Super Crate Box Gets An Official Commodore 64 Re-Release

IanDavis

Blue Blaze Irregular 1st Class
Aug 18, 2012
Super Crate Box Gets An Official Commodore 64 Re-Release

[vimeo=64230110]​

All the weapons and levels of the original, running on a 1MHz machine.

If you haven't played Super Crate Box, you should [a href=http://www.supercratebox.com/]correct that[/a] deficiency post haste. Before making games like Ridiculous Fishing and the upcoming Nuclear Throne, the dynamic Dutch due birthed Super Crate Box, a fast-paced arcade title that's as endearing as it is frustrating. Sure, retro is in, but what if the pixels just aren't retro enough? In that case, Vlambeer has ported their classic platformer back in time to the Commodore 64, with [a href=http://www.superbreadbox.com/index.php]Super Bread Box[/a].

Vlambeer managed to keep an impressive amount of the original in the C64 conversion. It includes all the original levels and weapons, three new maps, 16 playable characters, and a chiptune soundtrack, all running on a 1Mhz machine with 64KB of RAM. The cut-down 16KB version is free to download, while the full 64KB version is yours for $3.22. "If you don't like paying for games," Vlambeer suggests, "checkout the [a href=http://csdb.dk/search/?seinsel=all&search=Super+Bread+Box]Commodore Scene Database[/a] to see if anyone has managed to crack it" (spoilers: they have). These ROMs are intended for use in emulators, but will run on the real deal. You can even pick up an official (and quite collectable) cartridge for $48.56. There are also posters and a free soundtrack to further slake your game-lust.

Once you get up and running, you can even compete against the world using a unique high-score system. By entering your saved game code on the website, it will chalk you up on the global charts and even email you when/if you get bested.

Super Bread Box was originally made for the 2012 [a href=http://www.rgcd.co.uk/2012/04/c64-16kb-cartridge-game-development.html]Game Development Competition[/a], (which it won). Since then, Vlambeer has been working away at it, polishing it into the retro spectacle you see today. I can only imagine indie developers decades down the line porting their VR sims to the totally-retro Xbox 360.

Source: [a href=http://www.superbreadbox.com/index.php]Super Bread Box[/a]

Dr.Awkward

Mar 27, 2013
This is quite cool. If the box is to be believed, my uncle-in-law has one of the first 10000 Commodore 64s that were produced (although it was refurbished when bought). However, I don't know if he still has it, I just know he's got the box and disks.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
My dad had a C64, but he later traded it for the Amiga and I have very fond memories of the Amiga.

I'm actually amazed by how well it got ported over to an ancient machine like this, huge props for these guys!.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
MinionJoe said:
Finally! I've been waiting for a new release before dusting off the old C-64... And realigning the 1541 drives... And reloading tractor-feed paper into the 9-pin dot matrix printer...

Or maybe I should just let the old Commodore go...
Shut your mouth! Playing Sid Meier's Pirates!, Head over Heels, Giana Sisters, Impossible Mission and Californian Games is still a biennial treat for me. Now I have a new release to add to my classics.

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
I used to have three Commodore 64s. I don't actually remember what happened to them all, but I'm almost positive they're gone now. I could never keep the stupid disk drives working, anyway; almost every time I tried to read a disk that turned out to be bad (which was all too often), the drive would stop working for the rest of the day. I never understood that. And that's assuming the head didn't get knocked completely out of alignment and need to be serviced by my mechanical engineer of a dad. The Commodore 1541 was an absolute disasterpiece of engineering, right up there with the first-gen Xbox 360 and the Optigan. Ironically, that wouldn't be a problem if I bought this game, because it comes on a cartridge. (Smart choice.) I've never actually had a chance to use the 64's cartridge slot.

As for the game, well, I guess the only way to make your gratuitously-retro-style game stand out in the recent flood of them that's come out of the indie scene is to take it a step further like this and try to appeal to the hardcore retro crowd. Reminds me of how there was going to be a Homestar Runner game for the Atari 2600 for a long time, and then they gave up on it.

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
I won't buy the cart, but the three bucks for the download is more than worth it. Besides, I pirated so much as a kid it's about time I actually pay for a C64 game, hmmm?

MCerberus said:
I'm still waiting for Ducks Ahoy 2: The Duckening
Hey, now. Ducks Ahoy got me through an ugly bout of the flu with my sanity intact. I can still hear that chiptune Venetian music....

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
Formica Archonis said:
I won't buy the cart, but the three bucks for the download is more than worth it. Besides, I pirated so much as a kid it's about time I actually pay for a C64 game, hmmm?

MCerberus said:
I'm still waiting for Ducks Ahoy 2: The Duckening
Hey, now. Ducks Ahoy got me through an ugly bout of the flu with my sanity intact. I can still hear that chiptune Venetian music....
Then you should be even more mad there isn't a sequel!
Also Tooth Invaders: Revenge of Plaque
4Loco Tapper