Coinstar Can Convert Change to Xbox Live Currency

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
Coinstar Can Convert Change to Xbox Live Currency

Rixty and Microsoft form a partnership that allows people to turn their change into Xbox Live gift cards.

Change builds up fast over time and doesn't do much in small amounts. Kiosks like Coinstar let you deposit your bags of change and receive something more useful like a gift card. Payment platform Rixty and Microsoft have announced a partnership to provide Xbox Live gift cards and Gold memberships through distributors like Coinstar and Great Lakes Scrip Center.

Any company interested in dispensing Xbox Live and Windows Phone Store codes and gift cards can partner with Rixty. "Rixty is already an established alternative payment platform for online games, and we're proud to be selected as one of the few approved Xbox Live Gift Card and Gold Membership wholesalers," Rixty CEO Ted Sorom said in a press statement, Polygon reports. "By expanding our channels to nontraditional resellers, such as loyalty and incentive programs, we're giving these partners access to lucrative new products and consumers more convenient ways to obtain their favorite entertainment content."

Rixty's Xbox Live gift cards are available from $5 to $100 and can be redeemed on any Xbox console or in the Windows store. Coinstar is available in many grocery stores in the U.S. When using Coinstar for Xbox Live currency, select Xbox Live, deposit coins, and select the option to receive a gift card or e-certificate. Coinstar also allows you to donate your change to charity. Great Lakes Script Center [http://www.glscrip.com/howscripworks/faqs.aspx ] is a distributor like Coinstar in which it sells gift cards to non-profit organizations' members in bulk.

Coinstar will take a fee when converting change into cash but does not do so when converting change to a gift card. Coinstar also works with reloading prepaid debit cards, Paypal, and gift cards for many stores, including GameStop and Amazon.

Source: Polygon [http://www.xbox.com/en-US/live/promotions/coinstar]

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Nice idea, but in my area the only types of people I see using coinstar are either too poor to be buyin' Xbox cards, too old to know what an Xbox is unless they have grandkids that still visit, or too strung out to have kept an Xbox out of the pawnshop.
I'd use it though.

Sherrie Ricketts

May 17, 2013
That's awesome. I know a few students who don't have credit cards and sometimes ask me to buy things for them online. I'll point them in this direction so they stop bugging me. XD

Sherrie Ricketts

May 17, 2013
kiri2tsubasa said:
Considering that Coin-star takes about $.089 out of every $1.00 what is Rixty and Microsoft going to charge on top of that?
When I turn in my coins, they don't take a fee if I'm getting an Amazon card or other card. They only take a fee if I get cash.

Edit: From the article: "Coinstar will take a fee when converting change into cash but does not do so when converting change to a gift card."

rofltehcat

Jul 24, 2009
Wait, why don't people go to their bank to have their change collected and placed on their account? When I was little every bit of change went into a box and every 6 to 12 months I took it to the bank to have it placed on my bank book. Or do American banks charge you for something like that? German banks use it to make children get used to build up savings and do bank business, so it is basically long term marketing for them.

Midniqht

Beer Quaffer
Jul 10, 2009
Great, maybe I'll actually do something with all the coins I have now. Free(ish) Xbox monies!

Darren716

Jul 7, 2011
rofltehcat said:
Wait, why don't people go to their bank to have their change collected and placed on their account? When I was little every bit of change went into a box and every 6 to 12 months I took it to the bank to have it placed on my bank book. Or do American banks charge you for something like that? German banks use it to make children get used to build up savings and do bank business, so it is basically long term marketing for them.
American banks do that also but you have to roll the coins first so it's easier for them to count the money while coin star automatically counts any random change and since basically every large store in the countty has one it is more convinent then going to the bank.

mixadj

Oct 23, 2010
Darren716 said:
rofltehcat said:
American banks do that also but you have to roll the coins first so it's easier for them to count the money while coin star automatically counts any random change and since basically every large store in the countty has one it is more convinent then going to the bank.
Not entirely true. My credit union has a coin counter(like a coin-star machine) that prints out a receipt that you can walk over and give to the teller to deposit into your preferred account.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Darren716 said:
rofltehcat said:
American banks dont have coin counters? Odd every bank I've seen in Australia has them as standard. Sounds like the US really is getting behind the times.