Next Pokemon Title is a Detective Game With Pikachu

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
Next Pokemon Title is a Detective Game With Pikachu

Updates for the mysterious Pikachu game reveal players team up with Pikachu to defeat a different, evil Pikachu.

Pikachu quit its day job to become a detective. In the next 3DS Pokemon game, players will act as a detective with Pikachu by their side. In a profile of Pokemon Company CEO Tsunekazu Ishihara, Japanese broadcast company NHK revealed a demo for the in-development game featuring Pikachu.

Development for the game Pikachu mimicking human facial gestures. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/128545-New-Pokemon-Game-Starring-Pikachu-is-in-Production] According to Serebii, a talking blue Pikachu will be controlled through facial recognition and motion capture.

In the detective adventure, the player will have to defeat an evil version Pikachu with the help of a Pikachu. Ishihara earlier stated he had concerns that the new game could damage Pikachu's popularity. During the program, Ishihara said he could not see people liking the enemy Pikachu.

The game is still in early development, meaning many things could change by its release. Hopefully the facial recognition Pikachu won't be as scary as the previous screenshot showed.

The program also revealed a beta version of a sequel to Pokemon Trozei! -- released in Europe as Pokemon Link! -- a puzzle game for the DS similar to Tetris. No details were shared about the game, but it will likely be a downloadable release.

It's nice to see Pikachu has the luxury to take a break from shocking opponents in Pokemon to lend its skills for sleuthing.

Source: Nintendo Life [http://www.serebii.net/index2.shtml]

Phrozenflame500

Dec 26, 2012
"Hey Bob, I've this neat game idea where you play as a detective, and it utilizes facial capturing technology and everything, it could be revolutionary!"

"Does it use an established IP? We can't take anything so crazy as a risk, we're Nintendo for Christ's sake!"

"Well, no, but-"

"Well slap Pikachu on it and brand it as a Pokemon game then! Kids are stupid, they'll eat it up."

And then they greenlit another 12 HD re-releases.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
roseofbattle said:
According to Serebii, a talking blue Pikachu will be controlled through facial recognition and motion capture.
Pikablu is finally real! =P

[sub]I shouldn't have to clarify this, but I will anyway, yes I know that was Marill[/sub]

Anyway, I'm certainly intrigued by the idea. Whether or not it turns out to be any good or not, we shall have to wait and see.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
Phrozenflame500 said:
"Hey Bob, I've this neat game idea where you play as a detective, and it utilizes facial capturing technology and everything, it could be revolutionary!"

"Does it use an established IP? We can't take anything so crazy as a risk, we're Nintendo for Christ's sake!"

"Well, no, but-"

"Well slap Pikachu on it and brand it as a Pokemon game then! Kids are stupid, they'll eat it up."

And then they greenlit another 12 HD re-releases.
Yeah this seems like an... odd fit for a Pokemon game. >_>

Pokemon sanp and the mystery Dungeon series at least make use of all the OTHER hundreds of pokemon, besides just the yellow mascot. You could replace Pikachu with a dog, and you would only not have to make obligatory "puzzles relating to electricity." Why not Nintendogs? That sounds like a more logical fit for this game.

I also wonder how this managed to be leaked, when normally Nintendo keeps a iron tight lid on it's game development (which doesn't seem so tight only because of how predictable the company has become).

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
... It isn't April 1st. This totally feels like one of those prank articles. I can't believe they didn't just create a new IP. Well, I can, but it just means my interest in Nintendo remains the same.

loa

Jan 28, 2012
I wish they would retire pikachu and put another of the 700 critters in the spotlight because really, fuck pikachu.

Another

Mar 19, 2008
Oh god, I hope they make the facial recognition better than Pokemon-Amie. Because If that's one of the primary methods of control this is gonna suck.

Interesting idea, tho I'm more excited for a Pokemon Trozei sequel.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
It sounds interesting... but as much as I like Piakchu... couldn't they give another Pokemon the starring role?

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
Lightknight said:
... It isn't April 1st. This totally feels like one of those prank articles. I can't believe they didn't just create a new IP. Well, I can, but it just means my interest in Nintendo remains the same.
You expected Gamefreak to make a big new IP that wasn't Pokemon or some indie title like Horse Race Solitaire?

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
They literally started development of this game during the summer. If the thing has two years to go...why on Earth would you bother to reveal what little plot point they have for the game?

"Your a detective with a Pikachu, going against an evil Pikachu" I mean. That sounds really....eh?

They have two years so I'm really not going to dig into this.

Personally I would be more interested if it were Pokemon Snap U or something. Not a new IP in the slightest, but really, a lot of the N64 fans are pining for that game.
Perhaps Satoshi- along with a vendetta against consoles for Pokemon- has a special distaste in his heart for Pokemon Snap.

Caiphus

Social Office Corridor
Mar 31, 2010
Dragonbums said:
Personally I would be more interested if it were Pokemon Snap U or something.
YES!

Yeeeeees. I would buy a Wii U for a new Pokemon Snap game. I'd probably feel like a twelve year old buying it at the store, so I'd have to compensate by resting my scrotum on the counter while paying.

But seriously. Yes.

anonymity88 said:
I trust that there will be several shocking discoveries during the case.

(I regret nothing)
Your pun has been noted and the appropriate authorities have been informed.

Racecarlock

Jul 10, 2010
CSI: Lavender Town.

Sounds kind of cool, I guess. The only pokemon game I had as a kid was pokemon snap. Loved the TV show, though.

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
...Looker?

I can see this being interesting if they take full advantage of it taking place in the Pokemon-world. Don't just have Pikachu, have cases where you find a molten lock or something and have to determine if it was made by a fire-pokemon or a blowtorch, or a closed room mystery where the culprit could be a ghost-pokemon or a teleporting psychic type.

I'd actually be interested in seeing the Poke-world from a point of view of some real-world professions.