Magic The Gathering Goes Indie, Drafts Newell In Custom Cube Madness

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Magic The Gathering Goes Indie, Drafts Newell In Custom Cube Madness

"Gabe Newell is indestructible." Yes. Yes he is.

Thanks to the twisted minds of Andy Hull, George Fan, Edmund McMillen, Kyle Pulver, Tommy Refenes, Laura Shigihara and Derek Yu, fans of Magic The Gathering now have something new to obsess over: the Indie Custom Cube. Fancy drafting Gabe Newell and Microsoft in the same deck? Sure, it's doable, but don't be surprised if you hear screams of agony emanating from somewhere in Washington state. Good thing Newell's indestructible.

[gallery=1838]

The cards you see here are just a small sampling of the 360 unique cards available in the Cube. The idea came from many happy evenings playing MtG. The devs joked about how fun it would be to create cards based on their corner of the industry, and after a while the idea took root. Before long there was a Google document to keep track of what everyone was doing and, as everyone knows, once a Google doc has been created, madness follows. The team took care not to create multiples of, say, Jon Blow or Super Meat Boy; the idea was to have fun, not to kill the concept with a multitude of cloned characters.

This thing was playtested at GDC 2013, and it's been tweaked a time or two since then. "Hopefully, you'll enjoy the cube as much as we do!" says the team. Fancy a shot? There's a whole mess of cards just over here [http://www.indiecustomcube.com/IndieCustomCubeSpoiler.html].

Source: Indie Custom Cube [http://www.indiecustomcube.com/index.html]

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
I got a very good laugh out of Phil Fish's Rage. xD

Not so sure about the Microsoft card...doesn't seem like it'd be worth it to play it. But of course, that might be the joke. A 5/5 for 6 mana and cumulative upkeep? Sure it lets you draw cards when it comes out, but it's still too pricey for it's worth if you ask me. Again, that could very well be the joke of the card. :p

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Oh man, I don't even play MTG, and I very much enjoyed looking all of these. :D

Particularly the Phil Fish related ones.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
RJ 17 said:

Not so sure about the Microsoft card...doesn't seem like it'd be worth it to play it. But of course, that might be the joke. A 5/5 for 6 mana and cumulative upkeep? Sure it lets you draw cards when it comes out, but it's still too pricey for it's worth if you ask me. Again, that could very well be the joke of the card. :p
Oh yeah, its a joke.

Overkill much?

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Ed130 said:
RJ 17 said:

Oh yeah, its a joke.

Overkill much?
What's REALLY surprising is that EA is...actually...pretty fucking badass. 5/7 Vigilance for 6, tap it to put a Cubicle Counter on target creature, and creatures with Cubicle Counters can't attack or block.

Kengaskhan

Feb 23, 2012
I hate to be "that guy", because these cards are awesome, but... if these cards were designed with the program I think they were (the Magic Set Editor), then a lot of these cards need artist or illustrator credit.

MrPhyntch

Nov 4, 2009
How does one actually go about drafting something like this? Me and the guys from Gamestop all play Magic together, and I'm certain that we would all love to draft this. Would be rather hilarious.

Eternal_Lament

Sep 23, 2010
Looks pretty interesting, I'll definitely look the set over to see what other madness they've come up with. Although I have to ask, how exactly does a Legendary Instant work? You can only play one per turn? You can only play one on the stack and playing another will fizzle one or the other?

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
Even if it is the greatest thing to grace cards and has totally won awards, surely the Phil Fish card needs to be retired?

Kengaskhan

Feb 23, 2012
RJ 17 said:
Kengaskhan said:
I hate to be "that guy".
If that's true, then why are you being "that guy"?
As a moderator for the Magic Set Editor forums, I kind of have a vested interest in the program not getting a C&D order or the like from anyone. We've got a strict "you must credit the illustrator" policy (among other things) in order to prevent this from happening.

It's not the easiest thing to enforce, since most of the custom card creation actually happens off of the site, but if a MSE project that doesn't properly credit gets enough publicity that I don't have to actively scour the web to find it (like this one), then the least I can do is try to get them to credit the artists.

Storm Dragon

Nov 29, 2011
RatherDull said:
Wow, that backstabbing business partner one looks amazing. I want that in my deck.
I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic, or if you also see some of the clever strategies that could be used by comboing it with certain other cards.

EDIT: Example: Use these cards on it:
http://magiccards.info/query?q=%21Crippling+Blight
http://magiccards.info/query?q=%21Sinister+Possession
http://magiccards.info/query?q=%21Blood+Reckoning

Trotgar

Sep 13, 2009
I don't really play Magic anymore, but I'd love to draft with these. Or just own them for the humour factor.

Storm Dragon said:
RatherDull said:
Wow, that backstabbing business partner one looks amazing. I want that in my deck.
I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic, or if you also see some of the clever strategies that could be used by comboing it with certain other cards.
Well, in a 1v1 game it's going to attack the caster every turn, so the caster will get to draw an additional card each turn for the price of taking 1 damage for it. Of course you're damaging yourself, but those extra cards are often very helpful.

Edit: Those cards you mentioned do make the card quite a lot more useful, though.

saxman234

Nov 23, 2011
This is awesome, although it appears that many of these cards are way overpowered. I guess I have thought that about other real cards, but a number of these seem game breaking. It looks fun to have a match with these cards though.

CharrHearted

Aug 20, 2010
female cat furry? You mean "Anthropomorphic" Since Anthropomorphic is the race. furry = group not a race.

People still haven't understood this yet. XD