The PlayStation 4 Will Allow Real-Name User IDs at Launch

Josh Engen

Aug 19, 2013
The PlayStation 4 Will Allow Real-Name User IDs at Launch

Sony's real-name identification system will be ready on November 15th.

Last week, Microsoft announced [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/128770-Xbox-One-Wont-Allow-Real-Name-Gamertags-at-Launch] that it was planning to postpone the release of its real-name Gamertag system-a feature that the company has been teasing since the Xbox One announcement in May. Microsoft didn't cancel development, but if you were looking forward to the feature, you'll have to be patient. PlayStation 4 owners, on the other hand, should be able to use their real names when the PS4 hits the market on November 15th.

If you've suddenly become concerned about identity theft, or are worried that Sony might be taking away your freedom to anonymously spew racial slurs, don't worry. Players won't be required to use their real names. However, Sony is hoping that the feature will generate a more tightly knit network of gamers. PS4 lead architect Mark Cerny explained the company's thought process last February [http://kotaku.com/5987406/a-small-detail-about-the-playstation-4-could-have-big-implications]:

"[With the] PlayStation 4 we are transitioning to a friends network based on real world friends. We'll keep around the alias and icon used in today's multiplayer matches. These are great to have when anonymity is important. But most of the new social dimension to PS4 will be interacting with friends using real names and profile pictures most likely seeded from your existing social network."

As much as I would love to believe that real-name user IDs will change the way that gamers interact, Xbox LIVE and the PlayStation Network will probably never be safe for anyone with low self esteem.

Source: Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/ps4-will-let-you-use-your-real-name-online-at-launch-1450778220]

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
As long as its optional then I have no issues with it. Especially if it allows you to control who sees the game tag and who sees your name

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
mechalynx said:
Allow or do like Google and nag you until you break?
Pretty much this. I can't tell you how many times Google annoyed me to "Use my real name" despite me wanting to use my YouTube ID since I identify with it in my videos. As long as this is optional and we aren't constantly told to get it then I'm fine, but if Sony pulls a Google on this then I will be very very disappointed.

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012
Well as long as I can still anonymously yell racist and homophobic slurs at people online, then I don't really see the problem.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
Why don't they just implement a 'nickname' system like Steam has where you can give someone on your friends list a nickname, if you know someone in the outside world then you can give them their real name or something else you will recognise them by.

Oh and I guess this needs to be added to the 'things PS4 has that Xbone doesn't' pile.

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
mechalynx said:
Oh wow... they are fucking annoying as hell always suggesting I join Google+

And I don't do social networking so my existing social network information is safe from being imported.

rasputin0009

Feb 12, 2013
Imagine if taking away anonymity helps people become less assholish. I think it will. It's not too often somebody puts racial slurs on Facebook, and when they do, they're usually called out on it.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
My problem with "real name" systems is there are literally only 30ish people in my entire country listed with my last name; 4 of those households are my family members.

When you have such a rare name, why would I ever want (let alone be forced, Blizzard) to provide what is basically identifying information. To me, I may as well just put my fucking address and phone number up for the whole world to see.

NiPah

May 8, 2009
rasputin0009 said:
Imagine if taking away anonymity helps people become less assholish. I think it will. It's not too often somebody puts racial slurs on Facebook, and when they do, they're usually called out on it.
Also helps with tracking down personal information, obtaining their social network information, stalking them in real life, instantly identifying women and foreigners, and using their real names in your personal attacks (instead of DN-Gunner2K you can call John Johnson a f'in asshole).

But yeah maybe people will be less assholish.

Icehearted

Jul 14, 2009
rasputin0009 said:
Or eventually they will care less and less as they realize:
A) No real consequences.
B) Any consequences that do exist are minimal and fleeting.

This looks to me like an invitation for predatory behavior. Hell, even without this information upfront people have been tracked murdered over online fights.

Edit: missing word

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
So Sony wants you to spread your own personal information... so they don't have to! Bah-dum, tss.

Kidding aside, is anyone really wanting this? Not to put too fine a point on it, but more people know me as ZZoMBiE13 than by my real name. I've been using the moniker for nearly 20 years now, and all of my online profiles and gamertags use that name. If I switched over, most of my friends would have no idea who I was unless they recognized the avatar.

AbsoluteVirtue18

Jan 14, 2009
But I swear my first name is Absolute! It's Russian! My parents were weird like that!

I never use my real name when it's asked of me, barring Facebook, so if it's optional I think I'll avoid it. even if it's not I'll just lie and say my name's Tony Redgrave or something.

Arawn

Dec 18, 2003
Can't say I like or dislike the idea. But it's doubtful that people will be more mature when their name is on the line. Even without the shield of anonymity is gone, people will still be jerks. And I'm sure people will be use such information to enhance their troll/harassment skills.

Midniqht

Beer Quaffer
Jul 10, 2009
Ok that's great, but neither PS4 nor Xbox One have given me a reason to use my real name on their consoles, either in-game or socially.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
mechalynx said:
I was happy till you mentioned that.

With so many annoying business trends these days, I can never ever buy something at launch. I have to research everything now.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Wait, why do we need a feature like this in any of the consoles? The Xbox 360 already allows you to put in your real name (albeit in an unintended space) to show right along with your gamertag if you like.