Borderlands 2 $100,000 Loot Hunt Begins October 11

MarlaDesat

Aug 22, 2013
Borderlands 2 $100,000 Loot Hunt Begins October 11

The Great Loot Hunt promises 28 days of community challenges for unique weapons and a chance to win cash and prizes.

Cash and prizes for some, in-game loot for others! 2K Games announced The Great Loot Hunt today, an in-game event for Borderlands 2 that will begin October 11 at 10 a.m. EDT. A new daily target enemy will be revealed each day for 28 days. If enough players take out the target enemy to meet the daily community kill count, they will be rewarded at the end of that week with a "uniquely super-awesome gun", says 2K. Taking down the target also earns you that day's entry for the sweepstakes, giving you a chance at up to $50,000 and other prizes. The cash and prizes are only available to players in the United States, but all players can participate for the in-game items.

To participate in the event, players must register at the Loot Hunt website [https://www.borderlands2loothunt.com/] using a SHiFT account and then hunt down both the special gun and the target enemy for each day. Kill the enemy with that day's gun, wash off the gore, and repeat daily until the sweepstakes ends at 5 a.m. EDT on November 7. Players will be able to track their sweepstakes entries as well as the community's progress towards the daily goals on the Loot Hunt website. The cash prizes available include four weekly cash prizes totaling $50,000, and a grand prize of $50,000. Weekly sponsored prizes include a lifetime supply of all 2K titles on Steam, a PlayStation Vita bundled with Borderlands 2 once it is released, custom Turtle Beach headsets, Borderlands 2 strategy guides from BradyGames, Nvidia graphics cards, and an Nvidia Shield with a Falcon Northwest Tiki PC.

The event will also include updates to some weapons in Borderlands 2 that will make some guns more powerful. Official rules are forthcoming, including instructions for how to enter the sweepstakes by mail.

Source: Gearbox Software [https://www.borderlands2loothunt.com/]

AnthrSolidSnake

Jun 2, 2011
So I'm assuming this is only for the PC version of Borderlands 2? I mean, considering pretty much all the prizes (aside from cash) are PC gamer oriented. I mean, I have it for PC, but a few of my friends only have it on PS3.

Dreadman75

Jul 6, 2011
Whelp...there goes my month.

This is gonna be so much fun!
AnthrSolidSnake said:
So I'm assuming this is only for the PC version of Borderlands 2? I mean, considering pretty much all the prizes (aside from cash) are PC gamer oriented. I mean, I have it for PC, but a few of my friends only have it on PS3.
I hope PS3 is included, that's the system I play on.

CpT_x_Killsteal

Elite Member
Jun 21, 2012
I reeeally hate that it's only US that gets the physical prizes.

Oh well, atleast I get sexy guns.

Question: Am I gonna need the DLC to do this properly?

unstabLized

Mar 9, 2012
CpT_x_Killsteal said:

Same. My Canadian moose is sad :( Same question by the way, any DLC required? I have the season pass and whatever came with that, but that's pretty much it.

KoudelkaMorgan

Jul 31, 2009
My TV crapped out while playing Borderlands 2 a year ago, after the pirate DLC but before the rest. Needless to say I'm quite far behind the times on Pandora, and still without a working TV. Well, one that doesn't randomly fluctuate to OMGWTFHYPERCONTRASTOMEGAMODE on a whim.

It makes playing games pretty damn impossible with any proficiency. Which is too bad, because theoretically I could play the game and win the money for a new TV...

I had a lot of fun with Gaige, but I think I would go back to Maya. I didn't have ANY fun with Zero for the 7 hrs or so I bothered. I only played a few with Axton to get the turret kill trophy, but planned to continue with him to cap. The TV died while I was playing Salvador. It was on the Southern Shelf too, so when the color started going from white to superwhite, to magic bananas psychedelic colors I didn't immediately notice lol.

I gunzerked so hard it killed my TV...damn you GEARBOX!

Spaceman Spiff

Sep 23, 2013
Ah, Gearbox is still throwing events to pimp their game and the whole Shift system. I wonder if the "uniquely super-awesome gun" negates the bullet sponginess of the baddies. I think I'll pass.

frobalt

Jan 2, 2012
Was excited until I found out the prizes are only available in America.

Once again, gearbox chooses a half-measure (I'm referring to their lazy way of raising difficulty here).

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
unstabLized said:
CpT_x_Killsteal said:

Same. My Canadian moose is sad :( Same question by the way, any DLC required? I have the season pass and whatever came with that, but that's pretty much it.
I'll third that question, I have none of the DLC. Might be worth getting into if it doesn't require any otherwise I'll have to pass.

not_you

Don't ask, or you won't know
Mar 16, 2011
I think it's quite cute that 2K lined this up with the Broderlands steam sale that happened today....

I wonder how many extra copies it sold just for that announcement alone....

Yes, I did mean "Bro derlands"

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Buffs to some weapons?

I hope the Flakker becomes an actual shotgun, instead of spreading explosions conveniently around whatever it is thats trying to rip my face off.

Other than that the things that spring to mind is Logans Gun, Kerblaster and pretty much all Dhal guns.

Glaice

Mar 18, 2013
I have to make an account for SHiFT? No thank you. I already deal with enough redundant accounts for certain things already.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Wait, I can't even DO the events for in game weapons if I'm not American?
I can't register my shift account with the event if I'm not American.

EDIT: Oh, nevermind! I DO get the in game loot, yay!

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Kwil said:
Weaver said:
Wait, I can't even DO the events for in game weapons if I'm not American?
I can't register my shift account with the event if I'm not American.

EDIT: Oh, nevermind! I DO get the in game loot, yay!
How'd you get your shift account in? Or where'd you find the loot?

Karl
It doesn't start until Oct 11th :)
I just read in like one of their FAQ thingies or something that internationals will be able to still get the in game loot!

Jburton9

Aug 21, 2012
Well the site https://www.borderlands2loothunt.com/ says I am registered but after about a hour of shooting stuff no special gun has dropped. The event is today and supposed to start at 10am EST so that is covered. I also checked the Gearbox forums and no one is talking about the event, at least on the first few pages or so.

I assume it will have some special notes or name so we do not sell it by accident - even better it would be marked as no sale like quest items : )

Anyone have the gun drop for them yet?

OMGweDEAD

Apr 3, 2013
Xan Krieger said:
unstabLized said:
CpT_x_Killsteal said:

I'll third that question, I have none of the DLC. Might be worth getting into if it doesn't require any otherwise I'll have to pass.

According to the official rules you need:

Borderlands 2
The Captain Scarlett and her Pirate?s Booty
Mr. Torgue?s Campaign of Carnage
Sir Hammerlock?s Big Game Hunt
Tiny Tina?s Assault on Dragons Keep

https://www.borderlands2loothunt.com/rules

Lawful purchasers of a copy of Borderlands 2 Game of the Year Edition ("Game"), or Borderlands 2 and the Captain Scarlett and her Pirate's Booty, Mr. Torgue's Campaign of Carnage, Sir Hammerlock's Big Game Hunt and Tiny Tina's Assault on Dragons Keep Downloadable Content packs for Borderlands 2 can go to www.borderlands2loothunt.com and log into their SHiFT account for Borderlands 2.