38 Studios Founder Holding Estate Sale

Sarah LeBoeuf

Apr 28, 2011
38 Studios Founder Holding Estate Sale

Former Red Sox player Curt Schilling is unloading his furniture and home in the continuing 38 Studios debacle.

The fallout of ensuing lawsuit [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/117785-Amid-Controversy-38-Studios-Declares-Bankruptcy-UPDATED] is still being felt a year later. Curt Schilling, former Red Sox player and the founder and Chairman of the doomed Kingdoms of Amalur developer, is holding an estate sale at his Massachusetts home later this week, where he'll be unloading various furniture, window treatments, and a baby grand piano, among other things.

The seven-bedroom, seven-bathroom house is also up for sale with a price tag of $2.9 million; while not exactly pocket change, that's quite a blow considering the home was listed at $8 million just five years ago.

Earlier this year, a judge ruled that Rhode Island's lawsuit against Schilling and other 38 Studios executives decided to investigate [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/127271-Judge-Rules-38-Studios-Lawsuit-May-Proceed] the $75 million loan from the state that convinced Schilling to set up shop there.

The estate sale, which will take place on October 12, is listed on Consign Works [http://www.consignworks.com/Estate613/]; the listing states that it's a "wonderful opportunity" that will "knock your Sox off!"

Source: Polygon [http://www.polygon.com/2013/10/7/4813122/curt-schilling-holding-estate-sale-at-his-mass-home]

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
It's kind of sad that it appears he is having to sell everything he owns (including his towels) and that it will likely only make a tiny dent in the amount that 38 studios needs to pay back. Although I am curious as to why he has three sets of bunk beds, does he have loads of kids?

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
@NoAccountNeeded:
I thought the less was to not but the cart in-front of the horse.

I think 38 Studios would still be around if they hadn't started making a MMO before their first game was even out the door.

mechalynx

Führer of the Sausage People
Mar 23, 2008
My heart breaks a bit more every time I hear of Shilling and Studio 38. Why does he have to sell his things though? Surely the load was for the company and not a to a person?

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
At least he'll be okay enough to afford a mid sized home, he can do the appearance circuit that the star treck guys were doing a couple of years ago. It is quite sad that bankruptcy has hit so hard.

kajinking

Aug 12, 2009
Tanis said:
@NoAccountNeeded:
I thought the less was to not but the cart in-front of the horse.

I think 38 Studios would still be around if they hadn't started making a MMO before their first game was even out the door.
Yeah this really seems like a case of a lot of money being thrown around with very little planning involved. When you start any company having your first project be the hardest thing you can do seems like a bad idea. I'm almost convinced that if 38 had started with smaller titles like phone games and maybe even a small steam downloadable title they might have put out a few decent titles and just now we'd be getting trailers for Kingdoms of Amalur and be looking forward to it.

Amir Kondori

Apr 11, 2013
AAA game development is harder than pimpin', and if mainstream rap is to be believed, pimping ain't easy.

Artemicion

Need superslick, Kupo.
Dec 7, 2009
NoAccountNeeded said:
I guess the lesson here is to stay the heck away from Rhode Island.
As a Rhode Islander, I can confirm this lesson as truth.

The pun at the end about the Red Sox is what really makes this sad.

LordMonty

Badgerlord
Jul 2, 2008
This is indeed a really tragic story all in all I hope it has some sort of happy ending at some point.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Dead Raen said:
NoAccountNeeded said:
I guess the lesson here is to stay the heck away from Rhode Island.
As a Rhode Islander, I can confirm this lesson as truth.

The pun at the end about the Red Sox is what really makes this sad.
Only thing I can suggest is to point out to your constituents that their screw up and greed will cost tourism and business prospects in future with a reputation of being run by idiots that screw others over.

sir neillios

Dec 15, 2012
When will we see the numbers for this scandal? Where did the money go? How much interest were they wanting 38 to pay for the loan? Could it all have been prevented if they had extended the payments by a couple months? Many many lives have been ruined here.

