European Researchers Turn Water Into Fire

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
European Researchers Turn Water Into Fire

A team of European technomages have created a portable torch that's fueled by nothing but water.

I don't know much about science but I know magic when I see it, and this, I tells ya, is magic: SafeFlame, a portable torch that's fueled not by dangerously combustible liquids, but by water. "The water is split into hydrogen and oxygen gases and fed into a torch where a flame is produced, which can then be used for brazing or any other industrial application where flame is used," ITM Power research technologist Andrew Ellis explained. "So it's just using water to make a flame, basically."

Electrolyzer systems like this have been prohibitively expensive for most applications, owing to the high cost of the membranes and catalysts requiring platinum or other precious metals that they use. But Ellis said that expense has been reduced dramatically thanks to the effort of "a whole team of chemists" which has been working on new membrane formulations and finding cheaper catalyst materials.

The magical water-fire thingie requires electricity to operate, but the lack of pressurized acetylene means it's much safer and cheaper to use. The flame burns cooler than that of a conventional acetylene torch, making it both easier to handle and easier on the eyes, and the torch itself remains cool to the touch. It's also cleaner, producing only water when it burns.

The SafeFlame prototype is currently undergoing testing in the U.K., a realm well-known for its latent supernatural properties. More information about this most intriguing sorcery may be found at safeflameproject.eu [http://www.safeflameproject.eu/].

Source: Euronews [http://www.euronews.com/2013/10/28/fire-from-water/]

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
I'm not sure the UK is a nation, rather a United Kingdom of nations.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
I tells ya, man. There was a patent on a car that burnt water for fuel. But Big Oil silenced that fearing what would happen if that car was produced. It would have killed their profits. It's true, man. I swear.

Ahem, pardon me.

This sounds cool. Though, water is already a rather scarce resource, I'm not certain that using it like this is really that feasible when plenty of communities do have concerns with water conservation. My own state was having a bit of a Water War with a few other states over concerns of a reservoir that is located within the state, for just such a reason.

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
Saltyk said:
I tells ya, man. There was a patent on a car that burnt water for fuel. But Big Oil silenced that fearing what would happen if that car was produced. It would have killed their profits. It's true, man. I swear.

Ahem, pardon me.

This sounds cool. Though, water is already a rather scarce resource, I'm not certain that using it like this is really that feasible when plenty of communities do have concerns with water conservation. My own state was having a bit of a Water War with a few other states over concerns of a reservoir that is located within the state, for just such a reason.
Hydrogen power vehicles are already produced. However the cheapest source of hydrogen comes from Hydrocarbons aka crude oil. Removing Hydrogen from water is more expensive and if you watch the video, that where the electricity comes in.

kajinking

Aug 12, 2009
So someone from the UK managed to turn water into fire?

Does this thing have a little sticker reading "MADE IN HOGWARTS" on it?

snekadid

Lord of the Salt
Mar 29, 2012
Chaosritter said:
Saltyk said:
I guess this thing would work with water that's below drinking water quality as well.

There's plenty of water. Drinking water however is a different story.
I doubt you would be able to use overly polluted water as it would probably damage the device, but if someone could finally figure out a cost effective use for salt water we would all be very grateful considering it covers most of this damn rock.

EMWISE94

Aug 22, 2013
Turning water into fire? What alchemy be this!?
On a serious note, that sounds kinda cool.

Now I must harness said technology and set fire to all the public pools!

Maze1125

Oct 14, 2008
Basically this is just a way of converting electrical energy into a flame. Certainly clever, but not the same as turning water into a flame as, from the water's perspective, all that's happened is that the water got taken apart and then put back together.

Evil Smurf said:
I'm not sure the UK is a nation, rather a United Kingdom of nations.
Actually, both can be considered to be true. There's nothing that says one nation cannot be a combination of other nations.

Blue_vision

Elite Member
Mar 31, 2009
snekadid said:
Chaosritter said:
Saltyk said:
I guess this thing would work with water that's below drinking water quality as well.

There's plenty of water. Drinking water however is a different story.
I doubt you would be able to use overly polluted water as it would probably damage the device, but if someone could finally figure out a cost effective use for salt water we would all be very grateful considering it covers most of this damn rock.
Probably not. The salt in the water will interfere with the catalysts.

I'm just going to point out that there's nothing particularly prohibitive about this technology. The water that they'd be using in this would be a tiny amount, nothing compared to the amount of water used for agriculture or human consumption. And the electricity being used for the device will displace the energy that needs to come from hydrocarbons to create the acetylene gas used in conventional welding torches. It'll probably net out a little cheaper once the technology's matured, as hydrogen gas is a lot more convenient and a lot easier to handle than acetylene, as they said in the video.

I'm more excited in seeing what other applications their research could have. Cheap, high-performance water electrolysis could be really useful in other sectors of the economy *coughtransportationcough*

Daaaah Whoosh

Jun 23, 2010
So, there isn't some other compound that can be combined to produce flame, but is harmless otherwise? Just water? That seems really unlikely, and ironic. Either way, this is awesome.

Insomniac55

Dec 6, 2008
These things have been around for ages (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxyhydrogen#Water_torch) and electrolysis of water is NOTHING new. Water is not a fuel or an energy source, it's just a convenient way of generating combustible gas and oxygen, given another power source.

So yeah, unlike those people claiming to make devices that 'run on water', this device is legitimate. It 'runs on' electricity, however. No energy being produced here.

People just love to use the term 'runs on water', which ends up misleading a whole lot of people.

JarinArenos

Jan 31, 2012
Insomniac55 said:
These things have been around for ages (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxyhydrogen#Water_torch) and electrolysis of water is NOTHING new. Water is not a fuel or an energy source, it's just a convenient way of generating combustible gas and oxygen, given another power source.

So yeah, unlike those people claiming to make devices that 'run on water', this device is legitimate. It 'runs on' electricity, however. No energy being produced here.

People just love to use the term 'runs on water', which ends up misleading a whole lot of people.
The real breakthrough is making the electrolysis device less absurdly expensive. So yeah, some claims are silly, but this is still a pretty impressive breakthrough.

Xdeser2

Aug 11, 2012
I'm pretty sure natural gas companies did this first with Fracking

Honestly, this is pretty cool IMO, and the fact that it doesn't use dangerous chemicals means that this could have some pretty interesting ramifications through other fields (Granted if it could be affordable/practical enough to use)

truckspond

Oct 26, 2013
So you put water in it and the resulting flame produces water...

Basically a more portable version of a Space Shuttle Main Engine really