Titanfall Won't Require Windows 8 to Run

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Titanfall Won't Require Windows 8 to Run

Respawn also confirmed that the PC version of Titanfall will ship on the same day as the Xbox versions.

Microsoft may be trying its best to make folks think that Respawn Entertainment's upcoming Mecha shooter Titanfall is an Xbox exclusive, but it's actually coming to the PC as well. With the big news that the game would be exclusive to Microsoft platforms Rock, Paper, Shotgun [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/129140-Titanfall-Will-Not-Be-Released-On-PlayStation-4] got in touch with Respawn to check up on the PC version of the game. Thankfully, Respawn's Abbie Heppe says that the console shakeup will not effect the game's Windows version.

She confirmed that it would ship at the exact same date as the Xbox 360 and Xbox One versions (March 11, 2014) and that it would not require Windows 8 to run. She wrote: "Titanfall is releasing simultaneously for XB1, 360, and PC. It does not require Windows 8 on PC." It looks like Microsoft has learned its lesson about trying to tie flagship PC titles into its latest operating system.

So PC fans can breathe easy, as opposed to our Sony brethren, who will only ever see a Titanfall release if Respawn churns out a sequel (that isn't also snapped up in an exclusivity deal with Microsoft).

What platform were you planning on buying Titanfall on? I'm giving the next-gen consoles a "wait and see" approach, so I will most likely be picking up the PC version of this one.

Source: Rock, Paper, Shotgun [http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/10/30/titanfall-pc-release-same-as-xbox-no-windows-8/]

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
While i dont intend to get this (as i assume its on origin due to its EA status) this is good news. Very few gamers have upgraded to Windows 8 and most others want to avoid it like the plague.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Huzzah!

I wasn't hoing to get it (multiplayer only and published by EA? Pass) but thhis is good news.

I guess MS remembered the flop that was Halo 2, Vista only release. (Having GFWL didn't help either).

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
Now I just need to know if it's going to use Punkbuster. I really hope not, I'd rather not buy a £430 Titanfall machine :/

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
In other news developer does not decide to design for an exclusive system that is currently only used on mobile devices and by PC masochists.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Well the PC version obviously, there's no way in hell I'm getting a Xbox One in the near future (and not due to finance, I don't trust Microsoft). Maybe in 5-7 years when they have proven they wont turn their 180 into a 360 I might buy it cheap, possibly, but until then I wont be supporting a company that tried to pull the crap they did. Besides between current gen, PS4 and PC if a game isn't available to me then it wouldn't be worth playing anyway.

Apr 5, 2008
It looks like Microsoft has learned its lesson about trying to tie flagship PC titles into its latest operating system.
Could someone explain this please? I'm implying that a flagship title was previously tied to a specific OS, but no idea which, what or when.

IF I get it, it will be for PC. Given the choice, why the heck would anyone choose to play a shooter on a controller instead of with KB/Mouse? Also, not getting a next gen console on release because a) I don't do queues, b) they're too expensive and c) I don't use a console that often and there's no compelling reason to have one on day 1. Well, I suppose traditionally earlier hardware models of particular consoles have been more "moddable" because people discover loopholes and exploits that are closed in later revisions. Maybe it's worth getting one on day 1 for that reason alone. Homebrew will be interesting on the next gen with the power they'll have.

Also, haven't decided which of the two next gen consoles I'll get (two because Wii U doesn't count). The kinect/advertising shenanigans isn't a point in XBone's favour and I won't spend any money on XBLive since MS let thieves steal £150 of my money.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
Steven Bogos said:
What platform were you planning on buying Titanfall on? I'm giving the next-gen consoles a "wait and see" approach, so I will most likely be picking up the PC version of this one.
Exactly the same as me.

Or else if the Piston and/or SteamBox turn out be a good replacement for a PC, I might get one of those instead. Although I do wonder with the SteamOS what this will mean for non-Steam games.

Caiphus

Social Office Corridor
Mar 31, 2010
I'm the only person in my household who has windows 8. It's actually not bad. But we have fairly new computers (most bought within the last 2-3 years). So I can't imagine we aren't fairly representative of the population at large.

That said, I don't think anyone in my house is getting titanfall, so..

TomWiley

Jul 20, 2012
spartandude said:
While i dont intend to get this (as i assume its on origin due to its EA status) this is good news. Very few gamers have upgraded to Windows 8 and most others want to avoid it like the plague.
Which kind of confuses me, seeing as it's great for gaming. Much lighter and faster, better direct X support, NT kernel is optimized for multicore threading, requires less memory. All around a better option for gamers.

