Battlefield 4 Official Story Trailer Socks a Dog in the Chops

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Battlefield 4 Official Story Trailer Socks a Dog in the Chops

The Battlefield 4 "Official Single Player Story Trailer" features a large man punching a dog in the mouth. Seriously.

Here's everything you need to know about the Battlefield 4 single-player campaign as summarized by this story trailer: Explosions, yelling, treachery, women in uniform, no man left behind, majestic slo-mo, "We will not go down without a fight," and then POW! Right in the doggie kisser!

I have to admit that when I first watched this video I confused it with Call of Duty: Ghosts and wondered why that man was beating up poor Riley, but my fellow newsies reminded me that Battlefield and Call of Duty are actually separate games, and that what's really going on here is that Riley is a bad dog! Bad dog! Ka-POW!

Battlefield 4 comes out on October 29 for the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and PC, November 15 for the PlayStation 4 and November 22 for the Xbox One.

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
Really? Really though?

I though after how the general public reaction to EA's dick-waving the last time a Battlefield release coincided with a CoD release was an almost collective facepalm they might have learned some humility.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
Wait, didn't they say the game wouldn't have female soldiers because reasons? And yet...there is a female soldier. Right there in the trailer.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
I saw the analogy today that Battlefield are like the Dave Mustaine of gaming at the moment. Based on the end of that trailer, that comparison might not be entirely inaccurate.

james.sponge

Mar 4, 2013
This one guy is so patriotic he has three or even four flags on his uniform.

Also NO ONE GETS LEFT BEHIND!

Seriously though this game will be 18+ so theoretically its designated audience are mature people. I think most of them are pretty much fed up with this whole soldier ideal and pseudo patriotic bullshit pushed with every modern military shooter game. We just want to shoot stuff, if you really want to include SP campaign fine but make it about alien invasion or something.

CriticalMiss said:
Wait, didn't they say the game wouldn't have female soldiers because reasons? And yet...there is a female soldier. Right there in the trailer.
I guessing publicity and simple laziness. There is nothing preventing them from making a couple of head models and just slapping them on that body model from the campaign. Hell they could use the same actress for all the voice acting, I mean how much more money would they have to pay her for a two or three hundred dialogue lines like: objective alpha is secured, engaging the enemy etc.

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
CriticalMiss said:
Yeah, but that's campaign mode, and transferring that model or voice actor work to the multiplayer would be an impossible hurdle of codework and rebalancing for... reasons and... cultural relevancy and... stuff.

I await their next trailer where it's just the main protagonists swearing profusely at the top of their lungs in a fish and chip shop while eating cod.

Subtlety is dead. Long live marketing

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Ah the trailer for the bit nobody cares about.

It seems a shame that they aren't going to continue the story of Black and Dima, not that anyone will be able to tell the difference. In other news, who's picked BF2 back up lately? My goodness the maps are big.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Andy Shandy said:
I saw the analogy today that Battlefield are like the Dave Mustaine of gaming at the moment. Based on the end of that trailer, that comparison might not be entirely inaccurate.
Well, to be honest Mustaine was apparently too much of an asshole to be in Metallica... And the guys in Metallica are a collection of assholes. I wonder if the analogy is about that or that there's a huge division in the crowd that likes either Metallica or Megadeth... because really either works. Both Activision and EA are corporate assholes trying to convince the rest of the world that one is less than the other... but then thats like holding two handfuls of shit; one may smell less like shit than the other but its still two handfuls of shit.

Single Shot

Jan 13, 2013
So, does anyone else remember that game with the fairly realistic story, good teamwork with incentives, a variety of maps and weapons where none were too overpowered, and a series of worth wile DLC expansions that added new features, new maps, new factions, and new objectives.... I think they called it Battlefield 2, or was it 1942.

TheSapphireKnight

I hate Dire Wolves...
Dec 4, 2008
It looks amazing in terms of graphics and sound, but oh man to it look terrible in terms of everything else. I love BF but ugh, it looks like Ace Combat but taking itself way waaaaay too seriously.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Andy Shandy said:
As someone who knows only that Mustaine is connected to Metallica and Megadeth, you'll have to explain that one to me.

MysticSlayer

Apr 14, 2013
fix-the-spade said:
It seems a shame that they aren't going to continue the story of Black and Dima, not that anyone will be able to tell the difference. In other news, who's picked BF2 back up lately? My goodness the maps are big.
I'm sorry, but DICE said that Bad Company 2 and Battlefield 3 were much better and much deeper experiences, and you know DICE can never be wrong because the fans are always objectively wrong about everything...Man, DICE's attitude is so bad I can't even laugh at my own sarcastic portrayal of it.

OT: Not surprising. Battlefield is the game that wants to beat Call of Duty so bad it can't exist without mimicking it at every turn and trying to viciously paint itself as the better product because, you know, it's a sin to enjoy both of them...Nope, sarcasm still not working.

Ishigami

Sep 1, 2011
DVS BSTrD said:
So am I really gunna be the first one to point out that the black guy is throwing an apple to a pigmy woman at 1:25. Seriously she was like one forth his size!
Perspective! How the fuck does it work?

Other than that I guess the US grunts still do their "no1 gets left behind" BS...

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Battlefield has Singleplayer? You mean bot matches right? No? Waste of resources then. The return of the Commander should ensure the maps have some tactical advantages this time. Punching dogs is a step up from stabbing rats I gusss.

Vanbael

Arctic fox and BACON lover
Jun 13, 2009
I like the whole "You're a dog? Well fuck that! I'm a mutha fuckin soldier!" Hehe, thinking dogs can sell a game.
Aside from that, I want to see more open maps other than an aircraft carrier to be convinced of the Single Player mode. Please bring back Bad Company!