Titanfall Producer: It Must Be Perfect To Fight Industry Stagnation

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Titanfall Producer: It Must Be Perfect To Fight Industry Stagnation

Titanfall's producer hopes the game will be the next big thing gamers have been waiting for.

Titanfall Producer Drew McCoy thinks that Titanfall can possibly be the next "big thing" that will completely shake up the game industry, and he is beginning to feel the pressure. "We think about it all the time," he told MMGN [http://mmgn.com/xboxone/articles--titanfall-interview-this-game-has-to-be-perfe], "It's like, oh man, we can't screw this up. Especially when we came out of E3 with that sort of great response. We came out of there really excited, but also realizing, 'Oh man, we can't drop the ball on this'. This has to be perfect."

"I think the last few years, games have stagnated a lot," he continued. "People are holding back their new, big ideas. Gamers feel that. They know that. They're waiting. All they want is that next awesome thing to grab on to. What better time than now?" McCoy believes that Titanfall can fill this role, and from what I've seen (and played) of the game so far, I believe him.

In the full interview, McCoy also talked about the "story-driven" multiplayer of the game, admitting that "We don't want the thing where it's the tenth time you've played a piece of the story, because you've played every night for a month." He says that players will be able to opt-in with their friends to a Team Deathmatch mode with no story elements at all.

McCoy also tries his best to explain the mythical "Cloud" that Microsoft keeps telling us will make gaming better. "basically what it boils down is, Microsoft has data centers all of the world, with tonnes of servers in them, just sitting in a giant pool of resources that we can say, 'Hey, you're in Germany and you want to play? Here's a German server for you'. It dynamically allocates German servers for you based on where you're playing from." He says it will ultimately make the whole experience better.

Source: MMGN [http://mmgn.com/xboxone/articles--titanfall-interview-this-game-has-to-be-perfe]

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
Well one thing they should do is make it more obvious that it is on the PC as well.

I constantly come across people who genuinely believe it to be an Xbox One exclusive due to Microsoft constantly talking about it as a launch title. If they want it to be the next big thing they should be trying to maximise their audience and create awareness for all platforms.

I can't really see how it can be the next big thing, unless they basically mean it is meant to be a COD killer. It's probably not going to change that many minds of those who are not already into competitive shooting games after all.

Personally I think it looks pretty cool as well, but I would need to get a new PC to run it or maybe a Steam Box or Piston if they turn out to be any good.

Cecilo

Nov 18, 2011
And so the Hype Train keeps chugging along. I seriously doubt they are going to be able to live up to all the hype they are putting out.

Grabehn

Sep 22, 2012
Ok... Second time I read an article about this game, and second time I just read a bunch of crap "The next big THING" "games have stagnated". What's with saying the exact same thing over and over?

Make sure you're creating a good product instead of trying to push a "this is SOOOOO DIFFERENT!" I doubt that it is, and seriously doubt that they'll manage to fulfill the hype they're trying to build, because it's pretty much a given that they're going to come up with another "THIS IS CHANGE" comment in a month or even less maybe.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
How can it be something that shakes up the industry when it looks so damn similar to all the other bloody popular first person shooters!? It it has no style of it's own or anything that looks unique. The only thing I can agree with is the industry stagnation he brought up.

What would really shake up the industry is something amazing that isn't trying to be as realistic as possible. That's what we really need to break this shitty trend.

Nazulu

Jun 5, 2008
Retrograde said:
Whopee, another Titanfall thread where people that have actually played Titanfall are taken in by it and praise it as the next big thing it's genuinely placed to be, and the forum goers that haven't can't get off their chest quick enough how it's a cod-clone, it looks boring, grey-brown etc etc. I honestly don't know how different Escapist is in this regard, but it routinely fits bills, so forgive me if the mark is off on this one.

I've played it and am very grateful it's going to be on the 360 so I can turn the thing on again and give my PS3 a break.

It's an incredible game and it most definitely has the potential to be the next big thing. Once you play it a game of cod feels pedestrian, slow, boring. I mean, even more than usual.