Arawn

Dec 18, 2003
Is it true that TitanFall doesn't have a single player mode? It's just all online and you can co-op story missions? If so then I guess I'm really not getting this game at all even for PC. Maybe I'll play it on a friend's system first.

holyshaman

May 19, 2013
TomWiley said:
spartandude said:
Which kind of confuses me, seeing as it's great for gaming. Much lighter and faster, better direct X support, NT kernel is optimized for multicore threading, requires less memory. All around a better option for gamers.
it is faster but more dumb and forstrating to use most because it was made for tablets and is not great for multitasking. personly i would use 2 screens for window 8.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
KingsGambit said:
It looks like Microsoft has learned its lesson about trying to tie flagship PC titles into its latest operating system.
Could someone explain this please? I'm implying that a flagship title was previously tied to a specific OS, but no idea which, what or when.
The PC port of Halo 2 was a Vista only release, naturally a few weeks afterwards someone made an unofficial patch to enable XP users to play.

I do believe this was the point where MS wanted to create a Xbox Gold style pass for online multiplayer for PC as well.

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
TomWiley said:
spartandude said:
for me the reason is (as well as most poeple i know) because we have had a terrible time trying to get it to run anything that isnt a windows 8 game.
On my computer i have plenty of old games for XP and older OSs and so have my friends. When a couple upgraded to windows 8 they could just not get these older games to work at all, if the Specs didnt spefically say Windows 8 they couldnt play them. Now i know others have had no problems but when everyone i know has and alot of others on the internet say the same thing it makes me skeptical about upgrading.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
So, six years after the epic disaster that was the Halo 2 PC release Microsoft have finally comes to the conclusion that arbitrarily adding code to prevent a product working on anything but the favoured operating system might not be a good idea.

Well it's something I suppose.

Lets hope they don't try for a Windows Live Gold subscription again, although that has to rank as the most hilarious marketing bollocks up in gaming history.

Oh hay, we're releasing onto the PC platform, the competition's nothing special, EA's apparently a Battlefield in Crysis and those guys from Seattle are just going release some Orange Box, they won't even say what's in it! Activision's even abandoning the World War 2 genre, things must be bad.

So, by extension, we can do whatever we want! Halo 2 sold millions as an Xbox exclusive, PC gamers must be drooling over it, nothing of note has come out for them since 2004 right? We can charge what we want, they'll line up to pay $40 to play it online, the other games on the platform are so bad they have to give online play away free! It'll be slam dunk, while we're add, add in an OS check that stops it running on XP, we can use this to leverage Vista sales.

Giant Christmas bonus here I come!

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Of course it won't require Windows 8. Titanfall is not Microsoft's game. It's an EA game. EA is partnering with Microsoft. The entire purpose of that partnership is Xbone exclusivity. EA isn't dumb enough to let Microsoft demand Windows 8 exclusivity for the PC. IT'S A SOURCE ENGINE GAME. Why would a Source engine game require Windows 8? Why are people surprised by this?

Caiphus

Social Office Corridor
Mar 31, 2010
Adam Jensen said:
Of course it won't require Windows 8. Titanfall is not Microsoft's game. It's an EA game. EA is partnering with Microsoft. The entire purpose of that partnership is Xbone exclusivity. EA isn't dumb enough to let Microsoft demand Windows 8 exclusivity for the PC. IT'S A SOURCE ENGINE GAME. Why would a Source engine game require Windows 8? Why are people surprised by this?
I was surprised at the news as well. Before this article I wasn't even aware that there might be rumours about this.

Apparently though, and I didn't know this, but Halo 2 was released on PC exclusively for Windows Vista. So that sort of makes sense, I guess. Although back then Microsoft owned Bungie, I believe...

So yeah.

lostlevel

Nov 6, 2008
holyshaman said:
TomWiley said:
spartandude said:
it is faster but more dumb and forstrating to use most because it was made for tablets and is not great for multitasking. personly i would use 2 screens for window 8.
Agreed after a year and an update I no longer hate Windows 8. 8.1 seems to run better but the only app I really use is Mail I can check my emails with less hassle although but for some reason it's useless at sending attachments so I can't use it for work.

In theory the metro is easier for people who aren't as well versed in Windows but for 'power users' it has made it slower to get to useful settings they way they're used to. For touch screens 8 is probably fine but I'm not a fan of glossy screens which are bad enough without finger prints.

I use the desktop for about 98% of my time at a computer. Sometimes I wish I could set it to look like Windows 98 for nostalgia and efficiency but I would agree the 2 screen set up is best for multi tasking in general but it also makes Windows 8 less annoying.

If it weren't for a lot of the games I already own and want on Steam I would seriously consider making my next computer a Mac if Microsoft continue in the direction of reduced freedom and customisation.

Auberon

Aug 29, 2012
Given that most gamers hate Windows 8, they would be insane to make it exclusive to that OS. I admit that it got better with 8.1 adding "classic" toolbar, Start menu etc. but still.

Captcha: gotham city

No, not yet.