Nintendo Open to More HD Remakes if Made by Development Partner

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
Nintendo Open to More HD Remakes if Made by Development Partner

Nintendo is focusing on developing new titles, but it wouldn't say no to others making HD remakes of old Nintendo games.

HD remake this, HD remake that. HD remasters are all over the place. Nintendo's own Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD launched last month. Speaking as a part of a roundtable interview, Shigeru Miyamoto said Nintendo is working on new titles; however, were someone outside Nintendo to work with the company to develop HD remakes, Nintendo would be interested.

Miyamoto did not mention the names of any development partners for future HD remakes. He added HD remakes should make use of Wii U technology rather than only updating the visuals for the Wii U.

"The main thing that's always going to be on our minds is what new elements of gameplay can we use with the Gamepad as applied to some of these older games," he said. "We want to find some way to bring a refreshing experience to this rather than simply update the visuals and leave it at that."

In an earlier Iwata Asks [http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/wiiu/wind-waker/0/3], Takuhiro Dohta of the Technology Development Department at Nintendo said only a few in-house designers at Nintendo worked on Wind Waker HD. "Things that could be done with sheer manpower" were handed off to developers outside of Nintendo.

Nintendo has several series that have gone on for many years, giving the company and development partners much to work from - so long as Nintendo feels the remake can add something new to the original.

Source: GameSpot [http://www.gamespot.com/articles/nintendo-open-to-more-hd-remakes/1100-6415763/]

Toadfish1

May 28, 2013
So they're not going to be internally developing the remakes of their older games?

So why the change now, since thats all they've done for the last 20 years?

RobDaBank

Nov 16, 2011
To beat a dead horse, I'd love to see an updated Majoras Mask come out of this, preferably for the Wii U and not the 3DS like OOT did. Mainly because I'm looking for another excuse to buy a Wii U other than Skyward Sword and Luigi U

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Toadfish1 said:
So they're not going to be internally developing the remakes of their older games?

*sigh* There's a difference between "remake" (HD re-releases with updated textures and tweaked gameplay elements) and "port" (keeping the game intact, but playable in a different platform), also, the most recent remakes (not simple ports) that comes to mind are Ocarina of Time and Star Fox 64, both for the 3DS, there's not yet a single remake or even port of that style on the Wii U, except Wind Waker.

OT: Hmmm... isn't the Virtual Console enough for these things?, I'd rather prefer a low price port than a full fledged remake... except if it's F-Zero GX. PLEASE Ninty, remake that in HD D:

Toadfish1

May 28, 2013
SupahGamuh said:
Toadfish1 said:

*sigh* There's a difference between "remake" (HD re-releases with updated textures and tweaked gameplay elements) and "port" (keeping the game intact, but playable in a different platform), also, the most recent remakes (not simple ports) that comes to mind are Ocarina of Time and Star Fox 64, both for the 3DS, there's not yet a single remake or even port of that style on the Wii U, except Wind Waker.

OT: Hmmm... isn't the Virtual Console enough for these things?, I'd rather prefer a low price port than a full fledged remake... except if it's F-Zero GX. PLEASE Ninty, remake that in HD D:
No, I was referring to remakes like every super Mario game since 64, ever Zelda game since Ocarina of Time, every Mario Kart since 64, every Kirby game period, and every Pokemon game period.

Jumwa

Jun 21, 2010
SupahGamuh said:
I'd rather prefer a low price port than a full fledged remake... except if it's F-Zero GX. PLEASE Ninty, remake that in HD D:
Would love a HD remake of that.

I'd also love a WiiU remake of the Metroid Prime Trilogy. I know we just got a re-release with the Wii, but it wasn't Wii Motion+ compatible. All the pre-Motion+ games seem so archaic to me now.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
I welcome the idea, as long as they tone down the bloom a bit.
Seriously, Wind Waker HD had way too much bloom in it and that's the only thing I disliked about the game.

And for those who say "they didn't use too much bloom", look at the Tower of the Gods Appears cutscene and tell me that again.
Bloom seems to be something that Nintendo needs to work on because it gets pretty bad at certain points, especially since you are out on the open seas so much in Wind Waker.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Toadfish1 said:
No, I was referring to remakes like every super Mario game since 64, ever Zelda game since Ocarina of Time, every Mario Kart since 64, every Kirby game period, and every Pokemon game period.
Right... because every sequel ever made is a remake of the first game.

