Watch Dogs Looks Better on Wii U Than PS3, Xbox 360

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Watch Dogs Looks Better on Wii U Than PS3, Xbox 360

Watch Dogs' creative director says the Wii U version is graphically a step up from current-gen versions.

While it's no secret that the Xbox One and the PS4 are graphically superior to Nintendo's Wii U, you would hope that it could at least out-perform its current gen cousins. Thankfully, Watch Dogs creative director Jonathan Morin has confirmed that the game will indeed look considerably better on the Wii U than on the PS3 and Xbox 360.

"I would say the Wii U version is pretty much in between what the current gen is and what the next gen is from a version standpoint," Morin replied.

"It's hard to position it. I would tend to say it's maybe a bit closer to current gen than next gen for certain things but it's a beautiful game on Wii U and it's cool to play it just on the GamePad."

As for the game's Wii U exclusive features, Morin confirmed that Watch Dogs could be played on the Wii U GamePad in off-screen mode... but that's about it. "There are no new features or anything like that - it's the same game but we're optimising the controls for the beast that is the Wii U GamePad," he said.

Watch Dogs will launch on November 19 in North America and November 22 in Europe for PS3, Xbox 360, Wii U and PC. The PS4 and Xbox One versions will come after each console's respective launch.

On which platform will you be buying Watch Dogs for? Can your PC handle its ridiculous system requirements, or will this strictly be a console affair?

Source: Computer and Video Games [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/432984/watch-dogs-on-wii-u-is-superior-to-current-gen/]

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
I should bloody well hope it looks better on a system from 2012 than on one from 2006.

Apr 5, 2008
Well Wii U is more powerful so it should run better, but look better? How can that be? Surely the maps, object wireframes, textures and "zones" are all the same in terms of size. Have they got better textures, or higher poly models for the other versions? As much as that would be amazing, I highly doubt it since that's not how the game industry operates anymore. They make one game with the assets designed to run on the lowest performing platform, then just port it to the others wholesale. I can understand better framerates, maybe antialiasing or something like that, but I doubt there are any other significant changes.

Anyway, I will get this, but not at release. It'll be the PC version I play, but I'm not excited enough about this title to pay full price at launch (particularly if there'll be shitloads of DLC following). I'd rather wait for an all inclusive version. That may change depending on reviews and how good it turns out.

Infernal Lawyer

Jan 28, 2013
Zhukov said:
I should bloody well hope it looks better on a system from 2012 than on one from 2006.
They have to state this like it's a surprise because there's some retarded rumor that Wii U is less powerful than the last gen consoles from their competitors.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
You would kinda hope so, considering that the Wii U was supposed to be the beginning of the next generation (although some may say otherwise)

But then, I'm not sure how many people are going to buy it as the "middle-child" out of the bunch. People who will have the other next-gen systems aren't going to plump for the Wii U version, since it'll look worse, and I don't think people who don't have the next-gen systems are going to shell out for a Wii U for it to look slightly better than if they played it Xbox 360 or PS3.

Maybe if it had some unique features (which the Wii U would certainly be capable of implementing) then it would be a different story, but I think this might well end up bombing on Wii U, I'm afraid.

Eiv

Oct 17, 2008
Steven Bogos said:
Can your PC handle it's ridiculous system requirements, or will this strictly be a console affair?
Ugh? What, They are quite Mid Range nowadays actually.

Hoplon

Jabbering Fool
Mar 31, 2010
Leviano said:
Steven Bogos said:
Can your PC handle it's ridiculous system requirements, or will this strictly be a console affair?
An i7 is mid range now?

PC here, will be a nice winter game to keep my office warm if it taxes the 7970.

Rellik San

Feb 3, 2011
Leviano said:
Steven Bogos said:
According to whom?

The min specs might be mid-range, but the recommended certainly aren't.

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
Not a smite at the author at all, but should this really come as a surprise?

The sad thing is yes, seeing as how you've got people running around saying that the Wii U is on par with both of these consoles.

Of course the thing looks better on the Wii U than the PS360.

Nintendo have stated MULTIPLE times that it's better than the two consoles. Even the devs that ditched them early on said the same blasted thing.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Of course it will run better, WiiU is more powerful, duh.

KingsGambit said:
Well Wii U is more powerful so it should run better, but look better? How can that be? Surely the maps, object wireframes, textures and "zones" are all the same in terms of size. Have they got better textures, or higher poly models for the other versions? As much as that would be amazing, I highly doubt it since that's not how the game industry operates anymore. They make one game with the assets designed to run on the lowest performing platform, then just port it to the others wholesale. I can understand better framerates, maybe antialiasing or something like that, but I doubt there are any other significant changes.
Its all about texture compresion. With more powerful machine you can use less compressed textures, which would make it look better. Pretty much any game downscales its textures anyway to be able to work on current machines well enough as they are usually developed on fat faster machines than your average home console/pc

GoaThief

Reinventing the Spiel
Feb 2, 2012
Strazdas said:
Of course it will run better, WiiU is more powerful, duh.

KingsGambit said:
Its all about texture compresion. With more powerful machine you can use less compressed textures, which would make it look better. Pretty much any game downscales its textures anyway to be able to work on current machines well enough as they are usually developed on fat faster machines than your average home console/pc
Well the Wii U's GPU is weaker than the PS3's as an example, I don't think it will come down to that. What it does have however is 1gb of RAM reserved for games, and in an open world title like Watch Dogs that will certainly put it in a better position than it's 7 year older brethren.

Nintendo defence force clicky here [http://lmgtfy.com/?q=wii+u+on+par+with+ps3]. Wii U is definitely on a rough par with soon to be previous generation consoles.

DelphiSantano

Feb 11, 2009
Cool, I'm probably going to be picking it up on the Wii U anyway.
I have a 360 but I've got hardly any reason to use it anymore barring BioShock: Infinite's DLC, my PC is a Mac, I don't have a PS3, I might buy a PS4 but it'll be far from launch and like hell am I buying the XBOne.

bandit0802

Dec 24, 2008
Funnily enough, I'm getting it for the Wii U. It was a mentality of "Well, I need some games for it", but now I have something to gloat about to my friend who's getting it for the PS3 :p I had a feeling they were gonna make it playable it on just the Gamepad, so now I know I can play the game while I'm watching TV (yay, multitasking!). What I would like is an option to turn the Gamepad completely off if I'm playing with the Pro Controller, because that controller's more comfortable when I'm playing it on the TV and I'd rather not waste the Gamepad's already short-lived battery.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
This is like winning the fail prize right? The fact that it's even newsworthy that the next-generation console performs better than tha consoles released half a decade before it tells you all you need to know

MrPhyntch

Nov 4, 2009
I was going to buy Watch Dogs for the Wii U originally, seeing how well it could work on the gamepad with touch-screen and all. But now, if it doesn't really have anything unique, then I may just go PC. We'll see how these "control optimizations" work out, that may be just what I was hoping for in the first place.

Eiv

Oct 17, 2008
Rellik San said:
Leviano said:
Steven Bogos said:
According to whom?

The min specs might be mid-range, but the recommended certainly aren't.
They aren't asking for a Titan, 8gb of Ram is standard. The only thing that might be considered high end is the Processor. Saying that though, they aren't asking for a haswell. This Really isn't the same as when Crysis released. Most PC gamers can play this quite easily.