Captain Philips - Sympathy for the Pirate

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Captain Philips - Sympathy for the Pirate

Captain Phillips could easily have been a simplistic action/rescue thriller or a maudlin made-for-TV potboiler, but instead it?s a powerful film even as it tries to strip the mythmaking out of a very human event that became a larger-than-life media moment.

Read Full Article

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
Not my cup of tea (Of the three, I only saw Green Zone and was thoroughly disappointed), but it would be nice to see this grab a few actor awards.

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
MovieBob said:
On April 12th, in an atypically public (for this sort of scenario) display of U.S. military power, a team of Navy SEALs rescued Phillips after taking out the remaining pirates with precision snipers.
Funnily enough, when I first heard this, I immediately thought of beautiful ship still anchored in your hometown's harbour [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Barbary_War], Bob.

I've been hearing a lot of good things about this film. Thanks for the recommendation, Bob!

Shjade

Chaos in Jeans
Feb 2, 2010
Not normally my kind of movie, but I dunno, might have to look it up sometime just to check out this Abdi fellow. For some reason I often find Hanks' counterparts more interesting to watch than he is himself; maybe he's got a knack for bringing out good interplay in people. Maybe it's just me. *shrug*

Off topic: Am I a bad person for getting distracted by the errors in this one? "Emphasize" for "empathize" in particular just kinda made my brain stall for a minute.

Darth Sea Bass

Mar 3, 2009
Shjade said:
Off topic: Am I a bad person for getting distracted by the errors in this one? "Emphasize" for "empathize" in particular just kinda made my brain stall for a minute.
Nope i was gonna say something similar myself.

I'm kind of a spelling Nazi though.

fnartilter

Apr 13, 2010
Darth Sea Bass said:
Shjade said:

Thirded. Stuck out like a boil on a bald man's brow.

I'm planning to see this movie more-so now. Initially my interest was sparked after watching The Project, a documentary about the Somali pirates. Which I saw at the Vancouver International Film Festival.

Nimcha

Dec 6, 2010
This sounds great, if only for the fact that it's resistant to politics. There can never be enough movies based on true events like that.

SecondPrize

Mar 12, 2012
This is just my own hangup about the whole thing but is there any mention about how these pirates are all former fishermen and commercial fishing fleets decimated their fishing grounds and destroyed their livelihoods?

AgDr_ODST

Cortana's guardian
Oct 22, 2009
SecondPrize said:
This is just my own hangup about the whole thing but is there any mention about how these pirates are all former fishermen and commercial fishing fleets decimated their fishing grounds and destroyed their livelihoods?
Within the movie yes actually the captain of the pirates briefly mentions the matter in one of the many tense scenes when they're in the lifeboat with Phillips.

Sarge034

Feb 24, 2011
SecondPrize said:
Source? Last I checked Somalia was generally poverty stricken and held by several warlords. Not to mention the fact that groups, like Al Qaeda, often pay these warlords to attack shipping lines and there are even dedicated pirate training camps. That is the problem I have with films like this. I am shown a man in poverty and am supposed to understand why he resorts to violence and show sympathy. The problem is, I don't care. They made the choice to attack unarmed merchants, fuck em.

Source- Just google, "al qaeda pays somali pirates"

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
This is good?

Well, I've been watching a lot of more arthouse stuff lately, like Elysium and The Great Gatsby, so I might go see this. I mean, I saw Drive on your recommendation and that seems to have sparked a trend of sorts.

BarbaricGoose

May 25, 2010
Darth Sea Bass said:
Shjade said:

Well, I'm kind of a grammar Nazi, and as a spelling Nazi, you should know that both of those words were spelled correctly. They were not, however, used correctly. YOU'RE STEALING MY BUSINESS! :(

On topic: I'll have to check it out. I'm WAAAAAAAAAAAY behind on my movies, though; I still have to watch shit like Elysium and... I don't know, The Avengers, I guess.

Zetatrain

Sep 8, 2010
Country
United States
Sarge034 said:
SecondPrize said:
Source? Last I checked Somalia was generally poverty stricken and held by several warlords. Not to mention the fact that groups, like Al Qaeda, often pay these warlords to attack shipping lines and there are even dedicated pirate training camps. That is the problem I have with films like this. I am shown a man in poverty and am supposed to understand why he resorts to violence and show sympathy. The problem is, I don't care. They made the choice to attack unarmed merchants, fuck em.

According to Wikipedia its seems that the first Somalian pirates were fisherman. After the fall of Somalia's last dictator, the Somalian navy disbanded and foreign fishing companies began fishing in Somalian territory. There are also claims that corporations seized this opportunity to use the Somalian shoreline as a dumping ground. So with most of the fish either being snatched up by illegal foreign competition or killed off by pollution it seems logical that some fisherman would resort to piracy.

