Sam Raimi May Direct Army of Darkness 2

MarlaDesat

Aug 22, 2013
Sam Raimi May Direct Army of Darkness 2

[tweet t=https://twitter.com/fedalvar/status/394170890709000192 align=right]

Evil Dead remake director Fede Alvarez announced on Twitter that Sam Raimi, director of the original Evil Dead series of films, will be directing the much-anticipated sequel to Army of Darkness.

As producer of the Evil Dead remake, Sam Raimi has stayed close the cult horror classic material that launched his career and that of actor Bruce Campbell. Now, Fede Alvarez, director of the remake, has pegged Raimi as director for Army of Darkness 2. The original film, Army of Darkness, saw The Evil Dead hero Ash (Campbell) travel back in time to the Middle Ages to both start and end an uprising of undead Deadites. In March 2013, Raimi's longtime producer Rob Tapert confirmed that reprise the role of Ash [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/122720-Evil-Dead-Producer-Confirms-Army-of-Darkness-2] in the sequel. Now, Alvarez's statement on Twitter has fans of the Evil Dead series slinging quotes about boomsticks and shopping smart at S-Mart while they wait for official confirmation from Raimi.

Rumors of a sequel have stirred up fan excitement for many years, but the recent confirmation by Campbell lends a little more weight to the tweet from Alvarez. Alvarez has been working closely with Raimi on the sequel to the Evil Dead remake. The remakes do not star Ash, leaving Campbell's character free to appear in a sequel to the comedic medieval horror without interfering with the story. Until an official announcement is made, the reunion of Raimi and Campbell for a new entry in the Evil Dead universe is not guaranteed. It might not be a sure thing, but for me, I know that if this film makes it to theaters I'll be the first one in line, saying, "Hail to the king, baby!"

Source: io9 [http://io9.com/get-your-hopes-up-because-sam-raimi-may-direct-army-of-1453530206]

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
I've heard a lot of horror fans complain that they would rather have a sequel to the 2013 Evil Dead instead of Army of Darkness 2. I've also heard of people wanting to see Bruce Campbell take up the boomstick one more time.

Personally, I'd like to see both. In fact, if the rumors are true, I'd also like to see the two movies crossover.

Let me explain. Growing up, I got into the Evil Dead series when my older brother showed me Army of Darkness. I enjoyed the hell out of it. It was my first introduction to Bruce Campbell and to the Evil Dead series. From there, I went backwards with the trilogy until I hit the original. Of course, I made the mistake of watching Evil Dead by myself... at night. O_O

Needless to say, I had to sleep with the lights on. Well, every light in the house on... ^^;

I have seen the remake in theater and enjoyed it as it was. While it lacks the humor of Evil Dead 2 and Army of Darkness (mostly brought on after the whole "video nasty" legal battle Sam had to deal with), it goes back to the true horror roots of the original. I'd like to see what happens to Mia after the events of the cabin and what other horrors does the Book of the Dead hold for her.

But I am very curious as to how the two "chosen ones" will meet and how they will interact. Part of me wants to see Jane Levy get in on some splat-stick (a term coined to describe ED2 and AoD's mix of slap-stick comedy and horror). But I'm also interested in seeing how Ash and Mia work together. I picture a sort of father/daughter kinship between the two since Ash has the most experience with the Book of the Dead and Mia could use someone to watch over her after what she had to endure (both pre and post ED 2013 events). Also, the idea of seeing them "hooking up" would be all kinds of icky (Bruce is old enough to be her father, BTW).

Plus I'd like to see if Mia gets a prosthetic chainsaw hand. =D

But that's just one fellow's opinion.

Icehearted

Jul 14, 2009
If it's written to take up what happened after the true ending of the movie, I am so down with that. Ash Williams coming back one more time? Groovy.

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
Really? A sequel after all these years? God, I have low expectations for that. It'll probably go the way of Indy 4 or something. :-\

Dr.Susse

Lv.1 NPC
Apr 17, 2009
How can we set up a giant funnel so I can pour my money directly down it so as the cash goes into Sam's pocket?

I liked the newest Evil Dead and the original thrillogy (Yes thrillogy) has continued to be some of my favorite movies.

These may be rumors but they are rumors I can delusionally get behind.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Skeleon said:
Really? A sequel after all these years? God, I have low expectations for that. It'll probably go the way of Indy 4 or something. :-\
Or Star Wars or...

But yeah, coming back to a franchise after so many years...just don't do that, it doesn't work. Come up with something new.

TiberiusEsuriens

Jun 24, 2010
Skeleon said:
I agree that a sequel to AoD would be a bit silly, but for some reason I read it as a sequel to the Evil Dead remake itself.

Evil Dead 1 (1981)
Evil Dead 2 [Evil Dead 1 remake] (1987) -> Evil Dead 3, Army of Darkness (1992)
Evil Dead [Evil Dead 2 remake] (2013) -> Evil Dead 2, Army of Darkness [remake] (?)

However the wiki page ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Evil_Dead_%28franchise%29 ) does call the last one "Evil Dead 2, Army of Darkness 2". If wiki's are anything to be believed both the original and the remake of Evil Dead are canon, as once both characters get sucked into the void in their own respective Army of Darkness films there may be another actually linking their two timelines together.

Also, while it will most definitely be a dumb movie, have you actually seen Army of Darkness? While Indy4 tried to be serious and failed miserably, the Evil Dead remakes were never intended to be anything but crazy and over the top. Sam Raimi is definitely high on something, but I have a feeling he'll pull it off, in his own stupidly ridiculous manner.

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
TiberiusEsuriens said:
Also, while it will most definitely be a dumb movie, have you actually seen Army of Darkness? While Indy4 tried to be serious and failed miserably, the Evil Dead remakes were never intended to be anything but crazy and over the top. Sam Raimi is definitely high on something, but I have a feeling he'll pull it off, in his own stupidly ridiculous manner.
You insult me. Of course I have seen Army of Darkness.
But perhaps you misunderstand me: I don't think Sam Raimi will try to make a "serious" sequel and fail, I think it'll suck as as comedic one, too (and yes, while Evil Dead was somewhat serious, the series got very comedic starting in Evil Dead 2, not in Army of Darkness).
My point is more about the nature of creating a sequel literally decades later, when much time has passed, people have changed and so on. Not to mention that I saw "Drag me to Hell", and while it was passable, it wasn't amazing.
I don't think Sam Raimi can pull off a good sequel after so much time has passed.

TiberiusEsuriens

Jun 24, 2010
Skeleon said:
TiberiusEsuriens said:
You insult me. Of course I have seen Army of Darkness.
But perhaps you misunderstand me: I don't think Sam Raimi will try to make a "serious" sequel and fail, I think it'll suck as as comedic one, too (and yes, while Evil Dead was somewhat serious, the series got very comedic starting in Evil Dead 2, not in Army of Darkness).
My point is more about the nature of creating a sequel literally decades later, when much time has passed, people have changed and so on. Not to mention that I saw "Drag me to Hell", and while it was passable, it wasn't amazing.
I don't think Sam Raimi can pull off a good sequel after so much time has passed.
Understood. BTW I did include ED2 in "remakes." My main concern is actually the return of Bruce Cambell as Ash. The man is a great actor and the only reason I sill sometimes watch Burn Notice (he's the ONLY decent actor on that show), but even more so than the movie being ten years old is that Cambell is going to be look and feel incredibly different on camera. I think their hearts are in the right place, but it just won't feel as good.