GaymerX2 Promises Bigger, Longer Show For 2014

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
GaymerX2 Promises Bigger, Longer Show For 2014

GaymerX2, the next iteration of the videogame convention dedicated to the LGBT community, is moving to a bigger location and expanding its schedule for 2014.

Despite suffering a few bumps and bruises from a trademark hassle that forced a change of name, GaymerX went ahead this past August in San Francisco and was by all reports a big success, attracting 2300 attendees over two days. Today, GaymerConnect announced details about next year's show, the slightly-renamed GaymerX2, which will see the convention expanded significantly.

GaymerX2 will take place at the Intercontinental San Francisco Hotel and will run for three-and-a-half days, from July 11 through July 13. The lineup of speakers has grown as well, and will include David Gaider, Mattie Brice, Alexis Ohanian, Gordon Bellamy, Jaime Woo and John Scalzi, plus returning guests like Ellen McLain, John Patrick Lowrie and Zach Weinersmith.

"For games to be taken seriously as the pieces of art that they are, they can't live in a culture that is afraid to tackle and discuss issues like gender, sexuality, race, and identity," said GaymerX co-founder Matt Conn. "The amount of support that we've gotten for GaymerX shows that the gaming community is coming around to the idea of having serious debates on how to improve the medium."

Registration for GaymerX2 is now open. To get your tickets or find out more about the new venue and expanded plans, go to gaymerconnect.com [https://www.gaymerconnect.com/gx2].

Source: Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2013/10/01/gaymerx2-scheduled-for-july-2014/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+weblogsinc%2Fjoystiq+%28Joystiq%29]

Stevepinto3

Jun 4, 2009
Tolkienfanatic said:
Hehe... I get it... it's bigger and longer because... hehe
Because there will be more people attending and more stuff to see and talk about? Don't see any other way that sentence could be interpreted.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
they can't live in a culture that is afraid to tackle and discuss issues like gender, sexuality, race, and identity
Says the person segregating gamers. Why can't we all go to one place and have fun at the same time? Instead of investing time and effort into events that says "hey look! I'm different!".

LysanderNemoinis

Noble and oppressed Kekistani
Nov 8, 2010
mad825 said:
they can't live in a culture that is afraid to tackle and discuss issues like gender, sexuality, race, and identity
Says the person segregating gamers. Why can't we all go to one place and have fun at the same time? Instead of investing time and effort into events that says "hey look! I'm different!".
Bingo. While I do believe games are most definitely art, I almost don't want video games to be held to the same standard, because these days every movie or book, even comics, has to be "about something" or tackle this or that issue. While I'm all for video games exploring ideas and doing new things, I'm just worried that we'll stop getting games that are just meant to be fun, despite being weird or kinky (Bayonetta comes to mind), because they're not "inclusive" enough or some crap.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
LysanderNemoinis said:
mad825 said:
Bingo. While I do believe games are most definitely art, I almost don't want video games to be held to the same standard, because these days every movie or book, even comics, has to be "about something" or tackle this or that issue. While I'm all for video games exploring ideas and doing new things, I'm just worried that we'll stop getting games that are just meant to be fun, despite being weird or kinky (Bayonetta comes to mind), because they're not "inclusive" enough or some crap.
so, how many games can you count that have been legitimately improved by the inclusion of questionable material as opposed to being present for the sole purpose of selling more games based on the perception of popular demand?

like, if the characters were slightly less "sexy" or didn't feature large boobs, and wore moderately conservative clothing as opposed to skintight bodysuits or strips of chainmail or clothing with low cut tops and tiny to zero pants, would that have made you have less fun or put the game down?

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
trty00 said:
mad825 said:
You know, letting one group that HAS been largely ignored by the mainstream gaming industry, and is still derided on places like Xbox Live, have an event where they can truly feel safe to express themselves isn't going to kill 'teh vidja gamez.'

And yes, I do realize I say that while having a Grand Theft Auto V avatar.
The problem with expressing yourself in a secluded echo chamber is that the very people you're looking to express yourself to are likely not even be there.

It's like advertising for gay rights on the homosexual focus channel. A feel-good gesture for all involved but it betrays the intent of the action from the onset.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
trty00 said:
Abomination said:
trty00 said:
mad825 said:
You know, letting one group that HAS been largely ignored by the mainstream gaming industry, and is still derided on places like Xbox Live, have an event where they can truly feel safe to express themselves isn't going to kill 'teh vidja gamez.'

And yes, I do realize I say that while having a Grand Theft Auto V avatar.
The problem with expressing yourself in a secluded echo chamber is that the very people you're looking to express yourself to are likely not even be there.

