Final Fantasy VII Victory Fanfare Receives Epic Acapella Edition

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Final Fantasy VII Victory Fanfare Receives Epic Acapella Edition

YouTube musician Smooth McGroove has produced a new vocal rendition of Final Fantasy VII's Victory Fanfare.

Unless they're in the form of <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/126823-Final-Fantasy-VII-Characters-Turned-Into-Adorable-3D-Sculptures>nifty little 3D sculptures, the graphics in Final Fantasy VII have aged kind of poorly. That being the case, the game's music is still rocking, featuring one of my favorite franchise battle themes as well as one of the best renditions of the Final Fantasy Victory Fanfare that there is. There isn't really a bad version, mind you, but I've always just found the VII iteration to be particularly peppy in a way the others aren't.

That in mind, YouTube poster and one man acapella group Smooth McGroove has recently released a new vocal rendition of VII's Victory Fanfare that you'd do well to take a peek at. Seriously, even if you're not a hardcore Final Fantasy fan, his version is a pure delight. Moreover, if you're new to Smooth McGroove's work, it serves as convenient excuse to check out <a href=http://www.youtube.com/user/SmoothMcGroove?feature=watch>the rest of his videogame covers which include renditions of the aforementioned <a href=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfrsvfcZ8ZE>Final Fantasy VII Battle Theme as well as Castlevania's iconic <a href=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ih20Tx-fNJs>Vampire Killer, among others. If nothing else you should watch this just to lend your support to a man with the courage to sport such an epic beard.

Source: <a href=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPBRbIvs5lc>YouTube

Dec 14, 2009
He releases this stuff every week, not sure why this one is special enough for a news article.

Either way, it's totes amazeballs.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:
He releases this stuff every week, not sure why this one is special enough for a news article.

His Ducktales Moon Theme, Wily Stage 1, Chemical Plant Zone, and Ice Cap Zone always give me goosebumps because of how awesome they are. :D

OT: Well good to see Smooth McGroove getting more news stuff, although I agree with Daystar in wondering if this needs a news story persay.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
I was waiting to see when one of Smooth's videos would pop up on here (at least as a news article, we've been posting them in usergroups for a while now). The man's fantastic :D

My personal favourites are whenever he sings a tune from the Sonic series.

[HEADING=1]SO GOOD![/HEADING]

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
I wore my Smooth McGroove shirt at the Expo, but few people noticed :(

You guys should invite him to the next Expo! :D

Arawn

Dec 18, 2003
I've said it to my friends, and I'll say it here; this guy is good. I've seen afew others, but he's the best so far. Makes me want to play some Final Fantasy VII, if not for the huge time restraints.

cynicalsaint1

Salvation a la Mode
Apr 1, 2010
Neronium said:
Daystar Clarion said:

His Ducktales Moon Theme, Wily Stage 1, Chemical Plant Zone, and Ice Cap Zone always give me goosebumps because of how awesome they are. :D

OT: Well good to see Smooth McGroove getting more news stuff, although I agree with Daystar in wondering if this needs a news story persay.
Maybe they just thought it was cool and thought it was a good excuse to share his stuff to those who haven't heard of him before?

I'm wondering why anyone would ***** about him getting a bit of extra exposure here ...

Ipsen

Jul 8, 2008
Daystar Clarion said:

I dunno, I'm getting used to these late/non-gaming articles coming from the news staff. It's a nice little change from Microsoft screwing up PR today.

I do find this rendition particularly special. He gets the drums quite right.

Mistilteinn

Jul 14, 2012
I just discovered his channel today by looking up an acapella version of a song for another game, so the timing of this article is pretty eerie to me. I didn't find the version I was looking, but I'm sure as hell glad I found his, haha!

Roofstone

May 13, 2010
Ahh, Smooth Mcgrove. I highly encourage people to watch his death waltz tune. It is great.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Smooth McGroove is a golden God of vidja game music. Even the songs I don't know, I find are still worth a watch/listen. I enjoy looking for his cat in the videos, too.

Anyway, everyone should go check out his epic beard, cat, and nice catalog of classic video game music.

And if you like, I'm pretty sure you can download them off iTunes.

Alfador_VII

Nov 2, 2009
Not sure why you're reporting this now, but he is absolutely awesome.

I've been subbed to his channel for ages, and have listened to everything he's done many times. I do also love FF VII, so this was an especially good one to pick to report.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
I want to see a game with him doing all the music acapella. That would be fun.

nodlimax

Feb 8, 2012
It's good no question and impressive that he does it on his own.

There are other acapella bands as well. Ever heard of "Can Canto"? They do acapella versions of Metal songs. They only of one instrument (drums). The rest they do with the voices. See "Master of Puppets":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSpuVsLnl1k

antidonkey

Dec 10, 2009
I can listen to his sonic songs constantly. Dude is pretty damned talented. I find it strangely enjoyable to pick out which square of video is which instrument. I'm odd like that.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Daystar Clarion said:
Pretty much this. I mean I love this guy's work as much as anyone and think it really is pretty amazing how he does it...but as far as his tracklist is concerned, this one isn't particularly special.