Total War: Rome 2 Gets New Faction, Steam Workshop Support

IanDavis

Blue Blaze Irregular 1st Class
Aug 18, 2012
Total War: Rome 2 Gets New Faction, Steam Workshop Support

The historical strategy game gets bug fixes, free content and official mod support in the upcoming patch.

They say that Rome wasn't built in a day, and the same holds with Total War: Rome 2. While it launched last month, developer Creative Assembly still isn't done giving touch-ups to the strategy title. The developers announced that a new update will add a whole new faction and official mod support, by way of Steam Workshop.

Joining the throngs of other ancient civilizations are the Seleucids. Formed out of the dissolution of Alexander the Great's empire, The Seleucid's are described as possessing "expert cavalry" with "a solid core of excellent spear and pike infantry". The [a href=http://wiki.totalwar.com/w/Total_War:_Rome_II_-_Seleucid_Faction]official wiki[/a] offers more information, though most of it is historical and not gameplay related.

Even if the Seleucids aren't your style, you're sure to find something with the new Steam Workshop support, which will allow players to quickly download any of the creative mods that the community can program. The Workshop support has been in beta for a while now, so it's already seeded with [a href=http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/browse?appid=214950]various modifications[/a] to better tailor the historical battles to your personal tastes.

The update comes along with Patch 5, which adds well-needed tinkering to the game's innerworkings. It does everything from use less video memory to improve the AI's decision-making ability. All of the fixes await your perusal [a href=http://wiki.totalwar.com/w/Total_War_ROME_II:_Patch_5]here[/a].

Source: [a href=http://www.joystiq.com/2013/10/18/total-war-rome-2-gets-free-seleucid-empire-steam-workshop-supp/]Joystiq[/a]

Clive Howlitzer

Jan 27, 2011
It is gradually creeping towards what it should have been at release. Another 5-6 patches and it might finally be playable.

BarbaricGoose

May 25, 2010
Clive Howlitzer said:
It is gradually creeping towards what it should have been at release. Another 5-6 patches and it might finally be playable.
So it's not worth getting yet, huh?

Big TW fan here, but I held off on buying it because everyone said it had huge performance and gameplay issues. I take it most of those issues are unresolved?

I'm still enjoying Shogun 2, but I'm craving something more. I wanna get my Rome 2 on already. NOT keen on paying out the ass for a busted game, though.

Compatriot Block

Jan 28, 2009
The launch was a damn shamefur dispray. I think the whole Roman time period is really interesting, but I wasn't willing to commit 60$ with so much backlash from the fans. I bought Shogun 2 instead and have been having a blast figuring it out.

If they keep patching, I'll buy it when the price drops.

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
Clive Howlitzer said:
Ladies and gentlemen, every total war game ever

Clive Howlitzer

Jan 27, 2011
BarbaricGoose said:
Clive Howlitzer said:
So it's not worth getting yet, huh?

Big TW fan here, but I held off on buying it because everyone said it had huge performance and gameplay issues. I take it most of those issues are unresolved?

I'm still enjoying Shogun 2, but I'm craving something more. I wanna get my Rome 2 on already. NOT keen on paying out the ass for a busted game, though.
I'd wait awhile. I went back to using Shogun 2 and it is just a superior game in almost every way. I think Rome 2 still has hope though. You might want to wait until you can get it on sale around X-mas time.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
On the flip side I've been enjoying it thoroughly. I'm a bit of a modder though so I've been customizing the gameplay to my preferences.

The modding is a bit convoluted but incredibly functional.

The game does lack "character" though which has become more and more lost as time has gone on with successive Total War games. Little things like pre-battle speeches, agent success/failure videos, faction introduction videos and "what if?" units/buildings. I can't see those things being fixed in future patches.

The combat between units is a lot better though, watching folks in melee has never looked better. The AI does still fuck up on occasion - I've essentially decimated an opponent who kept getting cold feet about charging me by just pelting them with javelins for half a battle.

Pretty much the worst release of a Total War game ever but it's shaping up to be what they advertised at the start. It's been playable since patch 3 and we're now on patch 5 and it's being patched every week.

I didn't like Shogun too much because every faction was too similar to the last. This at least has a great variety of units... Rome is hideously overpowered in every era though - but that's what modding is for. Now Hastati are just fodder+ like they were supposed to be in my games.

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
Excellent, my favorite faction from the first Rome. Too bad it always got clusterfucked there. But still, once they got rolling there were few to stop my Silver Shield Triangle of Death tactic.

I've been playing Rome II a bit since release, put about 15 hours into it now. I haven't really had too many problems with it in terms of bugs, but it still isn't yet what I want from the game. I'll wait for a few more patches.

