Pokémon X and Pokémon Y Break 3DS Sales Records

Josh Engen

Aug 19, 2013
Pokémon X and Pokémon Y Break 3DS Sales Records

Pokémon X and Pokémon Y, the newest titles in Nintendo's Pocket Monsters franchise, have become the fastest selling games in 3DS history.

Earlier today, Nintendo announced that more than four million copies of Pokémon X, and Pokémon Y have made their way into consumer hands. This means that Nintendo's latest Pokémon titles have become the fastest-selling 3DS games in the console's history. And if sales continue to climb, it won't be long before X and Y have sold more copies than titles like Animal Crossing: New Leaf and New Super Mario Bros. 2.

"The early response to Pokémon X and Pokémon Y not only reaffirms the ongoing passion of Pokémon fans, but also indicates that an entirely new generation of gamers is eager to experience the franchise for itself," said Nintendo President Satoru Iwata.

The fact that Pokémon X and Pokémon Y are popular isn't surprising, but these titles are smashing records at break-neck speed. According to Nintendo, X and Y are "tracking ahead of the last Pokémon RPG titles, Pokémon Black 2 and Pokémon White 2, by more than 70 percent."

Ever since Nintendo released the Wii U, the developer has had a difficult time rediscovering its footing. But with the combined success of The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD and Pokémon, Nintendo may be rediscovering its fan base. Keep your fingers crossed.

Source: Press Release [http://press.nintendo.com/articles.jsp?id=40736]

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Doom needs Yoghurt, Badly
Dec 12, 2009
Welp, if they can't do Home Consoles, at least everyone knows to stay the fuck away from Nintendo's Hand-Held Market.

templar1138a

Dec 1, 2010
Of course they're selling fast! I'd been waiting for a Pokémon game with the features Y has ever since I first played Pokémon Stadium! Game companies pay attention to money, so I hope Nintendo will connect the dots.

Also, Pokémon is NOT an RPG (not even a JRPG). It's a strategy game.

Silverspetz

Aug 19, 2011
templar1138a said:
Of course they're selling fast! I'd been waiting for a Pokémon game with the features Y has ever since I first played Pokémon Stadium! Game companies pay attention to money, so I hope Nintendo will connect the dots.

I'd say it's a JRPG with a strategy combat system. Good to see they are selling well. Maybe we will get "Pokémon Z" sooner than expected.

Hectix777

Feb 26, 2011
Silverspetz said:
templar1138a said:

I'd say it's a JRPG with a strategy combat system. Good to see they are selling well. Maybe we will get "Pokémon Z" sooner than expected.
Yeah I'm leaning towards both, almost like Fire Emblem Awakening but more RPG bits. Still, I wanna give props to this game for being the first one I can remember that has actually mentioned a war. Does anyone know how exactly wars are fought with pokemon?

Eiv

Oct 17, 2008
Hectix777 said:
Silverspetz said:
templar1138a said:

Yeah I'm leaning towards both, almost like Fire Emblem Awakening but more RPG bits. Still, I wanna give props to this game for being the first one I can remember that has actually mentioned a war. Does anyone know how exactly wars are fought with pokemon?

"Hey kid! What do you think your doing here? You won't live long in combat!

That's for sure! I tell you what kid, electric Pokemon saved me during the war!"

You now realize that there was a war in Kanto.

Your father died, and your rival lost his parents.

You are amongst the first generation of people to live in peace at post-war time. "
--LT. Surge

There?s a theory floating around the interwebs that paints a dark, horrific history of the Pokémon world, or at least Red/Blue?s Kanto region. Many players have noted that in Pokémon Red/Blue, there is a large absence of middle aged men in the game world. Think about the last time you played Pokémon. An abnormally large amount of Pokémon trainers chillin? in the wild were little kids. Think about it. Why were there so many damn toddlers roaming the wilds unattended? There were plenty of elderly men and women in the world (Professor Oak), and many middle aged women (the player?s mom, the nurses), but a lack of middle aged men. What about the player?s father, or your rival?s father? While most people wouldn?t worry about the absence of middle aged dudes, some Pokémon fans have rationalized this through the creation of yet another insane theory.

The electric-type gym leader, Lt. Surge mentions being a survivor of some sort of brutal war that almost took his life (he claims that his Pokémon saved his life). Other trainers in the gym were once soldiers in some sort of army, which presumably fought in a war. A war where Pokémon were used as weapons. Let that sink in for a moment, as you try to imagine the horror of hundreds of terrified soldiers storming beaches being held by goddamn Charizards. Some fans believe this war was the cause of the lack of adult men, claiming that all of them had been killed in the war. Essentially, some people are speculating that this war caused a ?generation kill?, and that the young children of the Kanto region are the first generation to find peace. This also explains why the player?s father is absent (hint, he died), and why the rival character has no parents (hint, they died). While a lot of this theory involves speculation and imagination, the horrifying idea of a human-Pokémon war that wiped out an entire generation is pretty damn sweet.

TheEvilCheese

Cheesey.
Dec 16, 2008
Fastest selling 3DS game means little so far, this being the first pokémon game on the system (no, spinoffs don't count). What remains to be seen is the lifetime sales of X and Y. I mean, ruby and sapphire sold 13-14m total, which is half of the originals. Pokémon will continue to print money for some time and it would be nice to see the 3ds hardware sales figures for the next few weeks.