Fallout 2 is a sequel "remake" of Fallout 1.

Doom 2 is a sequel "remake" of Doom 1.

Halo 2 is a is a sequel "remake" of Halo 1.

Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2/3/Black Ops/2/Ghosts is a sequel "remake" of Call of Duty 4.

Toadfish1

May 28, 2013
SupahGamuh said:
Toadfish1 said:
Right... because every sequel ever made is a remake of the first game.

Fallout 2 is a sequel "remake" of Fallout 1.

Doom 2 is a sequel "remake" of Doom 1.

Halo 2 is a is a sequel "remake" of Halo 1.

Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2/3/Black Ops/2/Ghosts is a sequel "remake" of Call of Duty 4.
No, just the ones that do it the way Nintendo does, with the same exact characters, in the same exact story, playing out with the same structure, over and over and over and over and over.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Jumwa said:
All the pre-Motion+ games seem so archaic to me now.
I respect that and to some extent, I agree, BUT, Prime Trilogy was highly dependent on the IR pointer, wich IMO, is much better than the shoddy default motion controls of the Wiimote (granted, I'm talking about Prime 1/2, but if you're refering to Prime 3, then I totally agree, it desperately needs a Motion Plus upgrade).

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Toadfish1 said:
No, just the ones that do it the way Nintendo does, with the same exact characters, in the same exact story, playing out with the same structure, over and over and over and over and over.
Because Square-Enix hasn't milked Final Fantasy VII/XIII enough by now, or Activision recycling "russians wants to take over the world with their arabic pawns" every year and Electronic Arts mimicking them, or every Halo killing grunts/brutes/elites/flood, or any BioWare game that follows the exact same template in their stories, or every Gears of War with testosterone filled guns with chainsaws, or Capcom with every single Street Fighter game.

Because no one can enjoy something because it's been done to death by somebody else or it's just repeating ideas over and over.

Battenberg

Browncoat
Aug 16, 2012
Toadfish1 said:

Couldn't agree more (assuming your point is that there's been basically no innovation in Nintendo's games for close to 20 years now). I'm not even slightly suprised that they want to do more remakes of old games (saves them even pretending it's actually a new game), I'm only suprised that they would let other developers take a slice of the profits.

Battenberg

Browncoat
Aug 16, 2012
SupahGamuh said:
Toadfish1 said:
Because Square-Enix hasn't milked Final Fantasy VII/XIII enough by now, or Activision recycling "russians wants to take over the world with their arabic pawns" every year and Electronic Arts mimicking them, or every Halo killing grunts/brutes/elites/flood, or any BioWare game that follows the exact same template in their stories, or every Gears of War with testosterone filled guns with chainsaws, or Capcom with every single Street Fighter game.

Because no one can enjoy something because it's been done to death by somebody else or it's just repeating ideas over and over.
Are you saying the stagnation in CoD and the other franchises you mentioned is good? Because as far as I can tell it's a running joke at best and at worst potentially capable of destroying the gaming industry again. The Escapist is a place where people are particularly fed up with this and constanty griping about it. Simply pointing out that other franchises have been repeatedly recycled and overused as well doesn't change the fact that Nintendo have done this with more franchises than almost any other publisher/ developer and it certainly doesn't absolve them.

Maybe some people enjoy playing the same game with a new coat of paint every year, in fact the franchises you mentioned would have died out if they didn't, but don't expect every gamer to be satisfied with that, especially not on this website.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Battenberg said:
Are you saying the stagnation in CoD and the other franchises you mentioned is good? Because as far as I can tell it's a running joke at best and at worst potentially capable of destroying the gaming industry again. The Escapist is a place where people are particularly fed up with this and constanty griping about it. Simply pointing out that other franchises have been repeatedly recycled and overused as well doesn't change the fact that Nintendo have done this with more franchises than almost any other publisher/ developer and it certainly doesn't absolve them.

