Sony Unveils PlayStation 4 Launch Title Lineup

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Sony Unveils PlayStation 4 Launch Title Lineup

If you're picking up a PlayStation 4 on launch day, these are the games you'll be able to take home with it.

The PlayStation 4 is coming on November 15, which is good news if you like that sort of thing, but what good is a PlayStation 4 without some PlayStation 4 games? Fortunately, there will be a few of those kicking around on November 15, too. Specifically, these:

Sony Computer Entertainment WorldWide Studios Titles:

Flower
Killzone: Shadow Fall
Knack
Resogun
Sound Shapes

Third-Party Titles

Angry Birds Star Wars - Activision
Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag - Ubisoft
Call of Duty: Ghosts - Activision
DC Universe Online - Sony Online Entertainment
FIFA 14 - EA Sports
Battlefield 4 - Electronic Arts
Just Dance 2014 - Ubisoft
Injustice: Gods Among Us Ultimate Edition - WBIE
Lego Marvel Superheroes - WBIE
Madden NFL 25 - EA Sports
NBA 2K14 - 2K Sports
Skylanders SWAP Force - Activision

Indie Titles

Contrast - Compulsion Games
Pinball Arcade - FarSight Studios
Super Motherload - XGen Studios
Tiny Brains - Spearhead Games
Warframe - Digital Extremes

All of the games on the list will be out "on or by November 15," which seems like a rather odd hair to split - perhaps it's because Killzone: Shadow Fall has actually already been turned loose [http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=705808] to some gamers. Sony also noted that the list is subject to change, and will be updated as necessary right up to launch date.

Source: PlayStation Blog [http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/10/30/ps4-the-ultimate-faq-north-america/#sect2]

Josh123914

They'll fix it by "Monday"
Nov 17, 2009
well, 22 is ok, but I never pick up consoles at launch.
At least it beat the WiiU's games @ launch number (17 was it?)

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Lego Marvel and AC4 for me. Not a mindblowing line up, but it's pretty diverse and there should be a lot of quality there.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
How awkward, buying a ps4 on launch but every game holds 0 interest to me. Okay, shadow fall is the most interesting and others I'm curious about 'cos I've not heard of them (wtf is resogun?) but on the whole, pretty pathetic.

Also flower? DCUO? Not launch games are they, they are just re-releases.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Josh12345 said:
At least it beat the WiiU's games @ launch number (17 was it?)
Yessir, we got seventeen games on launch day, count'em!
Alright, how many aren't shovelware?
Eeerrhhh... oh..um.. seventeen games we got on launch day, count'em!

This line up underlines the need for third parties in this generation, of the six I'd expect to be best sellers, five are from EA, Ubisoft or Activision. No wonder Nintendo ballsed it up.

As a side note, no Planetside 2?

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
omega 616 said:
How awkward, buying a ps4 on launch but every game holds 0 interest to me. Okay, shadow fall is the most interesting and others I'm curious about 'cos I've not heard of them (wtf is resogun?) but on the whole, pretty pathetic.

Also flower? DCUO? Not launch games are they, they are just re-releases.
I'll admit that none of the launch titles are games that I feel really excited about. Honestly, I'm picking it up for Infamous 3 and Destiny and maybe to play Killzone or Battlefield 4 online with friends. Of course, there are other titles down the line, like The Order, which may interest me as well. The main reason I'll be picking it up on launch day is that I was able to preorder and put $20 down each week. Much easier to pay it off slowly over a period of months, than have to fork out $400 all at once.

Still, I'm excited for what is to come and I look forward to getting my new console. After paying off the last $27 of my balance, I'll be looking into which launch title to pick up, next weekend.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Not one of those looks like its worth playing. Really disappointing line up. I mean, I get that they are sequels to alot of current games, but in this industry...

Games are very samey already! How about something new!

FinalDream

[Insert Witty Remark Here]
Apr 6, 2010
I still can't decide between BF4 and COD, I'm leaning towards the insane 64 player destructive mayhem of BF4 but COD has that good fast paced, twitchy, gameplay. Plus the single player might not suck like BF4. I might wait for the review on COD before choosing (Killzone is bundled in the box before anyone asks).

godofallu

Jun 8, 2010
All of these titles are pretty underwhelming. Especially if you play FPS games on PC.

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
Pinball Arcade?! Awesome. Now I can play Star Trek: TNG pinball on a £350 console!

There's nothing much on there that really sells me on a PS4 that I can't get elsewhere. If i do get a new console it'll likely be later down the line.

