Darkest Dungeon Explores The Psychological Toll of Adventuring

IanDavis

Blue Blaze Irregular 1st Class
Aug 18, 2012
Darkest Dungeon Explores The Psychological Toll of Adventuring

The upcoming RPG evokes both Dark Souls and XCOM.

It seems that Red Hook Studios wants to dispel two myths: first, that RPG's are too easy, and two, that evil is something that can be killed with a sword. Set in the modern tradition of "what doesn't kill you only twists your mind, leaving you a fragile shell of a man", [a href=http://www.darkestdungeon.com/]Darkest Dungeon[/a] recognizes that monsters aren't the only thing to fear: there are also brutally hard RPGs to deal with! While it doesn't show any gameplay, the recently released trailer does demonstrate the kind of horror that awaits adventurers in poorly-lit subterranean passageways.

"Darkest Dungeon is intended for gamers who appreciate a tough-but-fair challenge and want to experience dungeon crawling in a way they never have before," Red Hook Studios [a href=http://www.darkestdungeon.com/faq/]warns[/a]. A key feature will be managing your team of heroes as you plunge further and further into darkness. "You will recruit, equip, and manage a stable of over 16 heroes, and watch as their experiences organically mold and shape them in positive, and...not-so-positive, ways," it continues. Meaning, they'll go mad, develop new powers, and fight amongst themselves in what the company is describing as Dark Souls meets XCOM.

If that sparks your interest, know that Red Hook will likely be funding it via Kickstarter soon, so pay attention. Darkest Dungeon is currently set for a 2014 release on PC, Mac and Linux, and Red Hook is also ""considering all appropriate options at this point in development, including consoles and tablets."

Source: [a href=http://www.darkestdungeon.com/]Red Hook Studios[/a]

plugav

Mar 2, 2011
Pretty cool idea. Reminds me a bit of Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay - which never did get a proper videogame adaptation, as far as I know.

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
If it's not real time combat then yes it sparked my interest.

I hate it when games like this demand real time actions from you. You need to think during these games, which you can't do when they are hammering at you and you are in a party of four.

**** Souls got away with it thanks to agro zones and a slow learning curve, where you observe the enemy first, can see what their weapons are discern it's attack patterns, usually only meet 1-2 enemies of a new type at the same time so you are not overwhelmed and so on.

There is no way in hell though I am pulling the same stuff as in Grimrock where we were literally dancing around the enemies waiting for attack cooldowns.

Miss G.

Jun 18, 2013
I'll wait for the console release, hopefully by then all the kinks will be worked out and I'll have a more informed opinion on getting it.

KoudelkaMorgan

Jul 31, 2009
What if that was the gameplay?

Either way this is something that greatly interests me.

I got a captcha error because I don't grocery shop for any kids. Well looks like I better get some if I want to post here *grabs a large sack and some rope*

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Ugh... they didn't tell us anything about this game at all. The concept sounds awesome... but concepts aren't games. Call me when they actually have gameplay to show us.

dragonswarrior

Also a Social Justice Warrior
Feb 13, 2012
Welp. That trailer was amazing. After reading the website color me interested. I love RPG's, tactical games, and character interaction. I hope they can follow through on their claims...

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
VERY interesting idea!
Don't know if it'd be fun to play, really depends on how well they can implement things!

captainballsack

Feb 13, 2013
Very brilliant idea, but from what we've seen from the trailer, it doesn't look like they can pull it off well.

I want Attack on Titan level hopelessness. I want those ups and downs, I want the protagonist to have his underdog moment, realise his potential and conquer his fears, only to have his fantasy completely destroyed.

I want to explore what it means to be a survivor as much as I want to explore that dungeon.