And, as someone who isn't even particularly good at those games, you can still have a good time by focussing mainly on running around like a look and wiping out the AI. It's a blast, it really is.

The things it needs to overcome back is the hubris in the hardcore community(because liking an FPS and/or being excited for something The Collective deems unworthy is not allowed) and the paradigm that only COD is good enough to actually get bought.

Nazulu said:
How can it be something that shakes up the industry when it looks so damn similar to all the other bloody popular first person shooters!? It it has no style of it's own or anything that looks unique. The only thing I can agree with is the industry stagnation he brought up.

What would really shake up the industry is something amazing that isn't trying to be as realistic as possible. That's what we really need to break this shitty trend.
Where did you play it?
Whoopee, another optimistic defender that thinks I give a damn.

I don't need to play it. I have eyes and lots and lots of experience.

saltyanon

Sep 18, 2013
What's this game's gimmick again? Mechs? Basically, tanks with legs. Didn't Blacklight already do that? Albeit not as tall. Why do gaming companies keep claiming "gaming innovation" when they really haven't?

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
I have two ideas;

1- Put in a single player storyline. Pure multiplayer games don't last.

2- Dedicated servers are nice and all, but just remember that it isn't dedicated if countries like Australia are stuck on Korean servers.

MrHide-Patten

Jun 10, 2009
Now this is probably just me but every article about Titafall I can summarize as; wank, wank, wank. Wank, wank. Wank, Titfall, wank. Xbox wank. Wank.

You're probably not going to be the next Halo, or maybe all that wanking is entirely justified.

*Wank is Australian slang for masturbation.

shirkbot

Apr 15, 2013
Retrograde said:
Nazulu said:

At least you're honest enough to admit it, that much I can respect.

What I cannot respect is a pot which displays two varieties of what must, truly, be described as ignorance. Firstly, optimism is rooted in hope and potential, I've actually played the thing repeatedly, it's brilliant. Everyone, *EVERYONE*, who has played it was also very impressed by it, at least on the sites I've seen. And I'm quite obviously not optimistic about it's success, I'm skeptical for the very reasons I gave in my own post.

Secondly, how can you proudly denegrate and criticise a game you've not played? I'm not even talking about something like you saying it doesn't look like it's your thing, you can sort of know that on first visual impression alone, but you go into specifics about how it isn't unique(incorrect), lacks any kind of style(incorrect) and is realistic(incorrect).

How is a game where you can wall-run and jet pack across entire maps without your feet touching the floor, and engage people the whole wayn to then summon a customised mech from the sky and then have it be your guard dog(also you can jump about 20 feet and there is no fall damage from any height); common, boring, unstylised, or realistic?
To be entirely fair, "Everyone that's played it" is a ridiculously small number compared to the available market. Said market is also probably just tired of the hype, and I can't blame them. How many times have we heard something will be "the next big thing" only to be disappointed or outright misled? Gamers, collectively, are extremely cynical when it comes to advertising, and that's all this amounts to. They're telling us what to think, they're not even subtly trying to sway us and a lot of people resent that kind of approach. Just let the game speak for itself when it comes out.

Nazulu

Jun 5, 2008
Retrograde said:
Nazulu said:

At least you're honest enough to admit it, that much I can respect.

What I cannot respect is a pot which displays two varieties of what must, truly, be described as ignorance. Firstly, optimism is rooted in hope and potential, I've actually played the thing repeatedly, it's brilliant. Everyone, *EVERYONE*, who has played it was also very impressed by it, at least on the sites I've seen. And I'm quite obviously not optimistic about it's success, I'm skeptical for the very reasons I gave in my own post.

Secondly, how can you proudly denegrate and criticise a game you've not played? I'm not even talking about something like you saying it doesn't look like it's your thing, you can sort of know that on first visual impression alone, but you go into specifics about how it isn't unique(incorrect), lacks any kind of style(incorrect) and is realistic(incorrect).

How is a game where you can wall-run and jet pack across entire maps without your feet touching the floor, and engage people the whole wayn to then summon a customised mech from the sky and then have it be your guard dog(also you can jump about 20 feet and there is no fall damage from any height); common, boring, unstylised, or realistic?
I don't care what you respect or what people think is excellent. I don't just buy into "it's great or (incorrect) or it's not the same as COD". You haven't convinced me of anything.

