Super Mario 3D World Reveals New Powerups

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Super Mario 3D World Reveals New Powerups

The game's release date has been pushed up from "December" to November 29.

A cherry that makes Mario doppelgangers, a "cannon hat" that fires a steady stream of cannonballs from Mario's head, and a Goomba disguise are some of the new powerups Nintendo have revealed for Super Mario 3D World in its latest trailer. Additionally, it looks like the game has been pushed up from its prior "December" release date, as Nintendo has announced it will be released on November 29.

The video also shows Mario using some kind of sled vehicle on an ice level to plough through Goombas. The boomerang suit from the 3DS's Super Mario 3D Land was also confirmed to be making a comeback, as is the iconic "Tanooki Suit".

A couple of "pick up" items were also shown, including a baseball, which can be thrown to stun enemies, and a Pirahna Plant, which will automatically eat any enemy in front of it.

As this game will be a 4-player co-op affair starring Mario, Luigi, Peach and Toad, it gave us a closer look at how each of these characters will look when using said powerups, as well as some of the unique differences in play-styles between them. As was the case in Super Mario Bros. 2, Luigi has the highest jump, but skids on the ground, Peach has her signature "floaty" jumps, and Toad is the fastest, while Mario is the vanilla all-rounder.

The very end of the trailer shows off the utter chaos we can look forward to in 4-player co-op when every player has gotten their hands on a doppleganger cherry...

Source: YouTube [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLOKVABfrzw]

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
The sled you mention looks kind of like a giant ice skate. Maybe it's like that shoe from earlier Mario games?

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
That look like a lot of fun. And it's nice to see that Bowser is not kidnapping Peach for once. Too bad I can't afford a WiiU or this game.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
^Post of the year.

Also, they moved the release date forward? How often does that happen?

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
Wow, this game is starting to look gorgeous. I'm glad the art style isn't just 3D Land Redux, as it appeared at E3. Honestly, I was disappointed by the art and music in SM3DL, especially since this was the Galaxy team and I knew from experience they could do better.

P.S. Thanks

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
and this is why Nintendo eats their competition for breakfast when it comes to quality. Seriously, I expect them to go nuts with the level design. Not that it'll stop naysayers from whining.

Drummodino

Can't Stop the Bop
Jan 2, 2011
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
*Does a little dance*

Oh the game may have underwhelmed at E3
But now it's clear for everyone to see
This game is looking quite extraordinary
It's Super Mario 3Deeeeeeeeeeeeeee World!

Cherries that clone you 1-2-3
Boxes that shoot like artillery
Pussy cat suits, they're so furry
In Super Mario 3Deeeeeeeeeeeeee World!

There's multiplayer goodness for you and me
Bowser's up to his old trickery
No saving Peach, gotta save the fairies
In Super Mario 3Deeeeeeeeeeeeee World!

What other delights are there from EAD?
I think we're going to have to wait and see
Mushroom-fuelled goodness for the family
In Super, Wonderful, Fantastical, Bonanzical,
Super Mario 3Deeeeeeeeeeeeeeee Woooooorrrrrrrrrrld!

OT: Looks like fun but sadly I won't get to play it. Can't afford a Wii U if I'm going to get a PS4 eventually.