Space Hulk Goes Viking, Adds Steam Sale

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Space Hulk Goes Viking, Adds Steam Sale

Say hello to the Wolf Guard, and its three mission campaign Fangs of Fenris.

Full Control's latest expansion for its turn-based Space Hulk [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/122465-Space-Hulk-Returning-to-PC-Mobile] game is Fangs of Fenris, featuring the elite Wolf Guard, first written waaaaay back in White Dwarf #200 and now available in digital form. Sharpen your Frost Blade and get your Wolf Claws ready for this new three mission campaign. If you're feeling keen but don't have the game yet, you may want to wait until October 12th, since Full Control's celebrating the expansion with a 24 hour Steam sale. Space Hulk will be discounted by 33% for one day only; it's currently $29.99 on the Steam store.

"When it came to selecting the first expansion chapter for Space Hulk we felt that the introduction the Space Wolves would be both a great addition to the game," says Thomas Hentschel Lund of Full Control, "and a nod to the fact that our studio is based in the heart of Scandinavia, the Viking kingdoms of the past."

Space Hulk, for those not familiar with the franchise, is one of Games Workshop's finest, a strategy title in which you, as the Emperor's Space Marines, invade the interstellar ball of junk that is the Hulk. This is your chance to avenge past defeats, and reclaim your ancestors' honor, but beware: Genestealers lurk within, eager to tear your soldiers limb from limb.

If you're not a Steam fan - really? - Space Hulk is also available on Mac, and iOS devices.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
DVS BSTrD said:
Not sure how Viking we're going here...
Beards and accessories is about as far as it goes. Looting as well, since its Space Hulk.

Oh, and everything will likely be named wolf-something.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
gigastar said:
DVS BSTrD said:
Beards and accessories is about as far as it goes. Looting as well, since its Space Hulk.

Well, dunno how it is now, but back in the day they went to a bit more effort to paint a Viking veneer on the Space Wolves.

OTOH, the Space Wolves are men genetically engineered by strange techno-magics into superhuman monsters that fight aliens and daemons across the galaxy. This was not the case of all Vikings, approximately half of them were women.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
gigastar said:
DVS BSTrD said:

Ahh, the famous Matt Ward Wolf codex alomgside the Blood and Mary Sue codexes are what will be his greatest legacy.

The game is just a straight port of the board game and not that good, I wouldn't pay more than $10 for it.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Ed130 said:
Ahh, the famous Matt Ward Wolf codex alomgside the Blood and Mary Sue codexes are what will be his greatest legacy.
Hey? Didn't Phil Kelly do the most recent one?

(Ah, the good old days when mere CS Goto was the worst thing to happen to 40k)

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
thaluikhain said:
Ed130 said:
Hey? Didn't Phil Kelly do the most recent one?

(Ah, the good old days when mere CS Goto was the worst thing to happen to 40k)
Phil Kelly did indeed do 5th Edition Space Wolves. He's the one responsible for the WolfWolfWolfWolf everything scheme.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Soviet Heavy said:
Phil Kelly did indeed do 5th Edition Space Wolves. He's the one responsible for the WolfWolfWolfWolf everything scheme.
Hasn't that been a fixture of the space wolves more or less forever though? Even in the Johnson/Chambers/Thorpe codex, there were Wolf Scouts and Wolf Priests, for example.

Breywood

Jun 22, 2011
I've never played the tabletop game, but I still have the CD published by EA in '93 which was quite a bit of fun, even if frustrating and unfinished. This looks good. Too good for my old 2.5GHz P4.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
thaluikhain said:
Soviet Heavy said:
Hasn't that been a fixture of the space wolves more or less forever though? Even in the Johnson/Chambers/Thorpe codex, there were Wolf Scouts and Wolf Priests, for example.
Yes, but the newest codex just plays it up so much that it loses all meaning. The fenrisian wolves being used as cavalry, naming armor and weapons after wolves. There's more bad puns in the Space Wolves codex than in all the werewolf bits from Harry Potter.

Makabriel

May 13, 2013
Hmm, wonder if the IoS version's going on sale too..

edit

"Full Control's celebrating the expansion with a 24 hour Steam sale"
Meh, nevermind

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
I will pick this game up.

When it is 3.99 on a steam sale. I love 40k but this did not tickle my fancy.

Sir Shockwave

Jul 4, 2011
Ed130 said:
gigastar said:
DVS BSTrD said:

The game is just a straight port of the board game and not that good, I wouldn't pay more than $10 for it.
...Except that the Space Wolves codex was Phil Kelly's work, not Matt Ward. Now Blood Angels on the other hand... X3

OT: Price slash you say? Still not sure about picking it up though. It doesn't look particularly...great, I suppose.