PS4 Will Have Day One System Update for New Features

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
PS4 Will Have Day One System Update for New Features

The suspend/resume sleep feature is, however, not included.

Many features will not be available for the PlayStation 4 out of the box. A 1.50 System Update will be available on Nov. 15, the day the console launches, and will add several new features; however, the suspend/resume mode will not be available at launch.

The 300 MB update will add remote play, second screen, uploading of gameplay, broadcasting of gameplay, play as you download, multi log-in, party voice chat, face and voice recognition, a background music player, online multiplayer, and blu-ray disc and DVD player. The console will not support a lowered-powered sleep state that allows users to jump back into a game when resuming use.

People with a PS4 and a PS Vita can use remote play to take most PS4 titles and play them on the Vita using WiFi and PS4 Link. The upcoming PS Vita system software version will be required to use PS4 Link, which is also needed for second screen functionality. One of the cooler features of the PS4 is the ability to upload and broadcast gameplay in real-time via Ustream and Twitch. For anyone buying the PlayStation Camera, the update will allow users to register their facial image onto the PS4 system. The microphone of the Mono Headset bundled with the PS4 or the PlayStation Camera can be used to navigate through the PS4 home screen. Voice recognition will allow commands to turn on and off the PS4.

Sony will provide more information about the update and features available after launch "in the near future."

Source: PlayStation Blog [http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/10/25/ps4-system-software-update-1-50-details/]

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Whoa, wait... It can't play blu-ray and DVD discs out of the box?! You seriously need a firmware update for that?!

So unless you have an internet connection it won't do shit, since the games themselves are on blu-ray.

Unless I'm misunderstanding this... Way to fuck up, Sony.

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
blu-ray disc and DVD player.
It needs a day one patch to play DVDs and Blu-Rays? Like, seriously?

I mean the PS2 had a bloody DVD player. This is basic stuff, Sony.

Midniqht

Beer Quaffer
Jul 10, 2009
To be expected, I suppose. Both consoles are going to have a slew of updates and patches day one and within the weeks after release.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
It was about time Sony did a Microsoft.

It seems kind of strange that the basic functions of the previous console aren't available without a patch on the new one. You'd think such features would be built into it from the start.

I also swear the low-powered sleep thing was one of the first things they were showing off after it was announced, so it's pretty bad to have that unavailable at launch too.

Both Microsoft and Sony have been far too eager to jump on the next generation just because it's coming up to Christmas and they want the sales. I'd say both consoles could do with another 6 months or so before launch really.

RikuoAmero

Jan 27, 2010
I was honestly half-expecting this article to say that the day one patch was the operating system itself, that Sony had conveniently forgotten to install it on the machines and that fairy dust is responsible for programming a machine without an OS to be able to download an OS.

EDIT - This long list is very suspicious, since this isn't the Xbone. I can understand the Day One Patches for the Xbone - it's possible that machines were already in production by the day of the reveal, with all the coding for the DRM features Microsoft wanted to have. A patch would then be the only way for Microsoft to strip the DRM bull. However...not Sony. Sony knew what features the console was going to have and no-one's bitched to them to remove any of them. Why are so many of these features download-only rather than being pre-installed? As the guys up above said...DVD playback of all things? Really? A technology that was perfect well over a decade ago? What sort of process is Sony (or an outside contractor) using that so many features are not pre-installed on the machines?

Bug MuIdoon

Mar 28, 2013
I was about to type something along the lines of "Who cares? This is genuinely expected. Online features need updating lots, you don't expect them to be up to date in x months time"

Then I read the part about the blu-ray and DVD player...

So basically, unless you have an internet connection, you can't do squat with a ps4. Which pretty much was the reason everyone hated on the the Xbone, before they back peddled like an otter.

I usually watch from the sidelines when these things come up, but I just had to comment on this one. Big fuck up there, Sony.

So, when are those Steamboxes due for release again?

oldtaku

Jan 7, 2011
and blu-ray disc and DVD player
Everyone's getting worked up about this, but I took it to mean a /movie player/ and that your games would still work as just data disks. Otherwise they'd say blu-ray disc and DVD player functionality. Could be wrong though!

Edit: Yes, just went back to the original post (which they may have updated):
Blu-ray and DVD video contents. When using for the first time, users must connect to the internet to activate this feature.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
So Sony were waiting until Microsoft got their derping done before having their own moment of silliness? I'm suprised that the video uploading and streaming thing isn't built in to the box given that they have a button on the controller for those things, I kind of expected that it would be a standard launch feature rather than something that needed to be patched in. Seems like the PS4 is going to be pretty shit unless you have access to that patch.

And aren't most of those things the selling points they used during the reveal to show how awesome the console will be?

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
Just looking at all the features that need this patch to work...something tells me that this is more of a legitimate console confirmation more than a "firmware" update.

You connect your PS4 to the net on Day One, and they see whether your copy is legit. Or if it's a dunce. If it's a dunce, you find yourself with a completely useless brick of a console.

It's either that, or Sony was so busy stroking their own dong over their "victory" over Microsoft that they forgot that their console has a slew of things that needed to be fixed as well.

-Ezio-

Eats Nuts, Kicks Butts.
Nov 17, 2009
dont PS3 games come with the most recent update on disk? i imagine it'll be the same way with ps4. is there anyone really buying it without at least 1 game?

el_kabong

Shark Rodeo Champion
Mar 18, 2010
And this, kids, is why you don't pre-order. I'm a firm supporter of the PS4, but glad I wasn't blinded by the hype to realize that mass issues with a console launch are still likely. After a month or two of proven performance, THEN I'll look into picking up a next-gen system.

RikuoAmero

Jan 27, 2010
Dragonbums said:
Just looking at all the features that need this patch to work...something tells me that this is more of a legitimate console confirmation more than a "firmware" update.

You connect your PS4 to the net on Day One, and they see whether your copy is legit. Or if it's a dunce. If it's a dunce, you find yourself with a completely useless brick of a console.

It's either that, or Sony was so busy stroking their own dong over their "victory" over Microsoft that they forgot that their console has a slew of things that needed to be fixed as well.
Copy? Copy of what? A game...? But this is about the console itself. There's no way for anyone to somehow have a "copy" of the console, like say, its OS in a virtual machine or something.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Casual Shinji said:
Whoa, wait... It can't play blu-ray and DVD discs out of the box?! You seriously need a firmware update for that?!

So unless you have an internet connection it won't do shit, since the games themselves are on blu-ray.

Unless I'm misunderstanding this... Way to fuck up, Sony.
It's probably for movies, not games. You need firmware and codecs and stuff for that.

This is a pretty big fuck up, no doubt about it. But at least it's only 300Mb.

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
RikuoAmero said:
Dragonbums said:

Copy? Copy of what? A game...? But this is about the console itself. There's no way for anyone to somehow have a "copy" of the console, like say, its OS in a virtual machine or something.
There is always a way to get a cracked, jailbroken version of a console. Look at those updates.

Half of them make no sense or reason to have a firmware patch update.

RikuoAmero

Jan 27, 2010
Dragonbums said:
RikuoAmero said:
Dragonbums said:

There is always a way to get a cracked, jailbroken version of a console. Look at those updates.

Half of them make no sense or reason to have a firmware patch update.
Yes there are ways to crack a console...but before the thing is even released?