Clockwork Empires: A Steampunk Descent Into Colonial Cthulhu

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Clockwork Empires: A Steampunk Descent Into Colonial Cthulhu

Clockwork Empires, the steampunk sandbox colony-building game with a Lovecraftian twist, is coming next spring.

We first heard about Gaslamp Games' Clockwork Empires more than a year ago [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/119307-Clockwork-Empires-Brings-Steampunk-Elder-Gods-to-Your-Colony], when it was described as sort of a steampunk Dwarf Fortress for the masses, with a healthy dose of Lovecraft thrown in just for kicks. Now, finally, it's time for a closer look.

The game has players take on the role of a Junior Bureaucrat (Colonial Grade) in a "marvelously handcrafted steampunk dystopia," who's dispatched to establish colonies for the benefit of the Empire. It's a tough business, but promotions, fame and wealth await those who can get the job done; alas, Science and Progress and all that tomfoolery has a way of getting out of hand. And by "getting out of hand," I mean "bringing about the rise of Lovecraft-style horrors who sow destruction and misery amongst the populace."

Not that such things are necessarily bad for your career, however. "The player is essentially an architect of a society that's gone a bit off the rails in an industrial revolution," Gaslamp Games CEO and Clockwork Empires Lead Producer Daniel Jacobsen explained. "The uniqueness of building this world inside the Empire is the ability of the player to do what they want, including the freedom to fail: We've given characters an incredibly intricate set of tools allowing them to construct a world and unleash cosmic horrors in vast, complex ways."

Jacobsen also implied that no matter what players do, the colonies are destined to go to hell in one way or another. "The player is left with their own choices for his or her characters - there are rewards and consequences for each action," he continued. "Eventually it unravels into a remarkably entertaining character-driven cataclysm filled with incredibly horrifying-yet-delightful possibilities - death, disease, prosperity, science and more - without a true victory condition."

[gallery=1855]

Along with the standard single-player campaign, Clockwork Empires will also offer multiplayer for up to four bureaucrats as well as a "turn-based 'round robin successive multiplayer saved-game file" option. "The outcomes can vary so greatly it was important to design the game to be as shareable as possible," explained lead programmer and Gaslamp CTO Nicholas Vining. "From building to strategizing, exploring and the emergent player-to-player shared content, no two games will be alike."

It all looks and sounds very cool, but hey, I was sold at "character-driven cataclysm." For those who still need convincing, these screens and teaser should help, and Gaslamp has also been nice enough to open up a very informative Clockwork Empires website at - you guessed it - clockworkempires.com [http://www.clockworkempires.com/].

Muspelheim

Apr 7, 2011
Now, this... This looks bloody delightful. And it's always nice to see Dwarf Fortress excerting influence on the industry.

May Armok have mercy upon our drunken, terribly incompetent souls...

Benpasko

Jul 3, 2011
Call me cynical, but this seems like the most shameless attempt to tap into what's cool on the internet that I've seen in a bit. Steampunk Cthulhu Dwarf Fortress sounds like the kind of thing you get by stringing together nerd buzzwords. Now it just needs socially awkward zombies and it'll have the full package.

Muspelheim

Apr 7, 2011
Benpasko said:
Call me cynical, but this seems like the most shameless attempt to tap into what's cool on the internet that I've seen in a bit. Steampunk Cthulhu Dwarf Fortress sounds like the kind of thing you get by stringing together nerd buzzwords. Now it just needs socially awkward zombies and it'll have the full package.
At least it doesn't seem to feature children (or representations of) losing their innocence in a dark, bleak world. That would have pushed it past the event horizon and the rest of the internet would collapse together into a yawning pit.

Benpasko

Jul 3, 2011
Muspelheim said:
Benpasko said:
At least it doesn't seem to feature children (or representations of) losing their innocence in a dark, bleak world. That would have pushed it past the event horizon and the rest of the internet would collapse together into a yawning pit.
It's set in a lovecraftian industrial revolution, children losing their innocence to a bleak world is what those settings are all about. And I think my shoe just fell into the internet hole.

Muspelheim

Apr 7, 2011
Benpasko said:
Muspelheim said:
Benpasko said:
It's set in a lovecraftian industrial revolution, children losing their innocence to a bleak world is what those settings are all about. And I think my shoe just fell into the internet hole.
Hmm, that's true... Oh, bloody hell, someone get the webcomics to safety! Wait, actually, leave them... We'll reboot the good ones.

Now, thankfully, the innocence losing is at least evenly spread, and not the main "relatable" fixing point. That might give us enough time to build a guard rail at least.

New Frontiersman

Feb 2, 2010
I have to admit I tend to find that games that take place during colonial times tend to gloss over how horrible colonialism truly was, they trivialize or ignore outright the horrors and atrocities that were inflicted upon so many people who were enslaved and slaughtered for their land and resources. The horrific effects of colonialism still resonate in many parts of the world today as do the poverty and strife that it caused; and much of modern media, games included, just ignores that.

As for this game specifically it just seems to ignore the people entirely, as though colonialism was just taking unoccupied land, ignoring the conquest, slaughter, and slavery that went hand in hand with colonialism as though the victims didn't exist. Beyond just the ignoring of the horrors of colonialism, doesn't seem that interesting to me. I prefer grand strategy games to these smaller scale ones. I'm not that interested in Cthulhu, Lovecraft or horror in general really. Steampunk is kinda cool, but I don't think it's applied in a way that will interest me.

I suppose my post isn't entirely off topic, but this is kind of a pet peeve of mine.

Jamous

Apr 14, 2009
Looks fucking excellent now where the fuck do I sign up? Seriously though; this looks like it could be barrels of laughs.

Rainforce

Apr 20, 2009
MinionJoe said:
Go to their website and scroll all the way to the bottom. I've never seen an animated, multi-layer effect quite like that on the web. Very nicely done. Definitely bookmarking this for future updates.
I checked, it's some new CSS feature that allows for animations. Pretty nice. AS IS THE GAME.

keiji_Maeda

May 9, 2012
Benpasko said:
No...you definetly need a "nipslip" or "Nude scandal" to reach a wider demographic ;)