Dell Admits That Latitude Laptops Smell Like Cat Pee

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Dell Admits That Latitude Laptops Smell Like Cat Pee

You can tell by the smell that your Dell isn't well.

I've worked in retail long enough to say with confidence that when a customer comes to you with some impossibly ridiculous complaint, 99 times out of 100 they're either making it up to cover something they've done, or they're nuts. And that's probably what Dell technicians thought back in June, when an owner of a new Latitude 6430u laptop reported that "it smells as if it was assembled near a tomcat's litter box."

But then other people started reporting the same thing. By mid-August, Dell Senior Technical Consultant "SteveB" got involved, saying the company hoped to have a fix shortly; but as August rolled into September it became clear that the situation was trickier than anyone expected. Customer units were sent to vendors for analysis, and while SteveB said on September 12 that "a biological contaminate/health hazard is not suspected," the cause remained a mystery.

Amazingly, it took until today for Dell to come up with a fix for the problem. The company confirmed that the odor is not the result of biological contamination and poses no health hazard; it was simply a problem with the manufacturing process of the palm rest assembly, which has since been fixed. The specific cause of the smell wasn't revealed, although SteveB tweeted that he hopes to post all the details in the Dell forums either this week or next.
[tweet t=https://twitter.com/SteveBatDell/statuses/395353403766747136]
That's not good enough for at least one owner, however, who's none too happy with Dell for causing him to yell at his cat and spend considerable bucks on "countless veterinarian bills" trying to figure out why his feline friend suddenly insisted on peeing on the computer. "Do you know what my wife and I went through because of this? How terrible we feel because we scolded a cat that did nothing wrong?" he wrote. "Turns out Jerry is as good as always, and I want Dell held accountable for this misery."

Dell customers who have computers that smell like pee, and who have confirmed that they have in fact not been peed upon, may avail themselves of support options at dell.com [http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19512174.aspx?pi239031352=1].

Source: Dell [http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19512174.aspx?pi239031352=1]

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
Well then... that's pretty high on the weird news list. I don't imagine it'll be easy to de-scent the laptops if the smell is coming from within it especially considering that opening the laptop will likely void Dell's warrenty.

Maze1125

Oct 14, 2008
MinionJoe said:
Not Dell's fault the cat owner couldn't tell the difference between the smell of feline urine and what is likely an ammonia-based cleaner used in the manufacturing process of consumer electronics.
"It's not Dell's fault that he can't tell the difference between the smell of urine and the smell of something that smells like urine!!!"

Well, no, that would be reality's fault...
What's Dell's fault is the fact that it smells like urine in the first place.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
MinionJoe said:
Not Dell's fault the cat owner couldn't tell the difference between the smell of feline urine and what is likely an ammonia-based cleaner used in the manufacturing process of consumer electronics. Rather impressed Dell took ownership of the problem and are working with customers to correct it.
You can tell the difference between the smell of urine and ammonia? I think you might be gifted.

I have good experience with Dell when it comes to warranty. They tend not to treat the customer like a fraud, and do their best to fix the problem, even if it means replacing an expensive part.

FinalDream

[Insert Witty Remark Here]
Apr 6, 2010
Ha! This made me laugh out loud, what a funny situation, computers that smell like pee!

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Been a rough, long day for me...it's nice to come home and read an article like this for a good laugh. Thanks for posting it.

matrix3509

Sep 24, 2008
Welcome to #FirstWorldProblems, where taking your cat to the vet and scolding it for (not really) peeing on your laptop is considered misery.

r0seyp0m

Oct 11, 2012
matrix3509 said:
Welcome to #FirstWorldProblems, where taking your cat to the vet and scolding it for (not really) peeing on your laptop is considered misery.
Vet bills can be quite pricey and he just wasted all that money. Not saying he wasn't overreacting just a tad, but we don't all live comfortably in terms of income, so that can be misery.

Furism

Sep 10, 2009
Like somebody on Slashdot said: "Runs like s**t, smells like p**s. It's a Dell computer alright."

Aggieknight

Dec 6, 2009
matrix3509 said:
You must be a pet lover at heart.

Discovering that you have been punishing something that loves you unconditionally and looks at you with absolute trust and adoration in its eyes for something it didn't do? For months?

That being said, cat pee would leave a sticky liquid residue on the notebook that should be easy to identify. In lieu of that, if one had half a brain cell, one would have to assume that it was merely the smell of cat urine rather than the presence of it.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
nice of Dell to take ownership of the problem, i can see how PR disaster this could turn into. but that one owner certainly overreacted. taking your cat to vet because you think he peed where he shouldnt? seriuosly?

ALso peopel should get on with the fact that new electroics do have specific smells. thats just manufacturing. uit does not happen in vacuum.