ChaplainOrion

Nov 7, 2011
I've been loving Rome 2 since the release, but I guess it's just cause I'm a god awful strategist and enjoy creating empires.

GabeZhul

Mar 8, 2012
I guess most of you guys are aware of this, but there was at least one great thing that came out of Rome 2 on release: they paid Extra Credits to give a rundown on the Punic wars, and it was glorious.

It is funny, informative and, most commendable of all, about 95% accurate. You should check it out if you haven't, but be warned, it might make you want to play Rome afterwards. :p

On topic: Honestly, it will be at least a few more years before Rome II would be able to even get up to the knees of a modded Rome I, but that might be just my bias speaking.

Epic_Bubble

Oct 19, 2013
Been playing since the last Patch dropped a few days ago. Its a lot better than it was at release. Thankfully there is now mod support which include some much needed things, such as generals aging slower and more in depth talent tree. There still a few annoying things like managing the family to avoid civil war but I cant figure out how it works. Besides my armies are strong enough to crush any pathetic rebel scum that attempts a resistance.

Kikosemmek

Nov 14, 2007
Yeah... too late. Already uninstalled.

There is a popular mod that unlocks all factions that has been in circulation for a few weeks now. Patch didn't add that much for me. To be honest, the problems of R2TW won't be fixed with patches. The game itself is lifeless, and I am overtaken by a creeping conviction that CA themselves don't play or don't particularly enjoy their own games at this point.

I think that will be it for CA and I as well. It's been a hell of a run ever since Rome 1. I just think they've entirely lost their direction with this series. I just want to end it before my good memories get ruined.

ron1n

Jan 28, 2013
I was actually super hyped when I found out SEGA had bought the rights to Warhammer Fantasy and CA were working on an unannounced Warhammer game (Totalwar Warhammer one would assume).

But since they managed to bollox up Rome 2 so spectacularly, even going as far as to leave in the game breaking desync issues in co-op campagins that have been present since Napolean... I'm actually kind of wishing they just don't make Total Warhammer now, given how complex it is, I cannot imagine anything but bugs and failure would result.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
I must admit that the game runs a LOT better for me with all the patches.

The only problem I'm facing now is..........the game is boring. Looking at my past experiences with previous TW games, this one has grabbed y interest the least. Looking at over 300 hours on past games (each), compared with just 10 on this one. I just don't feel the desire to play it :(

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
Clive Howlitzer said:
WALL OF TEXT WARNING!!! ROME 2 RANT LEVELS AT 11!!!

Make that 18 patches + a free expansion pack or 3 + a public execution of the idiots in charge of this game. I demand seppuku for this SHAMEFUR DISPRAY!!!

The amount of stuff half finished or just flat out broken in this game is staggering. If you named a single element of this game I could talk for hours about exactly how horribly broken it is up into the minute details of stat changes during combat!

The entire political and family system? Rubbish. After the civil war it just gets switched off for no reason. Apparently up to about 100-150 turns into the game it matters who you raise and promote but after that who the fuck cares?! Gravitas is utterly broken, character traits make no sense because they either raise gravitas to a ridiculous level and still do nothing or basically guarantee your gravitas will always be 0 because your noble, brave, brilliant general is apparently untrustworthy for some reason. What do all these things mean? Authority? Cunning? Why did you change the general leveling from Shogun 2? Were you afraid it was too enjoyable and transparent? I don't have any clue what I am upgrading nor do I care because who are these people? How are these people related to my family at all? I have no clue they just seem to pop into existence at age 16 whenever I raise an army. The agents, why do we even have 3 agents? They are all 100% interchangeable except the dignitaries ability to spread culture, which is negated by temples that spread culture and general skills that spread culture. Why do we have 3 agents that can assassinate, interfere with armies and spread unrest? Why this utter interchangeability between the 3? What happened to the very specific types of agents from the previous games?

The economy is a joke with basically the same 3-4 buildings built in every village and the same 6-7 in every major city over and over and over again will net you so much money that by turn 50 you don't have anything to spend it on. The idiot that thought provinces would be a good idea and then limit the amount of edicts you could use should be fired along with the moron in charge of the AI. What motivates me to capture an entire province if the maximum amount of edicts I can issue is already decided? What motivates me to conquer nations if I am already swimming in more cash than I can spend? Literally I have 1 million gold in the fucking bank and am making 100k a year! Why is this economy so fucking broken! Why would I ever want to conquer new territories if all the stats are maxed out and I literally cannot raise more armies or more ships? Why does the economy even fucking exist if the limiting factor to my power is an arbitrary number decided by the devs rather than my economy? There is no point to building an economy any more, you can't raise more units based on a strong economy and you can't spend it on anything because you build the same buildings every time that give you massive amount of money and the building progression is locked to your technological advances so you are set on a timer so nothing you do in the game really matters because believe it or not your progression in Rome 2, a total war game, is 100% linear.

