Wayne Brady Parties with Wii Party U in Nintendo Ads

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
Wayne Brady Parties with Wii Party U in Nintendo Ads

<youtube=D1z8oAwAcII>​
Wayne Brady plays a protective father and lover of Wii Party U in a series of Nintendo advertisements.

Best known from the improv comedy TV show Whose Line Is It Anyway?, Wayne Brady is featured in three Nintendo advertisements for the company uploaded on YouTube today.

The first video (shown to the right) opens with two children playing a baseball game on Wii Party U with the GamePad. After what Brady believes is suspicious talk of "first base," Brady jumps in as an overprotective father just to hang out with his daughter's friend to play foosball, leaving his daughter to give him the "Really, Dad?" look.

Wayne Brady's character in the second video [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkV8Gm5pz80] is obsessed with Wii Party U, inviting a friend over to his "mancave" to play the game throughout the night. Brady doesn't take those games lightly, and the two set off for the rest of the night trying to beat each other in various minigames. By the next morning, his friend has quit his job and moves in with Brady. Take heed: Wayne Brady and Nintendo want to get you addicted to minigames.

In the third [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4g5BqmWp7aI], Brady raps "Wii Party U (What We Do)" in homage to the way the game brings families together. The rap addresses button mashing, some specific minigames, and how the game made the other family less "corny." It's not at the same level of the improv songs in Whose Line Is It Anyway?, but it looks like Wayne Brady and some of the actors had a fun time with it.

Now if we only could film the Whose Line cast playing games against each other...

Source: YouTube [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1z8oAwAcII]

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
That was weird, he had to carry the entire commercial by himself, those kids better get their shit together if they plan on doing more commercials

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
That was pretty funny.

The little kid started to pick up the acting at the end.

The girl though...yeah. She needs to be more enthused.

Shinsei-J

Prunus Girl is best girl!
Apr 28, 2011
Ok that second one was fantastic.
Other two were great too but that second one was just too good.

If this doesn't move consoles I don't know what would.

The Apple BOOM

Nov 16, 2012
Maiev Shadowsong said:
Well, I just lost a lot of the respect I had for the guy. Marketing and advertising is despicable, especially when an already wealthy person bends over for some gross mega business like Nintendo.

Take it away, Bill!

By the way, if anyone here is in advertising or marketing, kill yourself. Thank you, thank you. Just a little thought. I'm just trying to plant seeds. Maybe one day they'll take root. I don't know. You try. You do what you can. Kill yourselves. Seriously though, if you are, do. No really, there's no rationalization for what you do, and you are Satan's little helpers, OK? Kill yourselves, seriously. You're the destroyer of all things good. Seriously, no, this is not a joke. "There's going to be a joke coming..." There's no fucking joke coming, you are Satan's spawn, filling the world with bile and garbage, you are fucked and you are fucking us, kill yourselves, it's the only way to save your fucking soul. Kill yourself, kill yourself, kill yourself now. Now, back to the show.
Here's the deal, folks. You do a commercial - you're off the artistic roll call, forever. End of story. Okay? You're another whore at the capitalist gang bang and if you do a commercial, there's a price on your head. Everything you say is suspect and every word that comes out of your mouth is now like a turd falling into my drink.
The despicable thing is that quote. Advertising is a part of our culture that can be exploitative, but without it, most of us are grossly uninformed. Even more so than most already are.

McMarbles

May 7, 2009
Maiev Shadowsong said:
Well, I just lost a lot of the respect I had for the guy. Marketing and advertising is despicable, especially when an already wealthy person bends over for some gross mega business like Nintendo.

Take it away, Bill!

By the way, if anyone here is in advertising or marketing, kill yourself. Thank you, thank you. Just a little thought. I'm just trying to plant seeds. Maybe one day they'll take root. I don't know. You try. You do what you can. Kill yourselves. Seriously though, if you are, do. No really, there's no rationalization for what you do, and you are Satan's little helpers, OK? Kill yourselves, seriously. You're the destroyer of all things good. Seriously, no, this is not a joke. "There's going to be a joke coming..." There's no fucking joke coming, you are Satan's spawn, filling the world with bile and garbage, you are fucked and you are fucking us, kill yourselves, it's the only way to save your fucking soul. Kill yourself, kill yourself, kill yourself now. Now, back to the show.
Here's the deal, folks. You do a commercial - you're off the artistic roll call, forever. End of story. Okay? You're another whore at the capitalist gang bang and if you do a commercial, there's a price on your head. Everything you say is suspect and every word that comes out of your mouth is now like a turd falling into my drink.
So... he no longer has the moral high ground to host "Let's Make a Deal?"

