Will Xbox One Play Win 8 Apps? Dell Says Yes, Microsoft Not Quite

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Will Xbox One Play Win 8 Apps? Dell Says Yes, Microsoft Not Quite

The suggestion that Xbox One will run all Windows 8 apps is not accurate, says Microsoft.

Hardware manufacturer Dell stepped forward with a bold claim. "Consider the game officially changed," it said. "With all your favorite Windows 8 apps able to be run on and synced to your Xbox One, now your phone, desktop, tablet and TV can all give you a unified web and entertainment experience." At time of writing the claim is still there on Dell's storefront [http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/sna.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&~topic=xbox-one&dgc=BA&cid=266740&lid=4859195&acd=12309183969294298], but maybe it won't be much longer. Or maybe it will, for once again it's mixed messages from the folks at Microsoft.

"The suggestion that all Windows 8 apps run on Xbox One is not accurate," Microsoft told Eurogamer. OK, but that Dell quote doesn't look much like a suggestion; more like a statement of fact. Besides, Microsoft's rebuttal leaves open the possibility that some Windows 8 apps will run on Xbox One. It's not as if this topic hasn't come up before. "If you want to know about how to get a head start about thinking about developing for Xbox One, the logical thing to do is go build Windows 8 applications," said Microsoft's Steve Guggenheimer back in June [http://www.theverge.com/2013/6/27/4470658/xbox-one-windows-8-apps-build-2013], to developers thinking of working on Xbox One.

So which is it? Probably some Windows 8 apps will work on Xbox One, but as for which, who knows? Maybe Dell does, and maybe it doesn't. Microsoft's message is still unclear.

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-07-01-microsoft-suggests-windows-8-apps-may-come-to-xbox-one]

lancar

Aug 11, 2009
They're certainly pushing Windows 8 hard right now. It seems to me like microsoft is taking every opportunity it can to try and make their OS seem more palatable than it actually is, all the while promising nothing at all. It's also like the PR department is pretending Windows 7 doesn't even exist anymore.

That said, it's kinda understandable. Their newest OS didn't exactly receive a warm reception (imho for good reason), and the whole Xbone PR debacle didn't do them any favors either.

But as for the compatibility with Xbox... why would you even want to run windows software (I still refuse to call them apps) on it?

Hagi

Apr 10, 2011
As far as has been advertised the XBox One will run a modified Windows 8 Kernel ( alongside the XBox OS and a third OS to switch between ) and consequently will run modified Windows 8 Apps.

Keyword being modified.

So technically speaking they're both kinda correct, albeit misleading. Popular apps are likely to be favorites and to receive minor patches needed to make them run on XBox One as well as sync with all other device. But not all apps would receive the modifications needed to make them run on XBox One so Microsoft is stepping in here to prevent another PR disaster because they really, really, really can't afford any more of these vague promises that will turn out differently than expected.

Overall it'd probably depend a lot on just how modified the included kernel is, no real clue there.

A much more interesting question however is whether or not the XBox One will run apps you just created yourself without needing expensive developer licenses, certifications or who knows what else. But I seriously doubt that, would've been the first cool thing I'd heard about this machine though in the extremely improbable scenario it was a possibility.

Arkley

Mar 12, 2009
Microsoft is failing to be clear and informative about facts relating to the Xbox One? Consumers and the gaming media are receiving mixed messages and don't quite know what's going on? What a unusual change of pace.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Arkley said:
Microsoft is failing to be clear and informative about facts relating to the Xbox One? Consumers and the gaming media are receiving mixed messages and don't quite know what's going on? What a unusual change of pace.
To be fair to MS, it could be someone at Dell at fault here.

[small]Oh gods I just defended Microsoft, I need a shower.[/small]

Midniqht

Beer Quaffer
Jul 10, 2009
neppakyo said:
The main question here is, who gives a shit? It's Windows 8 crap.
While you're certainly entitled to your opinion, it's just that. Some people *do* give a shit. Some people actually *do* like the prospect of having a more unified OS across multiple devices. Stepping in to comment just to troll and essentially say "windows 8 crap lol" is certainly not constructive, nor does it contribute to any sort of reasonable discussion. Windows 8 isn't perfect (hell, what OS is?) but it certainly has its advantages, especially if MS's goal is to tie everything together at some point.

Digressing...
I'm willing to bet it was Dell's slip-up this time, but both statements may be "right" to some degree. Microsoft's plan may very well be to have Dell's statement be an eventuality, but they're probably just not at that point yet. I can see it being possible in the future, but starting out with a limited sub-set of apps just to test the water and the possibilities. Dunno. Xbox One isn't even out yet to try the apps that would even be there.

Kahani

May 25, 2011
A PC made by Microsoft will run many programs made for Microsoft's main OS but will have compatibility issues with some? Words cannot begin to express how shocked I am by this incredible revelation.

Arawn

Dec 18, 2003
I would think they'd want to have some connection between their 8 and Xbox One. Sure 8 wasn't well recieved, but for those that do enjoy the system it would be nice to have. It would really tie together MS's slogan of being an "all in one" unit. But if not alot of people have 8 it's not good selling point. Still if it makes programing for it easier, more power to them.