Whilst we are on the subject of technology and linearity. Why is half the technology tree nothing but boosts? -3% army upkeep, -2% reload time, +5% charge speed, we don't need units that run even faster than these marathon sprinters, fuck when the game was released spearmen ran almost as fast as cavalry. Why is the tech tree SOOOOOOOOOOOOO boring! What happened to unlocking formations? News methods of making things? Special buildings or new units? Why is half of it basically copy pasted boosts for different areas of the game? Who gives a shit about unlocking a barely noticeable 2% boost to farming income when in the past you could unlock canons!

Unit formations still blob up into incoherent messes of units rushing past each other. The AI still tries to run through your units sustaining massive loses when in a siege battle. Pikemen are HILARIOUS to watch because they won't attack and continue to move up if the enemy moves. No they will walk up to an enemy and stop just short of actually hitting them. So you have to manually manoeuvre these guys constantly. The funniest part is where you attack them in the back and they just do an easy 360 degree shuffle with 6 meter long spears and break your cavalry in half. Not to mention the HILARIOUS imbalance with units! A bunch of thorax swordsmen can just hack their way through 6 elephants. No problem for them! Up until like patch 4 you could basically rout any spear unit with a basic cavalry unit, even in frontal charges, that's how horrible unit cohesion was and still is, at least cavalry get properly slaughtered now if they decide to run head first into pikemen though they can still run through it if the blob is large enough. Rome 2 Total War: The Blobbening

Naval battles! Oh don't get me started! You basically auto-win every naval battle as a Hellenistic faction because of your artillery ships that you can recruit at about turn 5. Nobody stands a chance against you, just pelt them from afar because the AI is too stupid to build them and no ship can reach you in the 3-4 hits it takes to bring them down. Ships just sink to the bottom after wards even if you have boarded them for no reason. Goodbye very expensive ram head! It's not like you literally cost more than the ship itself to make, who'd want to get prize money for captured vessels?! Not to mention that the entire battle is nothing but a game of bumper boats, where the enemy tries to ram you over and over again rather than deploy archers to set boats on fire, board your ships and such and you have to ram them over and over again because otherwise you lose entire ships. No just ram into a ship, back off for a bit then ram into it again. Momentum what's that? However the most hilariously awful mistake is the instant land-sea transformation. Your land armies which have larger numbers than the naval units so they can just walk onto the water and attack the same turn with numerical superiority. Basically meaning that whenever you face a large invasion force with your pussy navy you are dead, that is if the AI was not a complete retard and sent out 4 ships at a time to take down your artillery ships. The only time you will lose is if they outnumber you 18-1 (happened to me once navy of 200 vs 4000 land soldiers) and your artillery ships just run out of ammo. FUCK ME! I thought the naval battles in Shogun 2 FOTS were as bad as it got where it was basically a set your enemy on fire competition, where the side with armour piercing shells basically won the match, but I underestimated CA's sheer ability to suck!

No, Rome 2 is Empire's spiritual successor and for many the straw that broke the camel rider's back. It is a broken unfinished mess even after 4 patches and will require an entire revamp just to be adequate. Battles still barely last more than 5 minutes, 90% of them are siege battles where you barely lose 10 men unless you are a complete idiot and a fucking joke even on Legendary where enemy units route within seconds of engagement or yours just randomly start running when they haven't even taken a single bit of damage because you didn't press the right MOBA abilities at the right time. This is the worst game in the series and doesn't even make up for it like Empire did with interesting elements, new features or an interesting period.

We have seen Rome already and done better. The worst offence here is that Rome 2 doesn't even offer Rome 1's mod-ability so we can forget about total conversion mods for Rome 2 that are in the same ball park as the now legendary ones like Roma Surrectum, Europa Barbarorum, SPQR or even Arthurian Total War.

I liked the persistent legion idea though. That's what? 1 point out of 10 for you Rome 2?

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
grimner said:
I am still enjoying the first total war, thanks to Europa Barbarorum, and it doesn't seem like I'll want to change anytime soon. But, I am frankly surprised to hear that the Seleucids were not included from the beginning. Even in Vanilla RTW, they were one of the, if not THE faction to play, since historically they embraced everything from eastern steppe cavalry and elephant warfare to the Phanlanx and Hoplite infantries.
If i recall they were in the game, just not playable. See this game has (i think) just over a hundred factions.... you can only play as a handful though, 8 on launch, 2 free ones via updates or you can pay for 3 greek factions. This is absurd to me as these factions are in the game, they all have units and tech but you can play as them because CA would like to charge you for them later.