Elder Scrolls Online Details Character Creator in New Video

IanDavis

Blue Blaze Irregular 1st Class
Aug 18, 2012
Elder Scrolls Online Details Character Creator in New Video

A new video shows that there's many different ways to tattoo an Elf.

Lets face it: character creation is key to an MMO. An MMO without a good character creator would be like a shooter without multiple weapons, or an RPG without an inventory. When stepping into a virtual world, it's important to have an avatar that fits. To that end, ZeniMax is showing off the character creator for the upcoming Elder Scrolls Online, showcasing the many ways you can play god with its various fictional races.

In a new video ZeniMax Online's art director Jared Carr offers a walkthrough of the tools players will have to craft their avatars. The Elder Scrolls games are known for their customization, so to make an online version, ZeniMax knew that "it had to be a thorough system with lots of customization options."

Like most games, it will feature a host of sliders that you can fiddle with until you get things just right. There's the height and weight sliders, but also ones for shoulder width and hand size. TESO also seems to lack the typical "boob slider", which is promising. There's also a huge range of tattoos to choose from, which can cover either just the face or the entire body. More importantly, the sliders actually seem to have noticeable effect, so your dreams of role-playing an overweight Argonian master assassin are within reach.

Even if you like what you see, you'll still have to wait until 2014 to play with it. When it does launch, The Elder Scrolls Online will be available on PC, Mac, Xbox One and Playstation 4.

Source: [a href=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFhB6bSZLRw]Zenimax Online[/a]

Voulan

Jul 18, 2011
Oh, why did I watch this? It only reminded me of how I can't play it because of those subscription fees and how much I'll be missing out on.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
IanDavis said:
...so your dreams of role-playing an overweight Argonian master assassin are within reach.
Finally, Lives-In-Trailer-Park will stalk the shadows as he was always meant to do!

Seriously, though... this character generator looks even more robust than Skyrim's was. I think I'd love it if they went ahead and backported that. They won't, of course... sigh.

Kargathia

Jul 16, 2009
It's not like I'll be playing another subscription-based MMO, but I do have to say: I loooove the overweight option. So many games only let you pick a flavour between "ripped", and "ahnold" - not to mention anything about trying to find body type mods for skyrim females that aren't best described as "two melons on a stick".

JaceArveduin

Mar 14, 2011
I actually went the other way: I had the smallest, scrawniest argonian I could make, and then made him a hammer-wielding dragon knight.

UsefulPlayer 1

Feb 22, 2008
Voulan said:
Oh, why did I watch this? It only reminded me of how I can't play it because of those subscription fees and how much I'll be missing out on.
I'm still kinda hyped for a decent MMO to be on consoles, should be a game changer.

But I don't think subscription MMOs can come back, or this game isn't the one to make it happen anyway. So I expect they would repeal that soon enough, I'm not in a rush to do next-gen consoles anyway.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
IanDavis said:
TESO also seems to lack the typical "boob slider", which is promising.
I fucking LOVE the irony of this statement. That TESO offers a super robust character creation system yet leaves out certain aspects that can actually be a big part of what makes a character and this is a "promising" aspect of the game? Does this mean that every female character in the game will have the exact same sized boobs? Because that's a terrible idea if you ask me. Or did they just replace the word "Bust" with some word less likely to offend your sensitivities?

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
TESO also seems to lack the typical "boob slider"
Cue countless people begging ZeniMax to put in a boob slider after release.

Kalezian said:
I dont think I could handle another SWTOR.
I thought SWTOR was a great game, or would have been if it had been a single player game and built around being such. The story is brilliant, but marred by throwing the usual MMO trappings into it. same for the gameplay mechanics.

Capthca: play a game

Yeah, which one Capthca?

Chester Rabbit

Dec 7, 2011
Shame I won't ever play this. Hopefully Bethesda steps up their character creation to this level with their next game.

Naqel

Nov 21, 2009
Guys. Guys! Don't Panic!

We all know what the "chest" slider they demonstrated on a male will do for females. Relax.

[REDACTED]

Apr 30, 2012
IanDavis said:
Yes! Finally, a game that does away with the ridiculous and sexist idea that people have different-sized breasts. Wait...

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
One thing I will point out and just to be clear I have not actually played the game/beta yet but over the internet I have read that you cannot actually make an overweight female. I hope this is not true but from youtube comments to a few obscure journals on various other sites collaborate this statement. While none of this can remotely be substantiated I honestly hope none of this is true as it feels like a major cop-out. On the other hand, maybe it is true but just for the beta as it has not been properly implemented yet.

I dunno. Can any Escapists clarify?

trollnystan

I'm back, baby, & still dancing!
Dec 27, 2010
Caramel Frappe said:
DUDE, spoilers in your avatar or WHAT?!

OT: Like Naqel said, the chest slider shown for men is probably the same for women only for boobs not muscles. No need to get into a tizzy. Although if it does turn out you can't make women fat like you can the men I'll be seriously annoyed.

AuronFtw

Nov 29, 2010
[REDACTED said:
]
IanDavis said:
Yes! Finally, a game that does away with the ridiculous and sexist idea that people have different-sized breasts. Wait...
How dare other games portray women with various levels of curved-ness. Fine-tuning every detail from eyebrow to chin shape is totally fine and not creepy or obsessive at all, but as soon as it comes to mammary glands, you better leave that shit alone or you're a women-objectifying sexist.

[REDACTED]

Apr 30, 2012
AuronFtw said:
[REDACTED said:
]
IanDavis said:
How dare other games portray women with various levels of curved-ness. Fine-tuning every detail from eyebrow to chin shape is totally fine and not creepy or obsessive at all, but as soon as it comes to mammary glands, you better leave that shit alone or you're a women-objectifying sexist.
In all seriousness: if you think getting offended at the female body is a feminist thing to do, YOU ARE DOING IT VERY WRONG.

Nexxis

Jan 16, 2012
Smilomaniac said:
Saulkar said:
One thing I will point out and just to be clear I have not actually played the game/beta yet but over the internet I have read that you cannot actually make an overweight female. I hope this is not true but from youtube comments to a few obscure journals on various other sites collaborate this statement. While none of this can remotely be substantiated I honestly hope none of this is true as it feels like a major cop-out. On the other hand, maybe it is true but just for the beta as it has not been properly implemented yet.

I dunno. Can any Escapists clarify?
It's actually in the video, where you have the fat/muscle/skinny triangle. They do it with a woman at one pont and the "fat" type wasn't exactly that fat.
Overweight, but not exactly obese, like the male model.

I guess you can read into it, but basically it's the lack of the proper option that annoys me.
Yeah, I noticed that,too. I don't think any of the characters looked obese, but the males did have a belly on them. The females just got thicker, but still kept their model curves which was a bit of a disappointment. I was also disappointed that they animal races still used human feet which I don't care for as a personal preference.

Other than that, I was happy when I saw the sliders for the argonian heads. I was worried all of them would be cartoonish and/or blocky like in the early images of them. The slider offered a lot more variety for it.