Borderlands 2 Loots Way to 2K Sales Record

BlameTheWizards

Jun 1, 2009
Borderlands 2 Loots Way to 2K Sales Record

And if you still haven't gotten enough of adventuring on Pandora, a new DLC pack is due out in November.

People love games that let them shoot things and people love games where they get more stuff. So, how many units do you think a game that combines the two would sell? If your guess was 7.5 million, congrats, you have an eerily-specific market sense, or maybe just pay attention to headlines.

The game has done so well that it's currently on track to becoming the highest-selling title in publisher 2K's history, according to company president Karl Slatoff. It's some impressive results for an impressive game, and 2K's parent company Take-Two Interactive must be very happy considering this year also saw Take-Two's release of Grand Theft Auto V, otherwise known as <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/128014-Grand-Theft-Auto-V-Breaks-1-Billion-In-Three-Days> the fastest-selling entertainment property in history.

And for those who still haven't had their fill of the shooting-alien-fauna-until-guns-explode-out-of-them genre, the next part of the game's newest DLC series will arrive in November. Titled Headhunter 2: Wattle Gobbler because, well it's Borderlands, it's the second of three planned "Headhunter" packs, each costing about $3 each. The first part of the pack, TK Baha's Blood Harvest went <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/128753-Borderlands-2-Gets-New-TK-Bahas-Bloody-Harvest-DLC-October-22>on sale Oct. 22.

Source: Joystiq

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Publisher makes profit,
Industry baffled.

Also at this point Borderlands 2 isnt getting any marketing support from 2K. Its being sold on word-of-mouth alone.

Imre Csete

Original Character, Do Not Steal
Jul 8, 2010
C'mon, give us the Moonbase assault!

Or remove the tease from Tiny Tina's ending. >.>

Dirge Eterna

Apr 13, 2013
I am really looking forward to the new DLC's. I have over 300 hours of playtime according to Steam. I also have about 120 golden keys that I have been saving up on for the new DLC.

nightmare_gorilla

Jan 22, 2008
Imre Csete said:
C'mon, give us the Moonbase assault!

Or remove the tease from Tiny Tina's ending. >.>
they announced at community day the moonbase assault is in production as we speak. I was there dressed as mr. torgue if you youtube it. they also told me they are working on more dlc which will feature a lot of mr. torgue who is possibly my favorite character in all of borderlands. here's hoping he and moxxi build a new underdome.

praetor_alpha

LOL, Canada!
Mar 4, 2010
I'm still too busy with that loot hunt sweepstakes to care. It's great that Borderlands 2 has been so good; I hope that it won't be sequelized to death like COD.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
praetor_alpha said:
I'm still too busy with that loot hunt sweepstakes to care. It's great that Borderlands 2 has been so good; I hope that it won't be sequelized to death like COD.
Hell, I'd be OK with that if they keep bringing the quality. The humor and overall writing is rather intelligent, all things considered. COD gets the flak it does because it's never that much more deep than "hurp durp, kill badguys because they blew up the two towers" and "America! Fuck Yeah!" all the time. When it does dip away from those tropes, it never seems to be the motivation for the player to keep playing, just backstory to be ignored.

praetor_alpha

LOL, Canada!
Mar 4, 2010
Signa said:
praetor_alpha said:
Hell, I'd be OK with that if they keep bringing the quality. The humor and overall writing is rather intelligent, all things considered. COD gets the flak it does because it's never that much more deep than "hurp durp, kill badguys because they blew up the two towers" and "America! Fuck Yeah!" all the time. When it does dip away from those tropes, it never seems to be the motivation for the player to keep playing, just backstory to be ignored.
True.

I've noticed lately that I've been liking games the display unique attitudes, like Borderlands, Blood Dragon, and Stanley Parable. If they can keep up the quality, then "Fuck Yeah!" That probably precludes them from doing it yearly, allowing everyone to soak it all in.