It's like advertising for gay rights on the homosexual focus channel. A feel-good gesture for all involved but it betrays the intent of the action from the onset.
Maybe, but sometimes a safe spot is enough. Maybe it won't revolutionize the way we think, but it still serves as a nice gesture. One that's probably important for a lot of people.

EDIT: Just have a little empathy, that's all.
Then say that's the reason for the event... not that they're there to debate issues of sexuality and race in an area that is going to, by default, be exclusively pro-one viewpoint.

That's not a debate. That's an echo chamber.

If it's a con for gay, trans, race... (non-white? I don't know) to go without the fear of being persecuted (?) then all the power to them. But to say it's a movement or event that makes major ground in promoting tolerance of diversity they're just kidding themselves.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
LifeCharacter said:
mad825 said:
I'm sure the people attending this would love to attend your idealized, fantasy con where everything's fun and no one harasses another. Shame douchebags attending most cons harass other people so much that they're no longer having fun and have to go out and make their own con to enjoy themselves.
I'm not too sure if you're trying to quote history...Because....That never really turned out well.

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
Abomination said:
What about developers that might be interested in discussing whether they should be tackling issues of gender and sexuality in gaming? Because they'll be there.

It's hardly an 'echo chamber'. One thing I despise about contemporary media is the belief that to have a 'balanced debate' you need to have two people with radically opposed viewpoints. You see it all the time with AGW: rather than have a debate between a climate scientist and a geologist who both accept the science but disagree on long term projections, they'll have a debate between a climate scientist and a political commentator with no scientific credibility at all. Same thing applies here: even if everyone in the room were a proud card-carrying member of the LGBT community, you could still have a nuanced debate. You don't need to stick someone like Fred Phelps in there for it to become a 'debate'.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
Shamanic Rhythm said:
Abomination said:
What about developers that might be interested in discussing whether they should be tackling issues of gender and sexuality in gaming? Because they'll be there.
To think what? "Okay, this con sure is much smaller than the other cons. Prices are less. Less merchandise is moving..."

The developers who go there don't go there for the Gaymers, they go their for the PR of waving the Gaymer flag.

It's hardly an 'echo chamber'. One thing I despise about contemporary media is the belief that to have a 'balanced debate' you need to have two people with radically opposed viewpoints. You see it all the time with AGW: rather than have a debate between a climate scientist and a geologist who both accept the science but disagree on long term projections, they'll have a debate between a climate scientist and a political commentator with no scientific credibility at all. Same thing applies here: even if everyone in the room were a proud card-carrying member of the LGBT community, you could still have a nuanced debate. You don't need to stick someone like Fred Phelps in there for it to become a 'debate'.
Who said anything about needing a polar opposite or radically opposed viewpoint? All you need is an opposing view point, otherwise it's not much of a debate.

As for the scientist comparison... I didn't know being a homosexual was a profession.

Frozengale

Sep 9, 2009
If you REALLY want to break ground in video games and have more games focused on LGBT issues then there is one definitive way to do that. GO MAKE GAMES THAT FOCUS ON SUCH ISSUES!

But, making games where the protagonist HAS to be LGBT, or a woman, or black, or anything kind of defeats the purpose of making it feel like such things are natural and fine. You know I've played a few games in the last couple of months that have featured a woman as the protagonist. "Remember Me", "They Bleed Pixels", and "Bleed". In all of these games never once was their a huge revelation or big major fuss made about the characters being female. Nilin just happens to be a girl, they make a big fuss about how she can alter memories, never about her being a girl. The young girl in "They Bleed Pixels" is a girl, and the story uses this to put the plot in an interesting setting, an all girls boarding school, but they never make a fuss about her BEING a girl. And Bleed just says, "This person wants to go kill all the heroes that are now the oppressors" but they never bring any real attention to the fact she is a girl, she just happens to be one. These games just present it naturally. Here is your protagonist, go nuts. Oh and she just happens to be a girl.

I feel like if you really want to make a game that legitimizes LGBT people then just go MAKE that game. Make a game where at some point it just happens to be the protagonist is lesbian or gay. I've been listening to the Podcast "Welcome to Nightvale" and they did this perfectly. The main character Cecil never makes mention that he is Gay or Bi. He's just a average person (average for Nightvale at least) and then in one episode he goes on a date with a guy and suddenly you realize, "Oh I guess he is gay." It's not some huge earth shattering moment, there isn't some huge announcement of "HE'S GAY!!!". It's just based on how the story goes, it's obvious he's gay or bi and that's that.

Creating an echo chamber where a bunch of people go to prattle on about how they should be taken seriously isn't going to get anything done, because ultimately you're not reaching the audience that needs to hear you out. This just makes me take them less seriously and makes me mad. Because at the end of the day if you want something to be done, then you should go out and DO IT! If you want games to conquer race, gender, sexuality, or any other issue then go out and do it! There has never been a time in history that it has been SO VERY EASY to create video games. Games that took months to make back in the day can be made in weeks. Games that use to take years to make can be done in months. Some games can still take years but all in all it's easier to do.

