Call of Duty: Ghosts On PC Requires 64-Bit OS

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Call of Duty: Ghosts On PC Requires 64-Bit OS

If you want to play Call of Duty: Ghosts on your PC, you better be packing some 64-bit heat.

It's not easy being a member of gaming's master race. The price we pay for elite is complexity; it's not enough to know simply that we have a PC, as though it were some kind of homogenized appliance of limited utility. No, we need specifics! And specifically, this is what you'll need if you want to play Call of Duty: Ghosts with a mouse and keyboard. (Which, let's face it, is really the only way to play.)

Brace yourselves!

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8200 2.66 GHZ / AMD Phenom X3 8750 2.4 GHZ or better
Memory: 6 GB RAM
Hard Disk Space: 40 GB
Video: NVIDIA GeForce GTS 450 / ATI Radeon HD 5870 or better
Sound: DirectX compatible sound card
DirectX: DirectX 11
Internet: Broadband Internet connection for Steam and Online Multiplayer.

Bear in mind that these are the minimum system requirements; recommended specs haven't been given but as we all know, the more, the merrier. Or the bigger, the better. The higher, the farther. You know what I'm talking about.

Call of Duty: Ghosts comes out on November 15 for the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and PC, and as a launch title for the Xbox One and PlayStation 4.

Source: Call of Duty [http://community.callofduty.com/community/call_of_duty/english/ghosts/blog#.UmlGyMolVkg]

AnthrSolidSnake

Jun 2, 2011
They're not really that bad, compared to what a dedicated PC gamer would have in their system. The problem is, CoD is a mainstream series, meaning most people that will want to play this won't have these specs, the GPU specifically. Though, chances are, these same people I mentioned are probably only going to play it on console anyway. I don't know anyone that is a fan of the series that plays it on PC.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
AnthrSolidSnake said:
They're not really that bad, compared to what a dedicated PC gamer would have in their system. The problem is, CoD is a mainstream series, meaning most people that will want to play this won't have these specs, the GPU specifically. Though, chances are, these same people I mentioned are probably only going to play it on console anyway. I don't know anyone that is a fan of the series that plays it on PC.
I'm a fan, I guess, and I play it on PC. Though I suppose you don't know me so I'm only proving your point.

Honestly those are pretty light requirements and I'm willing to bet you could undercut them by a little too, I used to play much more visually intensive games dialled down on an old HD 4770 and a shitty wolfdale Dual Core.

As for the 40GB install, meh, quit your whining, if you have a bandwidth cap thats really not the developer or publishers fault. If you don't have that kind of HDD capacity it's also not their fault, a lot of games have been around that big for a good few years now and frankly I'll be glad of some lighter compression on audio and video if it delivers a better quality experience.

tangoprime

Renegade Interrupt
May 5, 2011
Hold up, wait... there are still people around WITHOUT 64-bit operating systems? When I saw this headline, my first thought was "...and in other news, Watch Dogs won't work on Windows 3.11 systems."

Gethsemani_v1legacy

Oct 1, 2009
tangoprime said:
Hold up, wait... there are still people around WITHOUT 64-bit operating systems? When I saw this headline, my first thought was "...and in other news, Watch Dogs won't work on Windows 3.11 systems."
According to the Steam survey about every fifth steam user. That's quite a lot of people to leave behind, though I suppose it has to be done sooner or later.

Sanunes

Mar 18, 2011
Desert Punk said:
Wow they trimmed it down a whole 10 gigs from the nvidia estimate!

As I said before. This is definitely a steam sale only candidate if they want me to burn that much of my bandwidth cap on one game.
I am pretty sure that is going to be a common requirement for hard disk space for games that are being developed for the next generation of consoles.

Yoshi4102

Mar 10, 2012
Why is a 64-bit operating system even considered news? Shouldn't it be standard by now? By all means, I'm not very knowledgeable on computer stuff, but my computer is 2 1/2 years old and is still 64-bit.

devotedsniper

Dec 28, 2010
This is hardly news, any gaming machine from the past 5 years would be running 64bit, hell i've been running 64bit from the late xp era. The rest of the stats are pretty basic, my low end laptop even has 6gb RAM.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Yoshi4102 said:
Why is a 64-bit operating system even considered news? Shouldn't it be standard by now? By all means, I'm not very knowledgeable on computer stuff, but my computer is 2 1/2 years old and is still 64-bit.
It's actually hard to find operating systems that are still 32 bit. I know if you use the upgrade function from earlier 32-bit Windows to Windows 8 you get the 32 bit version of Windows 8, but at this point anyone running a 32 bit system should be upgrading. They can't utilize the RAM required for most modern games on them anyway.

senobit

Jan 6, 2011
Hang on a sec a Nvidia GTS 450 or a Radeon 5870? What kind of mis-matched min spec is that?

The GTS is a very average card that's slower than 5770, where the 5870 is psu killing monster of a card.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
Love how everyone is like "meh" and people like me are using windows XP. Glad to see they dropped the harddrive space by 10GB, 50GB for any game is nuts, especially from a series with a notoriously short single player campaign. Hell look at X Rebirth "Hard Drive: 12 GB available space " from Steam's recommended requirements. That's for a whole functioning universe.

not_you

Don't ask, or you won't know
Mar 16, 2011
Rainbow_Dashtruction said:
These requirements are BS. If it runs on 360, I want settings that allow a PC that runs all the much better looking 360 games to run it as well. There is no reason to require more then the 32-bit 4gb limitation.
The 32 bit OS cut-out isn't due to the RAM constraints...

Sure, I bet the game will run on 4GB just fine, but it doesn't matter how much RAM you have if you're only running 32bit...

But I do agree, the requirements are complete garbage... Even for Activision's standards...
The GPU "requirement" is a load of crap too... More to the point: How many people with a C2Duo actually run a 5870?

Any takers?

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
tangoprime said:
Damn it! You mean I can't play Watch Dogs?

Thanks, Obama!

not_you

Don't ask, or you won't know
Mar 16, 2011
not_you said:
These requirements are BS. If it runs on 360, I want settings that allow a PC that runs all the much better looking 360 games to run it as well. There is no reason to require more then the 32-bit 4gb limitation.
The 32 bit OS cut-out isn't due to the RAM constraints...

Sure, I bet the game will run on 4GB just fine, but it doesn't matter how much RAM you have if you're only running 32bit...

But I do agree, the requirements are complete garbage... Even for Activision's standards...
The GPU "requirement" is a load of crap too... More to the point: How many people with a C2Duo actually run a 5870?

Any takers?
The only thing that is THAT seriously limiting with 32 bit is that it cant register more then 3.8gb of RAM. Nothing else is limited to a point where you'd actually be restricted without needing more then 3.8gb of RAM. There is NO reason a game that is on PS3 or 360 should EVER need 3.8gb of RAM. Ever. It can have way higher settings that require more then 3.8, but a game that requires more then 3.8gb and runs on 360 or PS3 is just as bad a port as a game that doesn't have higher settings then console.
I'd say the reason the these system requirements are so high is because PC gamers get the PS4/XBone port of the game... not the 360/PS3...