I can criticise because like I said, I have experience from following the industry for a good while now to know exactly what I would get. It's a pattern a lot of people start to notice after time and I'm usually very accurate (I will admit I have been wrong but that's only games hyped in the past). I've played games that let you wall run and could fly almost everywhere, summon giant things to help you whenever, jump really high, transform into many different things, allow me to play with 250 other people, customize the game completely, felt realistic because the control was the actual item or blow wind in my face likes it's 4D, allow me to have friends enter at any time, and la di da di da etc. etc. And you know what I've found? These things really aren't that special unless the game is designed in a way to make them feel special. Sure jet packs may seem like they can improve everything, but a lot of the time I find games don't implement it well and so it can loose it's impact really quickly and even take the challenge out of the game.

There is certain things I look out for. It's really hard to explain, but then what isn't when it comes to art.

Yuuki

Mar 19, 2013
saltyanon said:
What's this game's gimmick again? Mechs? Basically, tanks with legs. Didn't Blacklight already do that? Albeit not as tall. Why do gaming companies keep claiming "gaming innovation" when they really haven't?
Mechs are the gimmick? I thought the gimmick was the jetpack movement + double jumping + wall running...omg, MULTIPLE gimmicks! What if all those gimmicks came together to create a new experience?

ryo02

Oct 8, 2007
translation "innovation = mechs" I approve however it has to have a single player campaign of decent length and come out on ps4 or wiiu for me to buy it

Drummodino

Can't Stop the Bop
Jan 2, 2011
harrisonmcgiggins said:
I see brown and grey.
I hear its a shooter
I hear its multiplayer only.

I shrug, sigh,, and turn away
^This is my reaction to Titanfall so far.

I may pick it up if I can get it for cheap on PC and if it is really as good as the hype machine is trying to sell. No other game on the Xbox One (excluding those that I can get on PC or PS4) even remotely interests me so I'm still not buying your console Microsoft.

Boy I bet they wished they could have kept this an Xbox One exclusive.

Nazulu

Jun 5, 2008
Retrograde said:
shirkbot said:
To be entirely fair, "Everyone that's played it" is a ridiculously small number compared to the available market. Said market is also probably just tired of the hype, and I can't blame them. How many times have we heard something will be "the next big thing" only to be disappointed or outright misled? Gamers, collectively, are extremely cynical when it comes to advertising, and that's all this amounts to. They're telling us what to think, they're not even subtly trying to sway us and a lot of people resent that kind of approach. Just let the game speak for itself when it comes out.
Respectfully sir, your opening argument is fruitless. We're not talking about hundreds of people, we're talking tens of thousands across countries and cultures. That kind of pool matters, comparisons to much larger things are daft. It's a ridiculously small number compared to the hundreds of millions of potential customers, and the number of potential customers is insignificant in itself compared to the amount of years it would take to feasibly colonise other worlds to give our lifeform a chance of surviving in a cosmically relevant sense, so what's the point in ANYTHING?

Also, gamers at large may like to piss on things and call it cynicism, I just personally wish more would just admit they enjoy pissing on things rather than pass that act off as an intellectually sound position to take.

You know what is sound? Listening to the large number of people with positive things to say and taking that into your considerations. Not swaying your own view mind, but these people are clearly raving about something, and you just might like it to, but we shall see. THAT is something approaching honest cynicism.

You know what isn't cynical?

"Yeah, fuck all of what you said, this game is wank wank wank wank wank, and I know that because I've played other games and have lots and lots of experience. Cynicism".

The hype machine is doing what the hype machine does, but the post you responded to wasn't me trying to get a gamer to think a certain way, it was trying to get a gamer to think.
You failed to make us think, and it's because your points are really weak. Popularity doesn't determine quality, yet you keep waving that flag around in all your posts.

Now what you've done is generalised the people you disagree with, like almost every other defender I've encountered. Of course, if you can't do the defense right, then you switch to offense, isn't that right?