one of the many returning members to the Smash Bros. family after his debut in Brawl. He was first announced as a character in today's Nintendo Direct, and his character page on the official website accompanied the announcement soon thereafter. His several screenshots show him as cocky as ever. And if his controls are anything like they were in the previous title, he'll zoom around characters and off stages.

[gallery=1809]

This announcement came after Nintendo president Satoru Iwata showed footage of Mario & Sonic At The Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games. Sonic's next action-adventure platformer, Sonic Lost World will be released this month. Interestingly, the last announced character to Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and 3DS was Toon Link [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/128185-Toon-Link-Returns-In-Super-Smash-Bros-for-Wii-U-And-3DS], whose retail release of Wind Waker HD is approaching. Previous announcements for the Animal Crossing villager, Olimar, and Luigi were also accompanied by related news pertaining to their respective series.

In Brawl Sonic was the fastest character, making him hard to control but fantastic if mastered. He has a high vertical recovery and can charge at people in a ball. The "blue blur" is the 17th character confirmed for the new fighter game. Who will be the 18th?

Source: Super Smash Bros. [http://www.smashbros.com/us/characters/sonic.html]

Dec 14, 2009
[HEADING=1]Awwwww yeeeeeeeeeah![/HEADING]

Sonic was super fun to play as, I'm glad he's back.

I also like his design more in this one, looks a little more 'classic' Sonic.

Church185

Apr 15, 2009
I'm totally going to main Mega Man in this SSB. Some of my fondest memories (while hazy) revolved around getting smashed and playing Brawl.

I kind of wish they would roll out these roster updates a little faster.

Dec 14, 2009
GamerMage said:
Daystar Clarion said:

[HEADING=1]WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO![/HEADING] Now a big question can be answered. Who wins in a battle of Mario Vs. Sonic Vs Megaman?
I think everyone with a Wii U wins that match.

GamemasterAnthony

Dec 5, 2010
Daystar Clarion said:
GamerMage said:
Daystar Clarion said:

[HEADING=1]WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO![/HEADING] Now a big question can be answered. Who wins in a battle of Mario Vs. Sonic Vs Megaman?
I'm most definitely going to get a WiiU for this game...

...because I DEFINITELY want to play a game where the four mains of my fanfiction (Mario, Sonic, Megaman, Link) are together canonically!

Falterfire

Jul 9, 2012
Good for him. At least he gets to be in one good game series.

Shhhh. It'll be okay Sonic. This is a safe place, Sonic Team can't hurt you here.

Triforceformer

Jun 16, 2009
All we need is a re-worked Mewtwo with Mega Mewtwo X/Y as a Final Smash, Captain Falcon to be "revealed", and a Ganondorf rework, and we're golden.

Leemaster777

Feb 25, 2010
Falterfire said:
Good for him. At least he gets to be in one good game series.

Shhhh. It'll be okay Sonic. This is a safe place, Sonic Team can't hurt you here.
I think at this point it's generally accepted that the whole "Sonic games always suck" thing as passed. We have Sonic Colors and Sonic Generations, and the new Sonic Lost World looks extremely promising.

OT: Not an entirely surprising turn of events, but a welcome one none the less. Three of the biggest names in videogames ever squaring off in one game? Count me hyped.

...they better not forget to put Mr Game and Watch in there, though.

Maze1125

Oct 14, 2008
Well that answers the question of if I'm going to buy this version of Smash Bros. (I will.)

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Daystar Clarion said:
GamerMage said:
Daystar Clarion said:

You two, c'mere... here, you deserve this.

OT: YES. Mario, Sonic & Megaman on the same game. I doubt a single BluRay disc can hold so much awesomeness, but it does!.

That's it, I don't want a Wii U, I need a Wii U.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Wouldn't be surprised if we got the Pokemon trainer back with the Kanto starters, or if they want to shake things up a bit, the Johto Starters.

Also, undoubtedly we will get some gen 5/6 Pokemon

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Daystar Clarion said:

If they're going down the alternate skins route like they've hinted I wouldn't be surprised if there was a full-on tubby classic Sonic. I'd play the shit out of him!

General Twinkletoes

Suppository of Wisdom
Jan 24, 2011
How many times am I gonna see that huge bold AWWW YEEEAH quoted on this page, seriously.

OT: My favourite characters are all getting ported back in, which is really cool. Sonic was fun as hell to play. Just please put in Mewtwo again, and I'll be happy.

OCAdam

Oct 13, 2010
Diablo1099 said:
Nice! This might mean that we might get either Snake or Big Boss from Metal Gear Solid in! XD
This is what I'm waiting for honestly. Snake was my main in Brawl, but I somewhat doubt they'll keep him around sadly.

Dec 14, 2009
Fappy said:
Daystar Clarion said:

If they're going down the alternate skins route like they've hinted I wouldn't be surprised if there was a full-on tubby classic Sonic. I'd play the shit out of him!
You and me both, brother.

You and me both :D