Xbox One May Add Game Gifting Feature... Eventually

Michael Epstein

Sep 9, 2013
Xbox One May Add Game Gifting Feature... Eventually

Microsoft seems open to the idea of letting players pay them to buy games for other people, too.

Microsoft may be considering a feature allowing Xbox One users to gift games to each other digitally on Xbox Live, according to Xbox's Larry Hyrb. As of now, the Wii U is the only console that allows users to buy digital products for other accounts, a feature commonly associated with PC distribution platforms like Steam.

Hyrb, AKA Major Nelson, spoke about the feature yesterday during a Reddit AMA [http://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/comments/1phzly/can_i_buy_a_game_and_gift_it_to_a_friend_digitally/]. After multiple users asked about gifting digital games, Nelson responded: "Great feature we'd like to add in someday, but it won't be there at launch."

Microsoft initially seemed bullish on the idea allowing users to swap games online. At the console's unveiling event, Microsoft announced "family-sharing," a feature giving users the option to grant a limited number of accounts access to their digital game library. The feature was removed when Microsoft reneged on the Xbox One's infamous "always-online" requirements [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/125204-Microsoft-Drops-Xbox-One-DRM-Restrictions-UPDATED].

Obviously there's no timetable for Xbox One gifting, but seeing support for the feature could be a good sign that Microsoft may still be looking to give players more options for sharing games down the line.

Source: Reddit [http://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/comments/1phzly/can_i_buy_a_game_and_gift_it_to_a_friend_digitally/]

Midniqht

Beer Quaffer
Jul 10, 2009
I would actually use this, so I'm looking forward to the day where it'd be possible on the Xbox One. There are a few times where my girlfriend doesn't have a particular game, and I just want to get it for her so she can play right then and there, but I can't.

In addition to gifting games, I want to be able to gift Xbox Live credits/points to another. Hopefully I'm not the only one who'd find this useful.

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
Midniqht said:
In addition to gifting games, I want to be able to gift Xbox Live credits/points to another. Hopefully I'm not the only one who'd find this useful.
They'll never do this for two reasons.
1. They like people stuck with floating currency that is already dedicated to them.
2. They don't want you to try to circumvent the exchange on the currency.

The gifting games seems nice, but once again, I already have a PC. I don't need an Xbox to act like Steam.

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
FoolKiller said:
Midniqht said:
1. They like people stuck with floating currency that is already dedicated to them.

The gifting games seems nice, but once again, I already have a PC. I don't need an Xbox to act like Steam.
Not everyone uses Steam. More of my friends own Xboxes or PS3s. And I like using the feature on Steam, so I'd happily use it on a place where my console friends are playing. It'd make Christmas shopping for half my friends WAY easier.

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
ZZoMBiE13 said:
FoolKiller said:
Midniqht said:

Not everyone uses Steam. More of my friends own Xboxes or PS3s. And I like using the feature on Steam, so I'd happily use it on a place where my console friends are playing. It'd make Christmas shopping for half my friends WAY easier.
I didn't say everyone should. I'm primarily a console gamer. But the point is that they keep trying to turn console gaming into PC gaming.... with a shitty, restrictive PC. Digital content with a shelf life is a poor choice. Next gen consoles are looking to have the worst of both worlds with the benefits of neither.

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
FoolKiller said:
ZZoMBiE13 said:
FoolKiller said:
Midniqht said:

I didn't say everyone should. I'm primarily a console gamer. But the point is that they keep trying to turn console gaming into PC gaming.... with a shitty, restrictive PC. Digital content with a shelf life is a poor choice. Next gen consoles are looking to have the worst of both worlds with the benefits of neither.
Ah. I see what you're saying. Apologies friend, I made an jump to the quote button too quickly. That's my bad. Forgive me misreading your post.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
Only insane people would use it anyway.

Not because the idea itself is bad, but because the digital prices for the Xbox 360 and PS3 are significantly higher than buying the disc version, and I sincerely doubt this will change for the next generation. If I were going to buy a game for somebody, I wouldn't pay more than a retail copy and have them need to sit and download it.

There'd be no advantage to that whatsoever.

If you really wanted to be lazy you could buy a copy from Amazon and choose a gift wrap option with it sent to their address. It'd still cost less, and they'd have a copy they own all the rights to (and can return if they don't like it).

Arawn

Dec 18, 2003
It's not a bad idea, but it's not a great idea either. Yes, Steam already does it, so it's far from innovative. The PSN and XBL prices aren't even close to make it an option. Not only that what if the game I gift isn't one they like? They're stuck with it, no returns or refunds for either of us. I've gifted $5-$10 games from a steam sale, but a full priced digital game? Not once. Trading digital games? That might work out.

Infernal Lawyer

Jan 28, 2013
So basically they're 'considering' playing catch-up with Steam... and freaking NINTENDO. I can gift people games on my 3DS ffs, it's not difficult.

TBH I'm not sure why people here are talking about no returns and whatnot. You're not wrong, guys, that being stuck with a overpriced gift you don't like sucks, but it's not like you won't always have the option of going for your cheaper and 'safer' routes if you want. The important thing IMO is that gifting someone a license isn't bloody difficult, and it's funny how they're trying to act like this is a next-gen console and then they say "we're thinking about doing something that our competitors, even the one we usually sneer at for being behind the times, have been doing for a long time". I'm sure lots of people will want it for the convinience.