Daaaah Whoosh

Jun 23, 2010
Dude, it's SUPER MOTHERLOAD! I loved the original, I played it over six years ago and I still have fond memories of digging down into hell and then killing the devil.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
Saltyk said:
True, it's what I am excited about.

I just meant its awkward to put down a serious bit of cash, scurry home, set it up, then play some game that you're only half heartedly hyped about. I mean my triggers were tingling to play watch dogs but we all know what happened there.... Never really realized till now, without watch dogs the launch line up is a little, flacid.

sushkis2

Apr 14, 2011
So... nobody excited about Knack?

Speaking of excitement, if Sony thought this list was supposed to excite anybody, why on earth would they think putting angry birds up in there was such a good idea?

For some reason, I'm most excited about the fact that Super Motherload is actually a thing, I remember spending many hours on that game when it came out on newgrounds or wherever else.

This is the thing about this kind of games, they fly completely under the radar, because the launch lineup is supposed to be bringing out the big guns like screed or the other spunkgargleweewees, and looks like this time, Ubisoft and those Driveclub guys dicked Sony over by delaying Watch dogs and the latter. So we are left with nothing but more time to contemplate on how not to waste that money we kept for Watch dogs, or whatever else they delay, on chocolates and beer (for me at least :D)

For those of you interested, I did some research on those lesser known titles:

Resogun looks like a standart shmup
Sound shapes is a 2d rhythm platformer kind of like super meat boy, only a lot easier
Contrast looks fun, it's a 3d puzzle platformer, much like that lost in the shadows thing on the wii
And Tiny brains looks like a Raving rabbids 4 player coop party game sort of affair.

The other ones looked pretty self explanatory to me.

Midniqht

Beer Quaffer
Jul 10, 2009
That list looks utterly disappointing. They may be able to get people to buy their console, but the games certainly don't seem to be the reason.

Mirrorknight

Jul 23, 2009
"Oh, hey. The reason that there's no new IPs or ideas is because this generation is dying, and the current gen doesn't have enough power to make people's ideas work. Once the next gen systems come out, we'll be up to our necks in original, innovative games!"

...and what do we get on launch day?

Ports and sequels.

Thanks game industry.

LysanderNemoinis

Noble and oppressed Kekistani
Nov 8, 2010
I actually have zero interest in all the games in the lineup as Contrast is going to be released on the PS3, and I'll be getting it for that. But then, I doubt I'll be buying it at launch, even though I know I definitely want one. When I got the PS3 for Christmas one year, the only games I had were MotorStorm that came with the system (bleh), Heavenly Sword, and The Godfather, and that was good enough for me. I look at a console's potential, not it's launch lineup. Oh, and how many Resident Evil games it's getting (and how many are exclusive). Yes, yes, go on and berate me for saying it, but it's the only reason I got a GameCube, and I'll defend that little wonderful bastard to my dying breath.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
omega 616 said:
Saltyk said:
True, it's what I am excited about.

I just meant its awkward to put down a serious bit of cash, scurry home, set it up, then play some game that you're only half heartedly hyped about. I mean my triggers were tingling to play watch dogs but we all know what happened there.... Never really realized till now, without watch dogs the launch line up is a little, flacid.
Yeah, but I'm more excited for what comes out down the line. I think they said there will be about 100 titles on the PS4 within the first year. There's got to be some titles worth getting.

I am a little disappointed that Drive Club was delayed. I'm not a racing gamer, but it was supposed to be free with PS+ and free is in my ballpark. I would happily download that and probably get some fun out of it. Might even pay to get all the cars and such, too, if it really impressed me and the price was reasonable.

I know what you mean, though. But I'll make the most of it. One decent game should be able to hold me off till the ones I really want hit the ground.

sushkis2 said:
So... nobody excited about Knack?
Knack makes me think of Crash Bandicoot and such games. I'm interested, but part of me screams that Knack will be a PS+ game within a year. And I'm willing to pick it up then rather than now. Plus, I kinda think it will be short and can't rationalize paying $60 on a game that may only give me 10 hours of gameplay. I'd rather buy one with online multiplayer that I can get hundreds of hours out of, if I'm only getting one game.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
I've got Ac4 and Kz already ordered to pick up with my console. Think I'll grab Knack too. Sadly Watch Dogs is Mia for awhile, but these will keep me happy till then.

sethisjimmy

May 22, 2009
Wow, meager offerings. No killer app as of yet I guess. Almost makes you wish it could support the ps3's massive library until more games come out, wink wink, nudge nudge.