Sony Describes a "Perfect Day" in Surreal Ad

Cognimancer

Imperial Intelligence
Jun 13, 2012
Sony Describes a "Perfect Day" in Surreal Ad

Sony's ad campaign for the PS4 is off to a much better start than last generation's oddball approach.

It doesn't look like Sony's ever going to live down its bizarre advertising campaign [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqkNPcUMffU] for the PS3's launch, but at least the company learned from its mistakes. With exactly one month left until the big PlayStation 4 launch, Sony has released a solid new ad spot featuring a "perfect day" of gaming bliss, to the delightful tune of the Lou Reed song. And who doesn't love a peaceful little sing-a-long while gleefully slaying your enemies online?

Check the video out for yourself, especially if you're an Elder Scrolls or Killzone fan. Both games get the live-action treatment as a nod to The Elder Scrolls Online and Killzone: Shadow Fall, which are both headed to the PS4. There's also some nondescript racing game; if you can tell which one it's supposed to be then you've got a better eye for this than I do. (Update: Thanks to jct31294 for identifying it as Drive Club!)

Personally I think the Michael commercial [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/113486-Sony-Lifts-One-to-Michael-in-Awesome-PS3-Ad] is Sony's best ad so far, but this is still quality stuff. Expect to see more ads like this when the PS4 goes live on November 15.

Source: PlayStation [http://playstation.greatnessawaits.com/]

jct31294

Oct 15, 2013
The racing game nod is to drive club. The logo for the game is on the hood of the car.

I liked the ad, but it needs more Kevin Butler!

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
jct31294 said:
All the ads need more Kevin Butler. Man I really miss those ads as they always gave me a smile.

OT: And not a porcelain doll in sight, already better than last gen in my book as that doll from the last gen scared the ever living crap out of me.

Dr.Awkward

Mar 27, 2013
...And the first one is also a nod to Elder Scrolls Online, by the way. The third should be obvious, of course.

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
Neronium said:
jct31294 said:
All the ads need more Kevin Butler. Man I really miss those ads as they always gave me a smile.

OT: And not a porcelain doll in sight, already better than last gen in my book as that doll from the last gen scared the ever living crap out of me.
That's not going to happen, after what happened.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Eri said:
I know, but a person can still dream can't he?
*stares longingly at a picture of Megaman Legends 3*
*a single tear goes down my cheek*

Helen Jones

Oct 31, 2011
Nice ad, only think it's a slight shame they went with bro bro bro, bro bro bro bro bro, bro.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
I like that gaming isn't completely dominating their lives in this one. They do cool stuff, they have each other, and games are just another awesome part of that

Helen Jones said:
Nice ad, only think it's a slight shame they went with bro bro bro, bro bro bro bro bro, bro.
I like to think that there's some romance there (at least in the subtext =D), so at least there's that

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
I quite enjoyed this one. Sony's been bringing some great ads this year. The "Greatness Awaits" commercial with tons of Easter Eggs still makes me smile. This one isn't as good, but still solid.

Out of curiosity, has there been any actual Xbox One ads? I mean ones that actually advertise it as a gaming system, for clarification.

jct31294 said:
To be fair, all ads need more Kevin Butler.

Vie

Nov 18, 2009
Now I'm having flashbacks to that charity single the BBC did back in 1997.

And having a 90's music binge... ..I blame you for this Brett Slabaugh.

Josh123914

They'll fix it by "Monday"
Nov 17, 2009
Saltyk said:
Out of curiosity, has there been any actual Xbox One ads? I mean ones that actually advertise it as a gaming system, for clarification.
Y'know I was just thinking this during the ad, Microsoft's ads all seem to come from the same pristine clean world the Wii's had, where everyone on the planet has 5 square metres of free space in their living room.

But the Wii's target audience for those were mainly young families and pensioners. This? THIS is your competition MS!

Then again, Sony does have a multitude of movie studios to help them out so *shrug*, I guess it isn't entirely one-sided.

kailus13

Soon
Mar 3, 2013
Saltyk said:
They did make this one. It's really kinda creepy. Like they're all Stepford people.

Pity really, 'cause the 360 had some great ads.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Not bad, and loads better than the PS3 commercials that they had in the beginning.

I still love the 'Michael' commercial, and every single Kevin Butler one for that matter.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
kailus13 said:
Saltyk said:
They did make this one. It's really kinda creepy. Like they're all Stepford people.

Pity really, 'cause the 360 had some great ads.
(Snipped the videos)

Okay, that first one could literally be about nearly anything. Just change the ending graphic and you can make it about anything you want. A Friends marathon, a very special episode of Dateline, cable, Bioshock Infinite. Anything. Take out the line about the relationship with your TV and you could make it a public service announcement telling people to get tested for STDs.

The second one is pretty epic. Honestly, the ad this thread is about seems to be reminiscent of that particular ad. It kinda makes me want a 360 even now.

But we all know what people really want. To watch the NFL.