Get The Witcher For Free at GOG

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Get The Witcher For Free at GOG

Customers who make any purchase at GOG before October 17th will receive a free copy of The Witcher: Enhanced Edition.

GOG has a pretty extensive library spanning multiple genres and time periods. That being the case, if there are any games among the site's multitudes that you've been itching to buy, now may be the time to do it. We say that because the online retailer has launched a new promo that could arguably be counted as one of its better recent deals. Until October 17th, any purchase you make at GOG will be rewarded with a free copy of The Witcher: Enhanced Edition.

Launched to close out GOG's fifth anniversary celebrations, The Witcher giveaway was announced alongside <a href=http://www.gog.com/news/special_promo_get_dragon_commander_40_off_win_a_dragon>another promotion centered around the recent strategy RPG <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/10504-Divinity-Dragon-Commander-Review>Dragon Commander. Firstly, GOG is offering shoppers a 40 percent discount on the game until October 14th. Additionally, however, the digital retailer is also giving away two custom miniatures based on dragons from the game. If you're interested in entering to win one of the minis you can head over to the <a href=https://www.facebook.com/gogcom>GOG Facebook page.

While the Dragon Commander promo and contest are both pretty nifty in their own right, we will admit that getting The Witcher for free does rank a bit higher on the scale of awesome, in our opinion. While it definitely has <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/2672-Review-The-Witcher>some rough edges, and is arguably dwarfed by its <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/8905-The-Witcher-2-Assassins-of-Kings-Review>superior sequel, The Witcher: Enhanced Edition is still a fun RPG that offers a ton of depth along with an interesting, branching storyline. It's a title that fans of role-playing really should give a try.

Alluos

Nov 7, 2010
I can't be the only one who sees a wolf with a buzz-cut when I see the Witcher logo in the thumb-nail...

Well it's not as if there's any shortage of things worth buying on GOG so... I'm all for this!

otakon17

Jun 21, 2010
Hell I already have it, still I haven't even played past the prologue yet on it. Played the sequel though, combat is a lot more challenging on that one.

aelreth

Dec 26, 2012
DVS BSTrD said:
Great now if only I had a PC to play it on. Or to access GOG with.
Register an account. Buy it and something else you are interested in. Then download it at your earliest convenience.

Sometimes you just have to buy something even when it's inconvenient or even something you don't like to get a good deal.

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
Meh, tried it, got bored out of my mind after half an hour (sooner than that actually, but I really TRIED to endure it). The combat system is just atrocious or at least very much not to my taste and the camera angles were not far behind, or rather in front. I appreciate there's probably a good story and so on behind it, but I just can't suffer through the gameplay for it.

Don't mean to knock anyone's liking of the game. If you liked the gameplay or were able to tolerate it, cool, wish I could too. But clicking around is something that just kills me, I can't get into the game at all because of it.

That said, the reason I gave up on the second game was that it was better designed for a controller than a K&M setup (rolling to the side wouldn't acknowledge the movement key iirc, but it was a while ago). Apparently, that was fixed later and I've picked up a PS3 in the meantime, so I might just give it a go with my controller. It seemed like a good game, I just gave up on it after dying so many times because the controls were messed up and I literally couldn't get my character to listen to me.

So, pass on buying a game I don't need to get a game I don't like "free" (that title could use an addendum), but cheers for getting me to think about playing TW2 again :)

rapidoud

Feb 1, 2008
Urgh, I hate it when this stuff is labelled as free. It's a bundle, or a two-for-one deal. Saying it's free heavily implies that it is actually free and has no strings attached.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
ITS NOT FREE. you have to pay money to buy something to recieve this as a bundled object. now GOG is all well and good and the items i bought from them have been great (AC, EE, DK)[footnote]great if you get what these games are[/footnote], i currently dont want to buy anything there, but i would want the witcher for free. however they arent giving me any.

Zac Jovanovic

Jan 5, 2012
Vrach said:
Meh, tried it, got bored out of my mind after half an hour (sooner than that actually, but I really TRIED to endure it). The combat system is just atrocious or at least very much not to my taste and the camera angles were not far behind, or rather in front. I appreciate there's probably a good story and so on behind it, but I just can't suffer through the gameplay for it.

Don't mean to knock anyone's liking of the game. If you liked the gameplay or were able to tolerate it, cool, wish I could too. But clicking around is something that just kills me, I can't get into the game at all because of it.
Yup, it took me 3 one-hour tries to get into that game, over the span of a couple months.
I just kept getting frustrated at the combat and quitting. After the third time I finally got used to the combat system enough for it to be tolerable and a few more hours in the game sucked me in like a 10 dollar hooker.

It ended up being easily in my top 10 list, I think I replayed it 3 or 4 times.

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
Zac Jovanovic said:
Vrach said:

Yup, it took me 3 one-hour tries to get into that game, over the span of a couple months.
I just kept getting frustrated at the combat and quitting. After the third time I finally got used to the combat system enough for it to be tolerable and a few more hours in the game sucked me in like a 10 dollar hooker.

It ended up being easily in my top 10 list, I think I replayed it 3 or 4 times.
Yeah, I'm not having a hard time believing you, I've heard a thousand times about how good it is and I'm a story guy myself, love a good one. But I just can't be arsed with it, at least not for a good while, I've got plenty of good games to play yet to spend my time being frustrated at bad design.

I'm not into games like Diablo either because I hate combat being based around clicking and I've gotten very tired of the MMO setups for the same reasons I can't be arsed with Witcher, I hate not feeling my character actually do stuff. I can play Dark Souls for countless hours and do the same thing, because I can feel every hit, every parry, every block, I press a button and my character does it. Witcher on the other hand wants me to synchronize my mouse clicks. I didn't have any problems with it difficulty wise - I didn't die because of it and got frustrated because I couldn't get used to it. I just got so bored that I couldn't trudge through that, regardless of the story behind it. And I hated the camera in the game, the OTS is somehow awful (feels like an inbred child of the first person and third person perspectives, not close enough, not far enough, some awful middle nudged to a side) and the top down just made the game feel more like Diablo to me.

AlwaysPractical

Oct 7, 2011
So after reading halfway through this aritcle, I created a GOG account, got Dungeon Keeper Gold and Theme Hospital, two games I have always wanted to try, and got this free. 3.50 Euros well spent.

Stryc9

Elite Member
Nov 12, 2008
That sucks, I can't actually buy games there because all the transactions are done overseas and my bank card doesn't allow for that.

ThunderCavalier

Nov 21, 2009
Strazdas said:
ITS NOT FREE. you have to pay money to buy something to recieve this as a bundled object. now GOG is all well and good and the items i bought from them have been great (AC, EE, DK)[footnote]great if you get what these games are[/footnote], i currently dont want to buy anything there, but i would want the witcher for free. however they arent giving me any.
Exactly what I thought.

I don't exactly have money to throw around right now.