I'm just going to leave this video here that pretty much sums up my feelings on this issue. It talks about women in video games but you can easily apply it to LBGT or anything else.

GeneralFungi

Jul 1, 2010
Abomination said:
As for the scientist comparison... I didn't know being a homosexual was a profession.
Scientists make a career out of knowing more about science then the majority of people. While homosexuals don't get paid for being homosexual, I would be under the assumption someone who's gay would have a better understanding of what it's like to be gay then the majority of people. It's really not difficult to see the comparison.

Frozengale said:
But wouldn't the presence of people who want to see more of this sort of thing be enough to spark some attention? Obviously one convention isn't going to change the entire way the industry thinks, but just the presence of such an event demonstrates that there is some interest. Maybe not quite as noble as becoming a game developer to chase your dreams and make it a reality, but it's a video game developer's job to meet a need isn't it?

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
GeneralFungi said:
Abomination said:
Scientists make a career out of knowing more about science then the majority of people. While homosexuals don't get paid for being homosexual, I would be under the assumption someone who's gay would have a better understanding of what it's like to be gay then the majority of people. It's really not difficult to see the comparison.
And yet, they could only offer one point of view on the issue.

Scientists can disagree about scientific principles, tests and what constitutes as evidence.

Homosexuals can't really disagree on what it means to be homosexual.

Now, if the panel was to include say... a major decision maker for an AAA company with a homosexual gaming community representative then I could see us having a "debate" but we know as well as anyone else it's not going to be a "debate". It's going to be a PR stunt.
But wouldn't the presence of people who want to see more of this sort of thing be enough to spark some attention? Obviously one convention isn't going to change the entire way the industry thinks, but just the presence of such an event demonstrates that there is some interest. Maybe not quite as noble as becoming a game developer to chase your dreams and make it a reality, but it's a video game developer's job to meet a need isn't it?
It's a video game developer's job to make games. Businessmen(er, people) assess the need then direct resources towards fulfilling that need based upon their projections for profit. Businessmen hire the developers.

Hope in one hand and shit in the other, which one fills up first? If a group wants big companies to take their niche seriously then they need to perhaps get together, with the funding they could be raising from this expo perhaps, and HIRE developers to make that game. Perhaps the bigger companies will take notice of the supposed success of the game if it is successful.

But don't expect the companies that have to answer to shareholders to take a niche risk.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
mad825 said:
Its called relating. Its nice to talk to other people who arent talking about how the want to bone my mom and actually WONT call me a ******. Its only segregating if non LGBT arent allowed, which Im doubting.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
Saelune said:
mad825 said:
Its called relating. Its nice to talk to other people who arent talking about how the want to bone my mom and actually WONT call me a ******. Its only segregating if non LGBT arent allowed, which Im doubting.
Does this really happen at cons? I mean, I've heard people say it does but I've never actually seen any evidence of it.

Wouldn't con-goers get tossed out for harassing other goers?

GeneralFungi

Jul 1, 2010
Abomination said:
GeneralFungi said:
Abomination said:
And yet, they could only offer one point of view on the issue.

Scientists can disagree about scientific principles, tests and what constitutes as evidence.

Homosexuals can't really disagree on what it means to be homosexual.

Now, if the panel was to include say... a major decision maker for an AAA company with a homosexual gaming community representative then I could see us having a "debate" but we know as well as anyone else it's not going to be a "debate". It's going to be a PR stunt.
They wouldn't be debating what it means to be homosexual though. If there was a debate (while I'll concede there probably won't be, unless the con is hosting panels specifically for that kind of discussion) it would be about what would be acceptable representation in video games. Where would you draw the line, examples of video games that have already respectably explored the issue, etc. While yes, the majority of people who would join into this hypothetical discussion would be homosexual, this is where the differing opinions would begin to show. How central to the plot would the protagonist's sexuality have to be? Some may think it would be better as a detail. Some might think that it would be better as a more central theme throughout the entire game. There are many details that can be discussed, and in this I believe that a real debate will happen. The LGBT is not a hivemind. They are allowed to have differing opinions, even in discussions revolving around the LGBT.

Scientists explore multiple branches of science. They don't just repeatedly pummel the idea of what science is. While we don't know all of what science entails yet, and there is debate about what is and isn't scientifically accurate, we do share the same fundamental concepts of what science is as a concept. We all understand what homosexuality is, but we may not all come to the same conclusion of how to create a compelling video gaming experience exploring the theme.