Watch Dogs PS4 and Xbox One Bundles Will Ship Without Game

MarlaDesat

Aug 22, 2013
Watch Dogs PS4 and Xbox One Bundles Will Ship Without Game

Amazon and GameStop have confirmed that customers who preordered the bundle will have their consoles ship on release.

The announcement today that Ubisoft's Watch Dogs would not be released until its Facebook page [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/128707-Watch-Dogs-Delayed-to-2014]:
For those of you who pre-order the Watch Dogs PlayStation 4 bundle-don't worry-you will still be getting your PlayStation 4 (without Watch Dogs) based on your current delivery estimate. We are adjusting the orders now and will update you once we know more.
Whether or not Amazon will be including a different game in place of Watch Dogs, or simply shipping the game to customers upon its 2014 release is not clear. GameStop has also confirmed that preordered bundles will ship as scheduled, and offers customers a choice between another bundle or waiting to receive Watch Dogs later. In a statement to Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/amazon-says-they-plan-to-honor-all-ps4-watch-dogs-bundl-1445846459], GameStop said:
With the news that Ubisoft has delayed the release of the highly-anticipated title Watch Dogs until next year, GameStop is contacting customers who had reserved PlayStation 4 and Xbox One bundles featuring the game. Customers can elect to keep their current bundle orders and their consoles will ship as scheduled with the game shipping separately once it is available or customers can choose another bundle to replace their current order. Customers should also note that there may be a difference in the price if selecting another bundle and that all reserved orders will be charged upon shipment.

The confirmation that customers will still be receiving the next generation consoles might still be cold comfort to some. Watch Dogs has been highly anticipated since its announcement at E3 2012 and the delay was unexpected so close to release. Watch Dogs was poised to be a launch title on both PlayStation 4 and Xbox One. Ubisoft has revised its financial targets down [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/128715-Watch-Dogs-Delay-Batters-Ubisoft-Financial-Targets] in light of the delay of both Watch Dogs and multiplayer racing game The Crew. Both titles will miss the November console launches and the holiday sales season.

Source: Forbes [http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidthier/2013/10/15/if-you-pre-ordered-a-watch-dogs-ps4-or-xbox-one-bundle-youll-still-get-your-system/].

Amethyst Wind

Apr 1, 2009
Oh this better be a fantastic game, Ubisoft. I'm talking game-of-the-decade quality, because this is one colossal cock-up.

dragongit

Feb 22, 2011
Cock-up of the decade potentially, Watch Dogs was a good reason many people were getting next gen consoles, myself included. I didn't get a bundle mind you, but I did pre order the PS4 with Watch Dogs at Gamestop. I predict there will be a lot of pulled pre-orders before the day is out.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Amethyst Wind said:
Oh this better be a fantastic game, Ubisoft. I'm talking game-of-the-decade quality, because this is one colossal cock-up.
It's a misstep, as long as the game's good this won't matter once you've got it.

A colossal cock up is releasing a game on time knowing full well that there is some glaring bug or non-functioning elements, like say... GTA Online, SimCity, Diablo III, FF XIV, Star Wars: The Old Republic. That's a truly fantastic way to burn through your hype, good will and then your sales figures all while spending vast sums flailing about trying to make the game work. Ubisoft are making the right (and an unusually brave) decision pushing it back to fix whatever the problem is.

Seracen

Sep 20, 2009
I'm more perturbed that they didn't see this coming before now. It's more annoying to be less than a month from release before the pushback...as opposed to half a year before the same announcement.

NB to the OP: you stated "Gamespot" instead of "Gamestop" once before the 2nd quotation, thought you'd like to know.

SKBPinkie

Oct 6, 2013
There isn't a single launch title on either platform that interests me, besides this. Now that even this is coming out next year, I see no reason to get a console before March / April.

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
I am excited to play it now, I'll be excited to play it in a few months. This is a shrewd move, but it could be, potentially, a good one.

Systems often blow their load at launch and then what does everyone say? They say how the new system has no games and needs support and blah blah blah. So we now know that a hotly anticipated game that has to be close to finished will be up in 6 months. Not the worst news I've heard this week.

Or maybe it'll come out around the same time as DESTINY or Titan Fall and I'll just not care.

Whichever.

Ipsen

Jul 8, 2008
ZZoMBiE13 said:
I am excited to play it now, I'll be excited to play it in a few months. This is a shrewd move, but it could be, potentially, a good one.

Systems often blow their load at launch and then what does everyone say? They say how the new system has no games and needs support and blah blah blah. So we now know that a hotly anticipated game that has to be close to finished will be up in 6 months. Not the worst news I've heard this week.

Or maybe it'll come out around the same time as DESTINY or Titan Fall and I'll just not care.

Whichever.
Funny, this is kind of how I can see the Wii U's approach in a positive light; they hold back their A-list games until they feel they are perfect, instead of, as you put it, blowing their load at launch (often to less than stellar effect, too). Wii U has many other problems other than that [footnote]Read: Mixed messages for dummies, 'kids games', inexplicable but very real lack of 3rd party support, etc.[/footnote], but it's the one question people seem to ask the most when they want to want the Wii U: Where's Mario/Zelda/Metroid/Kirby/Donkey Kong/Pokemon/Smash?

Then proceed to bash them for being the same IP's.

thisbymaster

Sep 10, 2008
Any another kick to the balls of preorders. At this point it should be somewhere in its' chin.

Infernal Lawyer

Jan 28, 2013
If Ubisoft wants to run on Valve-time, let them. Let them actually delay the release date to fix the game rather than push out a broken, buggy mess. I can only say "good on ya Ubisoft". After all, a delayed game will (hopefully) eventually be good, but a rushed game is terrible forever.

That was a bastardized quote btw :p I'll... I'll just go now.

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
Ipsen said:
ZZoMBiE13 said:

Whichever.
Funny, this is kind of how I can see the Wii U's approach in a positive light; they hold back their A-list games until they feel they are perfect, instead of, as you put it, blowing their load at launch (often to less than stellar effect, too). Wii U has many other problems other than that [footnote]Read: Mixed messages for dummies, 'kids games', inexplicable but very real lack of 3rd party support, etc.[/footnote], but it's the one question people seem to ask the most when they want to want the Wii U: Where's Mario/Zelda/Metroid/Kirby/Donkey Kong/Pokemon/Smash?

Then proceed to bash them for being the same IP's.
I'm waiting for a Kirby game myself. Or a sequel to Elite Beat Agents. Either one of those and I'd buy a WiiU by Christmas.

l3o2828

Mar 24, 2011
Well, That's the only reasonable way it can go.
Here's hoping that the PS4 itself doesn't delay itself either.

Mr C

May 8, 2008
Well, I finally have the motivation to wait. My mind is pretty set on getting a PS4 first and this title was first on the list this holiday. Now I can wait and see which next-gen console will actually be best for me, which is the smarter decision but M$ were making the purchase of a PS4 so easy, except Titanfall looks awesome!!!

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
Don't buy next-gen consles, you're only encouraging this anti-customer bullshit if you do, and you know how shitty things are going to be before you buy them.

If you still buy them, everyone has the right to blame you for making gaming worse.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Nurb said:
Don't buy next-gen consles, you're only encouraging this anti-customer bullshit if you do, and you know how shitty things are going to be before you buy them.

If you still buy them, everyone has the right to blame you for making gaming worse.
It's anti-consumer to delay a game thats not ready? Colour me suprised. Seriously I dont understand what your refering to regarding anti-consumer behaviour here.