That being said I doubt all or even the vast majority of pirate nowadays are poor fisherman with nowhere else to turn. Given how profitable piracy has become it's only logical that it would attract people outside Somalia's fishing community. A lot of the pirates, specifically the ones doing the boarding, are most likely ex-militia. Given the rise of radical Islam in the region over the past few years, it doesn't surprise me that Al Qaeda may be paying some of the pirates to raid ships.

Given how poverty stricken Somalia is the rise of piracy would have happened without or without the fisherman getting screwed over (though granted it certainly didn't help).

As for sources

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piracy_in_Somalia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radioactive_waste_dumping_by_the_%27Ndrangheta

Sarge034

Feb 24, 2011
Zetatrain said:
According to Wikipedia its seems that the first Somalian pirates were fisherman. After the fall of Somalia's last dictator, the Somalian navy disbanded and foreign fishing companies began fishing in Somalian territory. There are also claims that corporations seized this opportunity to use the Somalian shoreline as a dumping ground. So with most of the fish either being snatched up by illegal foreign competition or killed off by pollution it seems logical that some fisherman would resort to piracy.

That being said I doubt all or even the vast majority of pirate nowadays are poor fisherman with nowhere else to turn. Given how profitable piracy has become it's only logical that it would attract people outside Somalia's fishing community. A lot of the pirates, specifically the ones doing the boarding, are most likely ex-militia. Given the rise of radical Islam in the region over the past few years, it doesn't surprise me that Al Qaeda may be paying some of the pirates to raid ships.

Given how poverty stricken Somalia is the rise of piracy would have happened without or without the fisherman getting screwed over (though granted it certainly didn't help).

As for sources

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piracy_in_Somalia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radioactive_waste_dumping_by_the_%27Ndrangheta
That is all good and well that the first Somali pirates were fishermen who got screwed over, it is also inconsequential as these are not the first Somali pirates. The part I took issue with was the other poster trying to make all these people to be the poor wronged downtrodden masses. A few do it to survive I'm sure, but most do it to get rich quick now. They have terrorist backing, work for murderous warlords, assault and kill civilian non-combatants, and I'm supposed to feel anything other than joy when they get what's coming to them, all 180 grains of it? (That's a bullet joke for whoever didn't know.)

Also, I appreciate the sources but I would caution you from using the wiki. Most of the time it is spot on, but other times it can be incomplete, misleading, or simply wrong. Just a friendly tip.

Zetatrain

Sep 8, 2010
Country
United States
Sarge034 said:
That is all good and well that the first Somali pirates were fishermen who got screwed over, it is also inconsequential as these are not the first Somali pirates.
Who can say for sure? They may not be the first, but they could very well be fisherman that are still getting screwed over by the effects of illegal fishing and dumping that were previously mentioned. The less opportunities there are to make an honest living the more likely one will resort to unsavory means of making ends meet.
Sarge034 said:
The part I took issue with was the other poster trying to make all these people to be the poor wronged downtrodden masses. A few do it to survive I'm sure, but most do it to get rich quick now. They have terrorist backing, work for murderous warlords
Again just speculation on my part, but since some are being back by terrorists and warlords it possible that the pirates get a rather small part of the ransom and the majority goes to his backer. Not saying this is the case for all of them as I do believe a good number of them do it for the get rich quick part of the job, but it's something I thought I'd point out.

Sarge034 said:
assault and kill civilian non-combatants, and I'm supposed to feel anything other than joy when they get what's coming to them, all 180 grains of it? (That's a bullet joke for whoever didn't know.)
I guess it all depends on what you think are the most likely reasons and/or circumstances these men went into piracy for.
EDIT: I don't condone these actions but the whole Somalian piracy issue is not so black and white.

SecondPrize

Mar 12, 2012
Sarge034 said:
SecondPrize said:

The source is a great many news stories when this was a big thing. If you'd rather see someone watch their family starve, I dunno, that's pretty odd. Google is never a source.

Darth Sea Bass

Mar 3, 2009
BarbaricGoose said:
Darth Sea Bass said:
Shjade said:

Well, I'm kind of a grammar Nazi, and as a spelling Nazi, you should know that both of those words were spelled correctly. They were not, however, used correctly. YOU'RE STEALING MY BUSINESS! :(

On topic: I'll have to check it out. I'm WAAAAAAAAAAAY behind on my movies, though; I still have to watch shit like Elysium and... I don't know, The Avengers, I guess.
We should team up and fight crime! :p