Steam's Webmages Selling Shadowrun 33% Off

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Steam's Webmages Selling Shadowrun 33% Off

A one day only sale, chummer.

If the thought of fantasy cyberpunk dystopia Shadowrun Returns hasn't yet tempted you to part with the readies, today's your lucky day. In fact, today is your only lucky day, since Steam's 33% off sale is a one day only event, and ends Weds at 10am Pacific time. Better hurry!

Shadowrun [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/10507-Shadowrun-Returns-Review] is Harebrained Schemes' shot at revitalizing this venerable RPG. It's got more than a touch of XCom in its tactical combat, and there's a ton of user generated content being developed as you read this. Out there, right now, someone is designing an Ork, just for you. The daily deal means that the basic game is just $13.39 while the deluxe - basic game, soundtrack and short story plus concept art anthology - is $23.44.

Want to know more? Mr Johnson suggests you head over to Steam [http://store.steampowered.com/app/234650/] and have a look-see.

Source: Steam [http://store.steampowered.com/news/11720/]

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
It's actually a two day sale now that Steam has 48 hour deals.

Kinda curious why this gets an article and every other game doesn't though.

Z of the Na'vi

Born with one kidney.
Apr 27, 2009
hazabaza1 said:
That's just it. Every other game on sale would have an article. Think about that for a second.

I'm going to guess they chose this one due to its "indie" nature and quite a few people hadn't heard of it yet.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Z of the Na said:
hazabaza1 said:
That's just it. Every other game on sale would have an article. Think about that for a second.

I'm going to guess they chose this one due to its "indie" nature and quite a few people hadn't heard of it yet.
Yeah alright, but I've got a good bunch of indie games on my Steam games list that certainly deserved a few more sales. Hell, Spec Ops was on sale yesterday I think it was, and that was a game that not only didn't sell well but was also loved by a major contributor to the site.

Just curious why this game seems to be a special article when most discussions of it seem to end up with the consensus of "it's pretty mediocre."

medv4380

The Crazy One
Feb 26, 2010
Not one penny until they have it fully on Linux. They got money on their kickstarter because they said they would so I wont buy until it is finished.

Even if it's on a really good sale.

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
hazabaza1 said:
Just curious why this game seems to be a special article when most discussions of it seem to end up with the consensus of "it's pretty mediocre."
I want to join those discussions. Every place I've seen has raved about Shadowrun being the most amazing RPG ever and its computer game counterpart is nothing short of digital gold.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Speaking as a KS backer, I will say that the game is well worth that price if you like the genre. It's not flashy and chrome-plated, but it's got a good sense of style and the writing is mostly above-par.

Quiet Stranger

Feb 4, 2006
Someone convince me on why I should buy this game, why is it so good? What's the gameplay like? I'm looking for a new game to buy and I hear a lot of talk about this game

AldUK

Oct 29, 2010
It's a great little game. Unfortunately I have to put the focus on little. Sure, the writing is great, the combat is tactical and fun and the art really takes me back to the glory days of isometric RPGs, but it was just too short. I finished the entire story over one weekend and for a PC RPG that's just not enough content. Yes, people are working on fan-made content, new campaigns, mods, etc. However I tried about 10 different offerings after finishing the official campaign and they were either laughably awful or unfinished with a "check back later."

Once again, great game. Far too short.

toms

Oct 23, 2008
It is mediocre, bordering on bad.
People are giving it way too much attention because it is using in the Shadowrun setting and is supposed to be an old school RPG.
It is an extremely watered down version of an old school RPG, the setting and some neat art assets are its only grace.
There are games more deserving of attention on sale on Steam right now.

The editor was a Kickstarter stretch goal and using "There will be good fan-made modules later on" as a selling point is strange. People accepting that and buying the game based on that is even stranger.