Maybe some people enjoy playing the same game with a new coat of paint every year, in fact the franchises you mentioned would have died out if they didn't, but don't expect every gamer to be satisfied with that, especially not on this website.
So, I have to just pretend to keep scoffing at the CODs and Fifas of the world, because it's the popular thing around here.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
Toadfish1 said:
Super Mario
  • [li]FLUDD[/li][li]Totally new bosses[/li][li]Bee powerup[/li][li]Spring powerup[/li][li]Totally new level layouts (kind of the meat of a platformer)[/li][li]Launch stars[/li][li]Ice Mario[/li][li]Spring powerup[/li][li]Ghost Mario[/li][li]Lumas[/li]

Zelda
  • [li]Sailing[/li][li]3-day cycle[/li][li]Grappling hook (totally different from hookshot)[/li][li]brand new dungeons with new puzzles[/li][li]Totally new bosses[/li][li]Pretty much every single mechanic in Phantom Hourglass[/li][li]Wolf link[/li][li]Every plot point revolving around Midna[/li][li]Mask transformations[/li][li]Bird riding[/li][li]Trains[/li][li](Nearly) 1:1 motion combat[/li]

Mario Kart
  • [li]2-person karts[/li][li]Gliders[/li][li]New battle modes[/li][li]New tracks (every Mario Kart since DS has had remake tracks also, but the same number of new tracks as 64)[/li][li]Motorcycles[/li][li]Choosable karts per character[/li][li]Chain Chomps/Bullet Bills (pretty much the same thing)[/li][li]Pow blocks[/li][li]Bloopers[/li][li]Super leaves[/li]

Kirby
  • [li]A COPY MECHANIC (Don't forget, Kirby's Dream Land didn't have this)[/li][li]New enemies and powers[/li][li]Minigames[/li][li]Co-op[/li][li]Dual-powers[/li][li]New levels[/li][li]Rideable pals[/li][li]The unified world in Amazing Mirror[/li][li]The core mechanic in Canvas Curse[/li][li]A whole bunch of new mechanics in Epic Yarn[/li][li]Treasure hunting[/li][li]Permanent, swappable powers[/li][li]Seasons[/li]

Pokemon
  • [li]Steel, dark, and fairy types[/li][li]New regions[/li][li]Poké Blocks[/li][li]Poffins[/li][li]Berries[/li][li]Apricorns[/li][li]A bunch of Unown-related puzzles[/li][li]Multi-speed bikes[/li][li]Skates[/li][li]Tag battles[/li][li]Contests (beauty, cool, etc)[/li][li]Happiness[/li][li]Mega evolutions[/li][li]A shitload of new Pokemon[/li][li]Weather[/li][li]EVs and IVs (this is a big one in the competitive community)[/li][li]Secret Bases[/li][li]Online/GTS[/li][li]Underground[/li]

Call them remakes if you want, but Nintendo quite frankly brings a lot more new to their sequels than most companies. You just notice repetition more with them because they don't stop everything once it reaches a trilogy, and because they make fewer design mistakes that actually need changed (see: everything in Mass Effect).

P.S. Thanks

Battenberg

Browncoat
Aug 16, 2012
SupahGamuh said:
Battenberg said:

So, I have to just pretend to keep scoffing at the CODs and Fifas of the world, because it's the popular thing around here.
You have a talent for misinterpretation. That wasn't my point at all, my point was that you were implying that just reusing old games with minor changes to make them current gen is acceptable. Not everyone feels that way and the CoDs and Fifas of the world certainly aren't very popular on this site. If you like them that's fine, you're free to do so just like I or anyone else is free to dislike them, the same goes for Nintendo games.

Personally I think Nintendo are overrated and are basically incapable of creating new ideas and nostalgia has encouraged a lot of people to forgive them for this and not include them as one of those AAA deveopers who symbolises current stagnation in big budget games.

DaViller

Sep 3, 2013
Battenberg said:
Couldn't agree more (assuming your point is that there's been basically no innovation in Nintendo's games for close to 20 years now). I'm not even slightly suprised that they want to do more remakes of old games (saves them even pretending it's actually a new game), I'm only suprised that they would let other developers take a slice of the profits.
Sorry bro but that "no innovation in 20 years" line is straight up bullshit.

OT: I just want a 3ds majoras mask and all is well.

Battenberg

Browncoat
Aug 16, 2012
DaViller said:
Battenberg said:
Sorry bro but that "no innovation in 20 years" line is straight up bullshit.

OT: I just want a 3ds majoras mask and all is well.
Care to back that profanity up with an actual argument? Ideally one that includes examples?

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Well I know I certainly wouldn't mind a HD Metroid Prime Trilogy. :D

Not sure what else, mind.