Artemicion

Need superslick, Kupo.
Dec 7, 2009
RicoADF said:
Only thing I can suggest is to point out to your constituents that their screw up and greed will cost tourism and business prospects in future with a reputation of being run by idiots that screw others over.
I had the opportunity to speak with Senator Whitehouse several weeks ago. I discussed my concern with the general economic crisis RI has been going through and expressed my disapproval with his performance in congress. He gave me a generic and predictable politician's response about it being a work-in-progress but I got the feeling that he felt his hands were tied. I suspect a majority of the issue lies in the Republican's unwillingness to cooperate on any number of serious issues, which results in a lot of nothing getting done. Congress is hardly a well-oiled machine, and the government's refusal to work with itself is a highly contributing factor in the issues we currently face. Rhode Island's economic concerns pale in comparison to national concerns, and none of those are being worked on.

[small]See also: government shut down, global economic downturn, best president of the last three decades was fictional [http://images2.fanpop.com/images/photos/2800000/President-Bartlet-martin-sheen-2802780-323-399.jpg], etc.[/small]

As for the tourism business, it's not going anywhere [http://www.gonewport.com/].

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Dead Raen said:
I had the opportunity to speak with Senator Whitehouse several weeks ago. I discussed my concern with the general economic crisis RI has been going through and expressed my disapproval with his performance in congress. He gave me a generic and predictable politician's response about it being a work-in-progress but I got the feeling that he felt his hands were tied. I suspect a majority of the issue lies in the Republican's unwillingness to cooperate on any number of serious issues, which results in a lot of nothing getting done. Congress is hardly a well-oiled machine, and the government's refusal to work with itself is a highly contributing factor in the issues we currently face. Rhode Island's economic concerns pale in comparison to national concerns, and none of those are being worked on.

[small]See also: government shut down, global economic downturn, best president of the last three decades was fictional [http://images2.fanpop.com/images/photos/2800000/President-Bartlet-martin-sheen-2802780-323-399.jpg], etc.[/small]

As for the tourism business, it's not going anywhere [http://www.gonewport.com/].
Atleast he took the time to speak to you, hats off to him.
I don't get how the system in the US can be so broken, granted Australia's isn't perfect but we don't risk defaulting and having no budget because one faction wants to hold the nation at ransom for their backwards thinking. Would love to see the Republicans arrested for terrorism, since that's basically what their doing, holding the country hostage.

Alorxico

Jan 5, 2011
When I saw the toys and games, my heart broke. I don't know if this guy is married and has kids or not, but I sure hope he doesn't. Because the thought of the STATE forcing him to sell his kids' toys to pay them back the money they bribed him with to put his gaming studio in their state, that just makes me sick. That's below vile. That's the sort of think movie-makers write into a villain's back-story to absolutely make the audience hate him. "This guy is really evil! Have no sympathy for him. He foreclosed on an orphanage after promising he won't if the kids sold their toys to pay one month's mortgage payment."

Sorry, you don't mess with kids.

awdrifter

Apr 1, 2011
Stay away from government deals is generally true. He should have moved more assets out of the States before doing this risky venture.

Brian Tams

Sep 3, 2012
In hindsight, maybe he should've auctioned off the sock instead of giving it to the HoF.

Shame, KoA:R was a neat little game, but Schilling really gave him the short end of the stick. I feel bad for the guy (and of course all the people who were left unemployed), and Rhode Island really screwed him.

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
Wow, it's true then, all american sport stars do decorate their homes in the same way!

OT: His christmas tree? They're selling his christmas tree!

moosemaimer

Apr 14, 2011
I work at a telco, they were a customer of ours. Don't think we're ever going to get the money they owe us.

I remember reading somewhere they would've had to sell something like 15 million copies of KoA to turn a profit because they mismanaged their cash so badly. Sad that what by most accounts was an OK game was doomed before it went out the door.