Witcher Turns 6 With 6 Million Sales To Date

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Witcher Turns 6 With 6 Million Sales To Date

CD Projekt wants to thank its customers, the key to its success.

CD Projekt RED owes a lot to Geralt of Rivia; its Witcher series helped make the studio what it is today. It's been 6 years, and 6 million total sales, since the first Witcher, and CD Projekt's ecstatic with the way things have gone so far. "CD Projekt RED was built on the idea that giving gamers more is always worth it," says CEO Adam Badowski, a policy that has paid off big time.

Not that it's resting on its laurels. The upcoming Witcher CD Projekt's still looking for some help to get that done [http://wpc.4d7d.edgecastcdn.net/004D7D/www/thewitcher/other/The-Witcher_in-numbers_info-EN.jpg].

"Since the very beginning of our journey we have seen that the approach of inviting gamers into a dialogue with the developer is really important and can shake up the - sometimes self-destructive - business side of games," says Badowski. "We hope you'll stay with us for the years to come and that we will continue to make these changes together."

Source: CD Projekt RED [http://cdpred.com/]

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
THIRTY SIX!? Well, here's hoping there's some more variety to them than "You asplode the galaxy a different color". I mean, yeah, some of them are probably going to have pretty similar details, but I can respect that if there are massive changes between some.

antidonkey

Dec 10, 2009
I've tried several times to get into the Witcher and I just can't do it. That has caused me to hesitate giving #2 a shot. Bit of a shame since it looks really. Maybe one day....when I'm finally caught up on playing games I've had for a year or two and not touche...I'll give the Wither series another go.

Another

Mar 19, 2008
erttheking said:
THIRTY SIX!? Well, here's hoping there's some more variety to them than "You asplode the galaxy a different color". I mean, yeah, some of them are probably going to have pretty similar details, but I can respect that if there are massive changes between some.
Geralt stands on a platform surrounded by 36 walkways leading to 36 different colors as a character that never really showed up before explains every single one. That sounds so ridiculous I almost want to see it.

But not really. Hopefully CD Projekt has got this, if Wither 2's endings are anything to go by.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
Wow, only six million? A shame because it's probably "the" RPG at the moment in terms of setting, characters, plot and consequence.

As for the endings and having played through the Witcher 4 times to see the various endings I can tell you they're all significantly different and will result in a massive power-shift in some way. A new nation is established, a nation is wiped out, two nations join, a cult is established, a cult is forced underground, main adversary lives, main adversary dies, a dynasty expands, a dynasty is wiped out... and all of them can be combined in some way or another and those decisions can have consequences for your immediate companions - including your bromance buddy Roche/Iorveth.

There are going to be a ton of save games available for import as well in case you can't stomach having to play through The Witcher II to create a different starting state for The Witcher III. This is looking to be as much as a "must buy" as Skyrim.

porous_shield

Jan 25, 2012
SecretNegative said:
antidonkey said:
I've tried several times to get into the Witcher and I just can't do it. That has caused me to hesitate giving #2 a shot. Bit of a shame since it looks really. Maybe one day....when I'm finally caught up on playing games I've had for a year or two and not touche...I'll give the Wither series another go.
Take my advice, skip the first game. The voiceacting, combat and large parts of the game are just shit, pure shit. Just start with the second immideatly, it's better in basically every single aspect, and is (unlike the first) actually a very good game.
Did you play the enhanced version? I thought the voice acting was fine and was one of the best rpgs I've ever played. I didn't like the second one nearly as much as the first. Just because a game isn't for you, you don't have to call it shit.

Clive Howlitzer

Jan 27, 2011
SecretNegative said:
antidonkey said:
Take my advice, skip the first game. The voiceacting, combat and large parts of the game are just shit, pure shit. Just start with the second immideatly, it's better in basically every single aspect, and is (unlike the first) actually a very good game.
I'd go a step further and say you should play the second one with the unofficial big overhaul patch done by one of the developers.

Clive Howlitzer

Jan 27, 2011
SecretNegative said:
Clive Howlitzer said:
SecretNegative said:
antidonkey said:
I'd go a step further and say you should play the second one with the unofficial big overhaul patch done by one of the developers.
Isn't that patch mandatory? Is it actually possible to play the game without that patch?
You can play without it. It requires a separate install.

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
(Only) 6 million units total in a franchise. Smashing success for CD RED.

(Only) 6 million units sold on one game. Massive failure for EA, Capcom, Konami, SEGA, Activision and so on.

Me thinks big publishers need to rethink their development strategies.

Witcher 1 whilst an interesting play-through is just a bit too juvenile (collectible fuck cards!) and MMO like for me. It has interesting designs and areas and there is allot of story to be had here with different monsters and a bit more detail into the creatures than Witcher 2, but Witcher 2 just beats it out of the park in scope, substance and style.

Play Witcher 2 first is what I would say. Then play Witcher 1 and pretend Dandelion is telling the story in a pub and you are basically playing like in Bastion where it's a story being narrated to you, only there's no voice over, the bad stuff is just his shortcomings and embellishments of what actually happened.

I will be looking forward to Witcher 3 and Cyberpunk 2077. Just wish they'd update us a bit more on these things.