Author Tom Clancy Passes Away

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
Author Tom Clancy Passes Away

<tweet t=https://twitter.com/Ubisoft/status/385422533261926400>​
Best known for his military thriller novels, Tom Clancy died in a Baltimore hospital yesterday.

Before he ventured into the videogame world, Tom Clancy wrote books, and he wrote a lot of them. The best-seller novelist passed away yesterday in a hospital of his native city Baltimore, the New York Times confirmed. He lived to be 66 years old. Clancy's book Command Authority is planned for publication on Dec. 3.

Clancy helped found videogame development studio Red Storm Entertainment in 1996, and it went on to develop many franchises based on Clancy's work. Ubisoft later bought the company and makes games under Clancy's name, most recently Splinter Cell: Blacklist. The next upcoming game is Tom Clancy's The Division.

Ubisoft released a statement on Facebook [https://www.facebook.com/ubisoft/posts/10151686229367293 ] this morning: "We are saddened to learn of Tom Clancy's passing and our condolences go out to his family. Tom Clancy was an extraordinary author with a gift for creating detailed, engrossing fictional stories that captivated audiences around the world.

The teams at Ubisoft, especially the Red Storm studio, are incredibly grateful to have collaborated with and learned from him, and we are humbled by the opportunity to carry on part of his legacy through our properties that bear his name."

Much of Tom Clancy's work takes place in the Cold War, and he was well known for his insider knowledge on military intelligence and operations. His understanding of the military and espionage raises the bar for all writers.

Source: New York Times [http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/03/books/tom-clancy-best-selling-novelist-of-military-thrillers-dies-at-66.html?hp]

Ldude893

Apr 2, 2010
You've done well for military literature and video games, and we'll forever remember you for it. Godspeed, sir.

*salute*

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
He's dead?

I've only read The Hunt for Red October but it was pretty good.

I guess that ends the Clancyverse.

Darklord008

Dec 14, 2011
This guy was my favorite author. He's the reason I really got into reading, and why I read as many books as I do. Rest in Peace, Mr. Clancy.

BloodSquirrel

Jun 23, 2008
Ed130 said:
He's dead?

From what I understand, his death is unlikely to end the publishing of new books by "Tom Clancy".

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
BloodSquirrel said:
Ed130 said:
He's dead?

From what I understand, his death is unlikely to end the publishing of new books by "Tom Clancy".
That's exactly what I feared.

Was it his idea?

Captcha: danish robot dancers

FinalDream

[Insert Witty Remark Here]
Apr 6, 2010
Looks like all his work will be in clear and present danger of been re-issued by the money hungry estate of Clancy!

I loved his work, not so much the books, but the films and games based on his books.

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
BloodSquirrel said:
Ed130 said:
He's dead?

The novel series like "Tom Clancy's Special Soldiers: The Panty Raid by Generic McGenericson" will probably carry on, I think its obvious I don't think much of them. Sad to see Tom Clancy himself has gone, he wrote some really good novels and some of the Jack Ryan stories are among my favourite ever books.

Jaeger_CDN

Aug 9, 2010
My condolences to his family

One of my favourite authors, especially his earlier cold war era books (Red Storm Rising is among my top 10 books). The newer series with Jack jr. were alright but not quite as good as the early years.

I really never got into the 'based on Tom Clancy's' pulp books that were being churned out since they weren't actually written by Tom.

Aptspire

Mar 13, 2008
I remember reading all of 'Executive Orders'. Loved it. The Hunt For Red October is one of my favorite movie adaptations. I'll miss his writing.

Drummodino

Can't Stop the Bop
Jan 2, 2011
RIP Mr Clancy. I really enjoyed your novels The Hunt for Red October and Rainbow Six.

Nielas

Dec 5, 2011
Ed130 said:
BloodSquirrel said:
Ed130 said:
He's dead?

Was it his idea?
I really like his books and I frankly felt cheated when I found out that many of the later books were actually ghost written.

Quiet Stranger

Feb 4, 2006
I believe the world has lost a great man today, I never read any of his books which I will have to correct in a way to honour him but my first experience of his work was when I played a burnt copy of Rogue Spear when I was just a young boy, I played it online with other people and had a ball of a time. It remains to this day one of my favourite games, R.I.P. Tom, you beautiful man you!

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
Nielas said:
Ed130 said:
BloodSquirrel said:
Ed130 said:
He's dead?

Was it his idea?
I really like his books and I frankly felt cheated when I found out that many of the later books were actually ghost written.
The later books and games with the Clancy label really lost a lot of the moral ambiguity in the stories, making them more and more YAY PATRIOTISM. It got really, really weird with RS:Vegas. Why is Ding white with a German accent? Is that how you INFILTRATE COLUMBIA?

You can say a lot about where the works with his name went when people went up in arms about how they thought the new Rainbow Six game would be about American soldiers killing Americans.

UNHchabo

Dec 24, 2008
To all of you who have never read a Tom Clancy book, or have only read one or two, I highly recommend Without Remorse. It's a prequel that follows John Clark, the character played by Willem Dafoe in Clear and Present Danger.

I went through a Tom Clancy kick when I was in high school, and read several of his books. I really enjoyed them, and I'm sorry to see him go.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Meh, at least we won't be getting any more shitty Rainbow Six and Splinter Cell games with his name slapped in the box.

Scratch that, we'll still get those shitty games, but without his name slapped in the box.