Shovel Knight Releases This Winter, Gets New Trailer

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Shovel Knight Releases This Winter, Gets New Trailer

Shovel Knight will be available on the PC, Wii U, and 3DS.

Shovel Knight, the developer Yacht Club Games [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/123274-Shovel-Knight-Quadruples-Kickstarter-Goal]. The game, which was initially slated for a September release, should be out by the end of February, and will be available on all of it's initial platforms simultaneously.

To tide fans over during the release delay, Yacht Club Games has released a new trailer for Shovel Knight, showcasing "a mashup of old and new". The trailer shows a lot of gameplay from the game, which looks like a Mega Man-meets-DuckTales affair, brought into the world of today with a couple of modern gaming innovations.

It should come as no surprise that Yacht Club Games is made up of former WayForward games staff, the studio responsible for the recently released DuckTales remastered.

Shovel Knight's Kickstarter initially asked for just $75,000, but ended up raising over $300,000 - four times that number. It reached every single stretch goal, which is probably why the game is being delayed past it's initial release date.

The game's success, along with similar retro platforming re-imaginings like Mighty No. 9 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/127371-Update-Mega-Man-Creator-Kickstarts-Mighty-No-9], just goes to show that the market for these games indeed still exists in force, despite what the big-name publishers are telling us.

Source: Nintendo Life [http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/yachtclubgames/shovel-knight/posts]

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
Weaver said:
It always kind of looked like shovelware to me.
-.- what you did was seen .....

OT:
>.>

yeah, I'll probably pick it up, I'm a sucker for games like this.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
Weaver said:
Heard it here first folks. 2D 8-bit platformers are shovelware. Super Mario Bros was the beginning of the Casual invasion. Mega Man is no better than an iOS game. The casuals didn't join in with the Wii, they were among us all along!
Not sure if more layers than I can handle, or irony lost.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
Weaver said:
Heard it here first folks. 2D 8-bit platformers are shovelware. Super Mario Bros was the beginning of the Casual invasion. Mega Man is no better than an iOS game. The casuals didn't join in with the Wii, they were among us all along!

See SHOVEL knight, he carries a shovel. SHOVELware is an existing term used to denote really garbage stuff made quickly and thrown out there for a quick buck.

HOWEVER, I decided to make a pun, which you can learn about here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pun
Basically, it's a form of wordplay exploiting the multiple meaning of words. In this instance, it is a sort of "shovel software" yeah? Or, shovelware because, if you recall, the shovel is the primary weapon of the shovel knight.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
OT: I find it hilarious that publishers need convincing that 2d platformers are worth investing in. NSMB Wii sold more than any COD game, and was exponentially cheaper to make. Rayman Origins sold like crap, yet still turned Ubisoft a profit. DKCR sold over 6 million. The market is there. If publishers were serious about making money, they'd stop sinking hundreds of millions into COD clones, and try investing more into the 2d market. Infinitely better ROI.
Well let's face it, publishers also can't seem to wrap their heads around how to advertise them. They've basically crippled themselves in terms of diversity due to being used to pandering towards one type of market instead of multiple ones. Seriously, when it comes to these guys trying to sell 2D platformers their brains seem to stall.

Yoshi4102

Mar 10, 2012
Weaver said:
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
Weaver said:

See SHOVEL knight, he carries a shovel. SHOVELware is an existing term used to denote really garbage stuff made quickly and thrown out there for a quick buck.

HOWEVER, I decided to make a pun, which you can learn about here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pun
Basically, it's a form of wordplay exploiting the multiple meaning of words. In this instance, it is a sort of "shovel software" yeah? Or, shovelware because, if you recall, the shovel is the primary weapon of the shovel knight.
I'm pretty sure he was being sarcastic. He went on to defend 2d platformers.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Weaver said:
GROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAN

j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
Heard it here first folks. 2D 8-bit platformers are shovelware.
Yeah, no.

NSMB Wii sold more than any COD game, and was exponentially cheaper to make.
Well, Modern Warfare 3 is listed as selling more. You have a decent point if you dial back the hyperbole, though.

The market is there.
The market is there, now. When the competition isn't strong. Hell, two of those were big franchise Nintendo games. Who's to say they flourish outside of that?

Besides, how are they going to justify inflated budgets and more hardware if they're busy making games people actually want?

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Due to Game Grumps and Rogue Legacy, I have a high probability of buying this.