A Link Between Worlds Introduces New Princess, Villain and World

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
A Link Between Worlds Introduces New Princess, Villain and World

The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds will unveil the mirror world of Lorule, the princess Hilda and a new villain named Yuga.

For some time now we've known that The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds would be a sequel to the franchise's classic SNES entry A Link to the Past. Now, Nintendo has released a new trailer for the game and revealed story details including the identity of the game's villain, a new princess and Hyrule's mirror world "Lorule."

The trailer itself wastes no time in showing off these new elements, as well as more of the game's painting mechanic, which allows Link to flatten himself a against a wall and travel along it to access otherwise unreachable areas. From the look of things this power will actually originate from the game's villain, the evil sorcerer Yuga.

From what's shown, the painting power will also be used to access the game's secondary world: Lorule. Lorule appears to be very much a darker version of Hyrule, something arguably evidenced by the giant, creepy shadow monster the trailer exhibits at the 1 minute, 47 second mark.

Lorule will be governed by Hilda, a mirror of Zelda. According to producer Eiji Aonuma, the "conflict" between Zelda and Hilda will play a significant part in the game's the story. "Naturally they're both princesses, and they both have kingdoms, and they're both thinking about their kingdoms," he said. "But they also have different desires (and) different motives each to their own. How those interact and conflict is how the story develops." All in all, these new details have us even more interested in this game. What do you think about how A Link Between Worlds is shaping up?

Source: <a href=http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/10/12/nycc-zelda-producer-reveals-new-princess-lorule-kingdom-and-item-upgrades>IGN

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
...So considering this is a sequel, did the light/dark world just got completely forgotten? Still, I would to know who many people would just buy a 3DS for one game. I won't.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
If Lorule is Hyrule's mirror world and it has it's own bootleg Zelda, is there also a bootleg Link somewhere? If there is he can't be a hero because Hilda says Lorule needs one. Maybe Lo-Link is that blacksmith type guy or some kind of villain?

2xDouble

Mar 15, 2010
Really? Hyrule and Lorule? Is there a "Midrule" in between? or does this universe not have a middle class?

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Hilda and Zelda? Is there going to be a Sabrina cameo?

Also it look like the villainess is Ganon mother or sister?

Psychobabble

. . . . . . . .
Aug 3, 2013
mad825 said:
...So considering this is a sequel, did the light/dark world just got completely forgotten? Still, I would to know who many people would just buy a 3DS for one game. I won't.
Oddly enough this game has me fighting my normal cynicism and has me seriously considering buying the 3DS just to play this.

2xDouble

Mar 15, 2010
Scarim Coral said:

I don't see why not. Sabrina was the name of the friendly witch in A Link to the Past. ...or am I thinking of Link's Awakening?

Neither. It would be his mirror twin, most likely. ...which raises some interesting questions about "princess" Hilda, does it not?

mad825 said:
Halyah said:
Though like someone above mentioned, what happened to the dark world? Is Lorule the dark world? Or is it just an alternate dimension?
You did't read the epilogue at the end of Link to the Past, did you? Let's just say, Ganon's defeat and the recovery of the Triforce had pretty significant effects on the "dark world". By all means, play it (or play it again) and find out!

Ultress

Volcano Girl
Feb 5, 2009
2xDouble said:
Scarim Coral said:

I don't see why not. Sabrina was the name of the friendly witch in A Link to the Past. ...or am I thinking of Link's Awakening?

Neither, his mirror twin... which raises some interesting questions about "princess" Hilda, does it not?
I'm pretty sure her name is Maple,who helps her master,Syrup.Seriously.

OT:While Lorule is kind of a silly name I'm still really excited for this.

fluxy100

May 22, 2010
So we have a light Hyrule and a Dark Lorule with a princess Hilda. Didn't the Legend of Zelda already have a well liked and established Princess of the Dark version of Hyrule? Seems like a missed opportunity to bring back a fan favorite character.

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
They also called the new land Lorule, which means whoever thought up that name should be sent to a corner and think about what they have done.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
Mmh, the painting powers feel like a moodbreaker to me, I don't mind it as a portal to another dimension, but using it to be able to transform in a (living)painting yourself? Eh, not to fond about it.

And as other's have pointed out: appearantly no middle-class in LoZ? Not that "Lorule" is a good choise of a name in the first place.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Dragonbums said:
They also called the new land Lorule, which means whoever thought up that name should be sent to a corner and think about what they have done.
You're probably right, but the name cracked me up. And so did the female Ganondorf thing. Wow

Surprisingly, it looks much much better than the last trailer I saw for it, and I really dig the music.

Chatboy 91

Feb 25, 2011
2xDouble said:
Really? Hyrule and Lorule? Is there a "Midrule" in between? or does this universe not have a middle class?
Well, there is the Twilight realm. That sort of qualifies as being in between the two.

OT: Not super hype about this one. Never was a huge fan of the 2D games, so we'll see how it does when it comes out.

Flunk

Feb 17, 2008
This sounds really lame. Oh well, at least I'll never play it. I'm not seeing any reason to ever get a 3DS.

I think I've given up on Zelda after Skyward Sword disappointed me so badly. I really loved Wind Waker and Twilight princess but I could barely get through the first dungeon of Skyward Sword before I gave up. That game is all needless gimmick and repeated Zelda tropes. After Wind Waker's innovative mechanics and Twilight Princess basically making the perfect pure Zelda experience I think I'm done with the series.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
Honestly, this really doesn't look like it's shaking up the formula, just adding a gimmick and arbitrarily changing a few minor details (the villain being a woman instead of Gannon, etc.). I'm was hoping for a real shake-up of the Zelda franchise.

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
Halyah said:
... If Zelda and Hilda are the rulers of their respective kingdoms then why aren't they given the correct title?
Maybe Hyrule and... eugh... Lorule are principalities and they're just called kingdoms on the tourist brochures or something. Or maybe because ZOMG SAVE PRINCESS. All those years ago if kids were supposed to go out and save Queen Zelda or Queen PeachToadstool, I'm sure some would ask why her husband didn't get off his ass and do it himself*. And then you have to explain the difference between a queen regnant and a queen consort and then it just gets messy. Socio-political commentary wasn't really the NES's long suit.

(* The damsel in distress is rarely married/dating, and if she is her man is the hero. She is the prize after all, and who would want to go risk their life to win someone else a prize?)

Halyah said:
Or is their fathers/mothers still around, but just conveniently not present? >_>
King Harkanian is busy having dinner. He'll get back to you in a bit.