zerragonoss

Oct 15, 2009
Maiev Shadowsong said:
Greedy, whorish parasites take deals to sell products they don't care about, for money they don't need, by a company that makes a living by lying and manipulating the gullible public.
Since when did Nintendo make a living by manipulating the gullible public I thought the did it by making things people enjoyed and wanted to buy. Their is also no prof that he does not care about the product. their may be many companies that do what you say but their are also companies that use people who care to sell products they believe in. Even if actor does not care you can think of them as advocates for those that do which does not seem immoral. also this site and may awesome ones like it could not work without adds. Their is nothing inherently wrong with trying to convince someone of something as long as its not something you personally disagree with.

FogHornG36

Jan 29, 2011
Is Wayne Brady gunna have to choke a *****?

Stuff like this makes me grone out loud, also, he just turned into black Robin Williams with his jokes.

McMarbles

May 7, 2009
Maiev Shadowsong said:
The Apple BOOM said:
Maiev Shadowsong said:

Take it away, Bill!

The despicable thing is that quote. Advertising is a part of our culture that can be exploitative, but without it, most of us are grossly uninformed. Even more so than most already are.
Greedy, whorish parasites take deals to sell products they don't care about, for money they don't need, by a company that makes a living by lying and manipulating the gullible public.
Do you even play video games? 'Cause you need to buy something for a corporation to play pretty much any of them.

zerragonoss

Oct 15, 2009
Maiev Shadowsong said:
If you accept money to have an opinion or sell your name like a brand, you're a corporate whore that needs to rethink their priorities in life and find a soul.
To bring this a little back on topic I disagree that that is what he is doing at all, he is not going "hi I am Wayne Brady and I love the Wii U". He is playing the role of a man who enjoys the product, exactly what his trade is playing a role.

Now he is not doing to further some artistic vision, but to act as an advocate for some one else. This may seem less Good but advocacy is foundational to most modern societies. Our elected officials are supposed to be advocates for us, as well as trying to improve the country as a whole. Lawyers are supposed to work for the best interest of their client, to the best of their abilities within the law, weather or not they believe in their client. This system is a set to equalize. If one possess, or can hire someone, with a talent in the field of persuasion they would have an undue influence over the system weather it be the law, the government or peoples purchasing decision.

It defiantly has its problems as it often just equalizes to money, but if it did not exist the person with the talent for manipulation could be selling that dirt for a hundred bucks. While the people who make the product we would actually enjoy would be drowned out by the hype. Sure an escalating hype war is not a perfect solution, but it is definitely better when the unscrupulous business types actually have to work with people who care about their product at some point. Which would not happen nearly as often if it just was the fancy well spoken actor, whose entire job is to give a compelling performance vs the man whose primary love and job is to create a product they believe in.

Sure in an ideal world the presentation of a message would not be important to selling products. It is though, and since it is it's better if the presentation of the messages are something that even the honest lovers of their product care about. This way message is not outshined by the cold manipulative types you're thinking of. Now as i alluded to earlier this often just results in the business type having the creative on staff but then at least they are no longer selling dirt, but a product. It may not be the best it can but it gets made and we know about it. Because of this it can be fine for an actor to sell his skills like any other craftsmen to those that need them.

TLDR: Actors advertising a product is a form of advocacy. advocacy is basically a type of specialization that helps equalize the manipulation that occurs when one message has much better presentation then the other.

Parnage

Apr 13, 2010
Maiev Shadowsong said:
The Apple BOOM said:
Maiev Shadowsong said:

Take it away, Bill!

When your opinion on advertising is formed from a stand up comic who hasn't been around for over 15 years, you can't be expected to be taken seriously. It's Wayne Brady. He was in a Clifford movie and Stuart Little 3, he's just an actor paying his bills. Don't get your Illidan printed underwear in a twist because he did something you dislike.

Eh the 2nd video was the best, but none of them where really "amazing"

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
Maiev Shadowsong said:
, by a company that makes a living by lying and manipulating the gullible public.
I don't know...you get what you expect out of Nintendo products. They were never really the lying type.
You sure you didn't mix them up with EA?