Yoshida: DriveClub Won't Be Here Till Early 2014

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Yoshida: DriveClub Won't Be Here Till Early 2014

The team wants more time to deliver on its vision. But, if you like Contrast ...

The rumor is true: DriveClub [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/128776-Rumor-DriveClub-Delayed-to-Spring-2014] isn't a PS4 launch title any more. This has been confirmed by Shuhei Yoshida, who says that the development team needs more time to deliver on its vision, "and I'm fully confident the game will surpass your expectations." There isn't a confirmed date yet; early 2014 is the most anyone's prepared to say.

DriveClub was supposed to be part of the PlayStation Plus Instant Game Collection at launch, and Yoshida confirmed that, when it does finally get here, it will be part of that Collection. However there is something here to sweeten the pill: Contrast, Compulsion Games' intriguing puzzle platformer with a surrealist touch, will be added to the Collection at launch, and it will be free, free, free. Hence the trailer; I figured you could do with a dose of Cissie Redgwick right about now.

"The extra time we're giving the team means the visuals and overall experience are only going to get better," says Yoshida. "We can assure you that it will be worth the wait." Let's hope so. In the meantime, gimmie that swing.

Source: PlayStation Blog [http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/10/18/driveclub-update/]

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Well like I said when Watch Dogs was delayed, I'd rather have a delayed game than a shit one, so if this does make it better then overall it is good news.

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
Will I guess this'll mean a stronger lineup for spring, which is usually a drought especially since this'll be post-console launch...

But still, with Watchdog gone, there may be a potential issue coming up for Sony in regards to actual game content; sure PR wise they're still much better off than Xbox One, but with Microsoft pushing the games lineup fairly heavily (remember, they did actually have a fairly impressive E3 showing even if nobody remembers it XD), we could be seeing a "PS4 has no games" perception being raised in the near future... Which could seriously hurt the brand.

It has to be pointed out that having a 'perception' of having no games might actually be worse than genuinely having no games; the PS3 suffered a reputation of having no games for a seriously long time, even though it did eventually develop a sizable lineup, and the Wii U is also suffering from a similar perception despite the announcement of a Zelda title and Mario title.

Also, Contrast looks feckin' badass. Do want.

MrBaskerville

Mar 15, 2011
Simalacrum said:
Will I guess this'll mean a stronger lineup for spring, which is usually a drought especially since this'll be post-console launch...

But still, with Watchdog gone, there may be a potential issue coming up for Sony in regards to actual game content; sure PR wise they're still much better off than Xbox One, but with Microsoft pushing the games lineup fairly heavily (remember, they did actually have a fairly impressive E3 showing even if nobody remembers it XD), we could be seeing a "PS4 has no games" perception being raised in the near future... Which could seriously hurt the brand.

It has to be pointed out that having a 'perception' of having no games might actually be worse than genuinely having no games; the PS3 suffered a reputation of having no games for a seriously long time, even though it did eventually develop a sizable lineup, and the Wii U is also suffering from a similar perception despite the announcement of a Zelda title and Mario title.

Also, Contrast looks feckin' badass. Do want.
I don't know about thay, they still got Infamous, Killzone, Knack and a handful of indie titles + multi platform games such as Battlefield, COD and Assassins Creed. I think they'll be fine, even though they have yet to announce anything i would want to buy.

It does look like a stronger lineup than ps3, i loved Resistance and Ridge Racer 7, but those weren't widely regarded as games worth playing, and as far as i remember, there really wasn't that many games at launch.