But I personally think these are the best yet. Too easy of course, but I'm having a blast breeding and training my early competitive 'mons and experimenting with new / different features. I've already played nearly 60 hours of X. I didn't have 60 hours played in black 2 for six months.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Leviano said:

That's for sure! I tell you what kid, electric Pokemon saved me during the war!"

You are amongst the first generation of people to live in peace at post-war time. "
--LT. Surge

There?s a theory floating around the interwebs that paints a dark, horrific history of the Pokémon world, or at least Red/Blue?s Kanto region. Many players have noted that in Pokémon Red/Blue, there is a large absence of middle aged men in the game world. Think about the last time you played Pokémon. An abnormally large amount of Pokémon trainers chillin? in the wild were little kids. Think about it. Why were there so many damn toddlers roaming the wilds unattended? There were plenty of elderly men and women in the world (Professor Oak), and many middle aged women (the player?s mom, the nurses), but a lack of middle aged men. What about the player?s father, or your rival?s father? While most people wouldn?t worry about the absence of middle aged dudes, some Pokémon fans have rationalized this through the creation of yet another insane theory.

The electric-type gym leader, Lt. Surge mentions being a survivor of some sort of brutal war that almost took his life (he claims that his Pokémon saved his life). Other trainers in the gym were once soldiers in some sort of army, which presumably fought in a war. A war where Pokémon were used as weapons. Let that sink in for a moment, as you try to imagine the horror of hundreds of terrified soldiers storming beaches being held by goddamn Charizards. Some fans believe this war was the cause of the lack of adult men, claiming that all of them had been killed in the war. Essentially, some people are speculating that this war caused a ?generation kill?, and that the young children of the Kanto region are the first generation to find peace. This also explains why the player?s father is absent (hint, he died), and why the rival character has no parents (hint, they died). While a lot of this theory involves speculation and imagination, the horrifying idea of a human-Pokémon war that wiped out an entire generation is pretty damn sweet.
You killed my childhood...seriously.

Silverspetz said:
Ohh there will be Pokemon Z...This will be the legendary...

Silverspetz

Aug 19, 2011
arc1991 said:
Leviano said:

--LT. Surge

You killed my childhood...seriously.

Silverspetz said:

I know, and can I just say how sweet it is that we now have a Pokémon Cthullu. Because that would be freaking awesome. Can't wait to see what its story is.

ZehMadScientist

Oct 29, 2010
arc1991 said:
Silverspetz said:

I'm hoping they go full DARKNESS and make a Pokemon Zero. It will be set 3000 years prior to the story of X and Y and will follow the story of a brave soldier and his partner [starter Pokemon here] during the war against the King.

Pokemon: Back to Zero, you know the end, now back to where it all began...

I can dream ok?

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
Hectix777 said:
Silverspetz said:
templar1138a said:

I actually consider pokemon x nobunaga to be canon, so...

(if you're looking for fire emblem pokemon that may be something to check out)

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
Why does the URL say Pok-mon? Can't you just use a normal 'e' if you can't use 'é'?

[sub][sub][sub]Not a criticism, just curious.[/sub][/sub][/sub]

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
and thus the cult of Pokemon continues. Seriously, it'll be interesting to see how much this sells before the year is over

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
Oh but of course!

I mean, the amount of people I streetpassed on my campus alone with either Pokemon X and Y is insane.

Don't even get me started on the midnight launch line.

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
Hectix777 said:
Silverspetz said:
templar1138a said:

Answer to Fire Emblem:

Answer to Wars (At least in the olden days):

This game is pucking ferpect as a pokemon game. In all seriousness I think the Even Generations of pokemon games are my favorite. Gold and Silver and Platinum were the greatest pokemon games I've ever played. But Damn this one blew my already high expectations out of the water.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
Dragonbums said:
Oh but of course!

I mean, the amount of people I streetpassed on my campus alone with either Pokemon X and Y is insane.

Don't even get me started on the midnight launch line.
E-shop wasn't much better on launch. Connection issues galore for the first couple hours.

At my campus, the ratio is about 7-8 out of 10 people on average are playing either x or y. Pretty impressive stuff.

templar1138a

Dec 1, 2010
bringer of illumination said:
templar1138a said:
Why?

It has the exact mechanics of a classic, boilerplate turn-based JRPG, except your characters are called "pokemon"

Final Fantasy Tactics is a strategy game, Fire Emblem: Awakening is a strategy game.

Pokemon is a turn-based RPG.
Excuse me, but your attempt at validation did not address the two key letters in RPG: RP, which stands for "Role Playing".

It's not a WRPG because you can't make character portrayal choices to fulfill an empowerment fantasy. Nugget Bridge from Red/Blue is a PRIME example. It's only with X/Y that we begin to see character appearance customization options. But then again, you could paint your ships in color sets in Homeworld, and nobody thinks that's anything but a strategy game.

It's not a JRPG because the Pokémon games have all had very weak narrative with little or no character development. That's supposed to be the focus of JRPGs.

You do not play a role in Pokémon. You amass units to wipe out the other units. Therefore, it is a strategy game.

lapan

Jan 23, 2009
I just hope that for the next few games they start adding more content agin. While i'm enjoying it, the post game content is awfully short, especially compared to Gen 2

templar1138a said:
Excuse me, but your attempt at validation did not address the two key letters in RPG: RP, which stands for "Role Playing".
You will find that very few games in the genre RPG feature actual role playing. The genre title isn't used in its literal sense by a majority.