Nintendo Provides Advice on Avoiding Pokemon X/Y Bug

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
Nintendo Provides Advice on Avoiding Pokemon X/Y Bug

Nintendo will have a patch available to fix the bug in Lumiose City of Pokemon X and Y as soon as possible.

Saving your game in certain areas of Lumiose City in Pokemon X and Y can cause a game-breaking bug [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/128740-Potential-Save-Destroying-Bug-Found-in-Pokemon-X-and-Y ] in your game. Nintendo is working on a fix to the bug, which they will provide as a download from the eShop, but in the mean time there are ways to avoid the bug.

In a post on the company's Japanese website, Nintendo said it will have a fix soon. It provided a map of Lumiose City; saving your game in any blue-highlighted area could break your game and force you to restart. The blue-highlighted areas include North Boulevard, South Boulevard, the alley leading to Bleu Plaza, and the alley leading to Vert Plaza. Saving in buildings such as Pokemon Centers in the X and Y capital city should not prompt the bug.

The fix will fix corrupted files, so if you caught the bug after many hours, you could wait until Nintendo releases the patch instead of restarting your game. This may not help people who have already lost their save files. Pokemon has had bugs before, but never as frustrating as this one. Make sure to avoid saving your game on the major boulevards of Lumiose City. The fix will be on the eShop as soon as it is ready, which Nintendo says should be in a few days. The company apologized for any inconvenience the bug has caused.

Source: Nintendo Life [http://www.nintendo.co.jp/3ds/ekjj/info/index.html]

Josh123914

They'll fix it by "Monday"
Nov 17, 2009
Isn't it a bit weird that the first pokemon game with patches is also the first one with a game breaking glitch
Curious.....

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
That's good to know.

And it's a really big plus on the fact that it will fix your corrupted save.

I suggest we spread that around to many people on various social media sites who have caught the bug but haven't deleted their save yet. It will certainly save them from all the heartache and time spent.

sid

Jan 22, 2013
Josh12345 said:
Isn't it a bit weird that the first pokemon game with patches is also the first one with a game breaking glitch
Curious.....
why do today what you could do tomorrow?

Captcha: gee whiz

Chessrook44

Legacy
Feb 11, 2009
Country
United States
Josh12345 said:
Curious.....
Wasn't Missingno a game-breaking glitch if you caught it?

Uratoh

Jun 10, 2011
Chessrook44 said:
potentially...I forget if it was actually missingno itself, or another slight variation depending on RNG...either way, that glitch took knowledge and forethought to execute, this one is just kind of a thing.

Berny Marcus

May 20, 2013
Josh12345 said:
Curious.....

How so? These are the first main Pokemon games to go fully 3D, so glitches like this are bound to happen.

xyrafhoan

Jan 11, 2010
Uratoh said:
Chessrook44 said:
potentially...I forget if it was actually missingno itself, or another slight variation depending on RNG...either way, that glitch took knowledge and forethought to execute, this one is just kind of a thing.
I don't think catching Missingno was game-breaking in the way that this is game-breaking, but encountering Missingno definitely changed your cartridge forever. Viewing the Hall of Fame in Red/Blue version after using the Missingno trick actually scares me with the glitchy graphics and creepy music that isn't supposed to play...

It's sad to hear that such a major bug made it out of QA like this. Lumiose City itself is something very, very unique in Pokemon though so if there was anywhere for the game to glitch, I'm not surprised that it's here in one of the most graphic-engine stressing areas.

Arawn

Dec 18, 2003
That's one scary glitch. Saving your game might make you lose your game. I can't see how they missed something that big. They said forces you to restart does it crash the whole game or merely corrupt the save file? So saving and keep playing is possible?

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
Berny Marcus said:
Josh12345 said:
Curious.....

How so? These are the first main Pokemon games to go fully 3D, so glitches like this are bound to happen.
It's not even new to the series. Plenty of bugs have happened like this in the previous versions as well. They were just ironed out in Japan before they came here.

Leemaster777

Feb 25, 2010
Frankly, I'm surprised that they're getting it out this quickly. I was fully expecting this to take something closer to 2 weeks or so.

Glad to see Gamefreak's really on the ball. Glitches this game-breaking are never a good thing, but at least they're taking all the proper steps to make sure everything goes as smoothly as possible.

Also:

The Great JT said:
See this is why I just save in the Pokémon Center.
What he said.

Issurru

Jun 13, 2010
I must be super lucky then. Can't remember how many times I've saved in that city, would have been one sad panda had my game been corrupted

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
Thank god I found out about this before I started to play. Atleast the patch will be out soon enough and they put out a map to warn people where not to save in that city. I know about hindsight and all but I'm surprised such a major game breaking glitch like this got out.

Crazie_Guy

Mar 8, 2009
Luckily I rarely save or quit 3DS games. Unless I want to actually switch games, they stay perpetually on in sleep mode.

Headsprouter

Monster Befriender
Legacy
Nov 19, 2010
I'm still kind of scared, so I never save outside of a Pokemon Center.

The Great JT said:
See this is why I just save in the Pokémon Center.
Eyyyy! We're both paranoid!

cswurt

Oct 26, 2011
They should include the option to remove your @#$%ing hat as consolation for subjecting us to this bug.

Raine_sage

Sep 13, 2011
dalek sec said:
Thank god I found out about this before I started to play. Atleast the patch will be out soon enough and they put out a map to warn people where not to save in that city. I know about hindsight and all but I'm surprised such a major game breaking glitch like this got out.
Well as someone else pointed out above, normally bugs like this are caught in japan and ironed out for the global release so we never get bothered by them. Since X and Y were released globally and not in japan first we get to experience all the glitches together this time.

The other thing is the glitch is fairly rare. I'd saved in Lumiose in the blue zones a couple times and never experienced any freezing (thank god). Since the glitch is location and save specific I'm not surprised it managed to slip past the play testers. It's really hard to catch something like that unless you save the game every time you enter a new area, turn it off, and then boot it back up again. More than once since the lumiose freeze isn't guaranteed to trigger the first time.

Either way glad they're putting out a patch. If this were an older gen we'd just have to be careful.