Civilization V Scrambled Map Packs Mess With Your World

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Civilization V Scrambled Map Packs Mess With Your World

One pack's out now, the other's due soon.

Civilization V: A Brave New World [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/10464-Civ-V-Brave-New-World-Review-Trade-Conquers-All] introduced a fun new scenario for the Livingstones among you: Scramble For Africa, which let you explore, exploit and build railroads through the African continent. The continent is dynamically generated, creating a whole new Africa each time you play. Two new map packs are on their way, taking advantage of this cunning idea: Scrambled Continents, and Scrambled Nations.

The idea behind each is simple. Take a real world continent, or a nation, and recreate it; but with all the resources, natural wonders and other goodies randomly generated, so you don't always have the same game with the same tactics. Africa, Asia, North and South America, Western Europe, the Middle East, a thawed Antarctica, plus one map including all of Earth's continents, and other fun stuff, will be available in Continents. Or for the Nations crowd, there's Canada, Australia, Japan, Scandinavia, Great Britain and China to go crazy in.

Scrambled Continents [http://store.steampowered.com/app/235584/] is out now, while Scrambled Nations is due November 5th. Both cost $5.

Source: Game Informer [http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2013/10/15/civilization-v-getting-two-new-map-packs.aspx]

Nimzar

Nov 30, 2009
I dunno. Five dollars seems too high for a map pack. If it were $2.50, I'd consider it (and still think it was costly for what you get). I guess if the price gets lowered to under $2 during a sale I'll pick it up.

Mromson

Jun 24, 2007
Yes, let's milk this sheet! Which would have been fine by me, but given how they add expansions to fix issues with the game (without fully fixing them), I can't justify giving them any more of my money.

seditary

Aug 17, 2008
No mention of the patch that improves the game immensely?

And people wonder why DLC is such a thing.

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
I have no interest in the map packs.
I'll just get Gods And Kings and Brave New World at some point.

KungFuJazzHands

Mar 31, 2013
Aren't there, like, a dozen different mods that do the same freaking thing?

Yeah, keep milking that game 2K.

Branovices

Oct 15, 2008
jackdeesface said:
piinyouri said:
I have no interest in the map packs.
I'll just get Gods And Kings and Brave New World at some point.
I cant speak for brave new world, but gods and kings is excellent.
Brave New World is even excellenter. Totally reshapes the modern era and makes it an enjoyable experience instead of a slog to whichever victory conditions you'd chosen a thousand years prior.

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
Mromson said:
Yes, let's milk this sheet! Which would have been fine by me, but given how they add expansions to fix issues with the game (without fully fixing them), I can't justify giving them any more of my money.
^This. The game's still broken to the point of being unplayable and it's been over 3 years. Unless I'm wrong and you no longer get crashes in late game? Kinda doubt it and even if they fixed it, I can't imagine the optimization's any better, it's fucking awful in Civ5

Adeptus Aspartem

Jul 25, 2011
Vrach said:
^This. The game's still broken to the point of being unplayable and it's been over 3 years. Unless I'm wrong and you no longer get crashes in late game? Kinda doubt it and even if they fixed it, I can't imagine the optimization's any better, it's fucking awful in Civ5
Wow, that's the first time i hear something like that. Never ever had a problem with Civ - any of them. Does it overburden your processor in the later turns or what?

Currently Civ5 is the go to game for me, when the rest of the industry only produced a pile of turd again.
Which means im playing it alot. :D

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
Adeptus Aspartem said:
Vrach said:
Wow, that's the first time i hear something like that. Never ever had a problem with Civ - any of them. Does it overburden your processor in the later turns or what?

Currently Civ5 is the go to game for me, when the rest of the industry only produced a pile of turd again.
Which means im playing it alot. :D
I played it on the release, then 6 months after, then about a year and a half later. Possibly more, can't quite remember. In all cases (and yes, I've played with a lot of DLCs bought as I wanted to host a cool game for me and my friends to play Hotseat, so any upgrades up to Gods and Kings, I had them), whenever I played and got to turn 500ish or so, the game would become literally unplayable. I'd get random crashes, trying to load the game again would result in a crash about 75% of the time and every turn would take a solid 5 minutes for the AI.

It was also terrible panning across the map, because as soon as I discovered a few continents (I played Earth map huge, every time, always have in Civ games), let alone get the whole map revealed, it would actually start to lag during panning through the map, an issue not helped by Civ choosing to auto select military units/workers on the other side of the map, panning through the whole map (one DLC/update said they've fixed that... they didn't).

Before you think my PC perhaps wasn't up to code, it is. I surpassed their (btw way too high for a turn-based game) recommended specs and then some. I also tried playing in DirectX 9 because I heard the 11 version is way more fucked up or demanding and it helped... but it still crashed, though later in the game (it did do me the supreme favor of getting my hopes up that I might actually finish a game).

I'll admit, I play Civilization games in an unusual way. I don't go for the normal victories, I like to play my games till the bitter end, playing a huge Earth map and achieving total domination over every other nation, basically taking over the world. But it's a supported option that they put in and heck, I don't even play on Marathon mode that would make every normal game last a LOT longer.

I also know it's not an isolated case, I've searched for solutions on the issue and found a ton of people who had problems. A lot of them had ridiculous PC setups, I'm talking i7 processors, the most expensive graphic cards for the time and a ton of RAM. All of them had the same problems, lag from lousy optimization that not even their ridiculously powerful PCs could overcome and constant crashes. Most of them (in fact, possibly a huge 90% majority) didn't play like me, but played the regular victory modes and still couldn't finish their games.

So yeah, don't get me wrong, I love the game, in theory. The way the game itself works is brilliant and I love me some Civ. But from a technical perspective, it's the worst game I've encountered (and that's not an overstatement). I've played Bethesda games everyone complained about and never had any serious issues (a few crashes, but I can deal with that, it was nothing constant). I played through Alpha Protocol that many people said was unplayable and just didn't have any issues at all, played it through a few times. I've never had a game crash on me so much and be so unplayable and I went through a lot of these "troubled" games. Civ V, for me at least, was the only one that became completely unplayable and I gave it more than a fair number of chances (and note, I did not even mention here the many, many bugs that were there upon release that I could simply look past).