Xbox One Privacy Statement Explains Kinect's Data Collection

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
Xbox One Privacy Statement Explains Kinect's Data Collection

Xbox One users can control the sharing of some data, but there is no privacy for voice chat and video communications during gameplay sessions.

Microsoft released an updated privacy statement addressing remaining concerns consumers may have about the Xbox One's Kinect facial and voice recognition functionality and what Microsoft does with that data. The company stated information about users' personal appearance is private and "expressions" data is deleted once the session ends. However, users should not expect any level of privacy when using the chat, video, and communications features in live-hosted gameplay sessions as Microsoft will "monitor these communications to the extent permitted by law."

Microsoft will use the information it collects to inform users about their accounts and security updates in addition to personalizing advertisement-supported services to users.

Some games may use a new feature that allows users to use their facial expressions to influence a game. Microsoft stated the data will not identify the player, the data stays on the console, and it is destroyed at the end of the session. Hand gestures used with the Kinect also cannot be used to identify users. Some Kinect games will use the camera to take pictures of the user, but the photographs can be deleted at any time.

While Microsoft will monitor hosted gameplay sessions, the company stated there is no way for it to monitor the entire service at once. As long as the user consents, Microsoft will collect samples of voice commands for product improvement. Users can delete voice command samples stored on the console as long as they have not been sent to Microsoft already. Kinect can be turned off at any time. Microsoft will not monitor Skype calls.

The privacy statement is available for viewing in its entirety here. [http://www.microsoft.com/privacystatement/en-us/xbox/default.aspx#] To view more detailed information beyond each section's summary, click "learn more."

Source: Microsoft [http://www.microsoft.com/privacystatement/en-us/xbox/default.aspx#]

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
personalizing advertisement-supported services to users
Didn't they say they weren't doing that and nothing like that was in the pipeline (you know, shortly before someone else said they were doing it)?

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
CriticalMiss said:
Didn't they say they weren't doing that and nothing like that was in the pipeline (you know, shortly before someone else said they were doing it)?
They said they weren't going to do that...of course what they meant is that they could and would...not that they will...because they won't (except that they are).

This sounds about right of course...Microsoft has been pretty candid about the fact that the long-term XBone80 goal is the same as what was introduced those many months ago: An Orwellian TiVo that you can skype with in between Fantasy Football sessions.

tdylan

Jun 17, 2011
CriticalMiss said:
Set sarcasm detectors to "full" :

They said that the dashboard was designed with advertising in mind:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/125523-Xbox-One-Designed-With-Advertising-in-Mind,

but that's the dashboard, you see? "Dashboard." TOTALLY unrelated to the kinect.

Keep in mind, even though MS is also of the stance that
Through its Kinect camera, the Xbox One will have a window into players' living rooms. This opens up a "huge new trove of data" about how people are interacting with TV ads, according to one marketer who spoke under the condition of anonymity.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/microsoft-on-xbox-ones-advertising-potential/1100-6415386/
And that the Xbox One Can Reshape Marketing:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/128432-Xbox-One-Is-Not-Designed-With-Advertising-In-Mind-Microsoft-Says

They're also quick to assure us that it is NOT designed with marketing in mind:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/128432-Xbox-One-Is-Not-Designed-With-Advertising-In-Mind-Microsoft-Says

So, put your minds at ease everyone.

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
Microsoft: 'We didn't design this around advertising. Oh look, the entire thing is capable of shoving ads in your face in a way advertisers love... I mean uh, by accident.'

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
Hooray, doublespeak!

We've never designed our console around ads! We always designed our console around ads!

tdylan

Jun 17, 2011
Frostbite3789 said:
Hooray, doublespeak!

We've never designed our console around ads! We always designed our console around ads!
In Soviet Microsoft, ads are designed around console.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Well, fuck you too Microsoft! I can't even be really mad at you anymore. I just shake my head and go back to playing my PS3.

Epic_Bubble

Oct 19, 2013
This is what happens when you stare to long at the void...It starts to stare back at you.

Anyone see the irony of this statement being released around Halloween?

nodlimax

Feb 8, 2012
Hey guys, you know where you don't need this kind of stuff (Kinect)? On the PC. How about you get yourself a good one. You even get the chance to play classic games....the ones that already existed 10 years ago and more.

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009

The company stated information about users' personal appearance is private and "expressions" data is deleted once the session ends. However, users should not expect any level of privacy when using the chat, video, and communications features in live-hosted gameplay sessions as Microsoft will "monitor these communications to the extent permitted by law."

Microsoft will use the information it collects to inform users about their accounts and security updates in addition to personalizing advertisement-supported services to users.
So it will delete it's information about your appearance and expression, but maintain chat, video and 'communications' from gameplay. Which it will use, at the very least to mine for pre-determined logos and product phrases/catchphrases to target advertising to those companies, and at worst, to sell all your chat, video and 'communications' info to advertisers and marketers.

How exactly do you delete appearance and expression info while maintaining video and chat input, unless the info they are deleting is simply the raw feed results listing when you were happy, sad, suprised, fat, etc.?

And what exactly are 'communications' and how does that differ from the video and chat feed?

SecondPrize

Mar 12, 2012
Kinect can be turned off at any time.
But can the console be on while the Kinect is off? After the initial kerfuffle about kinect microsoft released a damage-control statement informing us how you can say "xbox off" to shut it down, but they were deliberately murky about how that shuts the console down as well and, as far as I know, their initial statements that the kinect was required to run the console still stand.

SecondPrize

Mar 12, 2012
Kalezian said:
SecondPrize said:
But can the console be on while the Kinect is off? After the initial kerfuffle about kinect microsoft released a damage-control statement informing us how you can say "xbox off" to shut it down, but they were deliberately murky about how that shuts the console down as well and, as far as I know, their initial statements that the kinect was required to run the console still stand.

they 'said' that the Kinect wasn't required to use the Xbone.

However, they never said that the console itself wouldn't work without the Kinect.

OT: This is the exact same reason I dont want the kinect. If Microsoft really wants to see into my bedroom, I'll be happy to go to their main offices with a mock-up of my bedroom, sit outside in public in my underwear, and play games while having the various 12 year olds who play games not rated for them yell out how they are going to rape various family members on concert speakers aimed at the general public. How's that for advertising the Xbone? having XxXBlazeNoSCOP3x420 saying they are going to rape someone while playing your highly advertised games?

How would the NFL like it if that happened?

Seriously Microsoft. That's all you would of got from looking through the Kinect into my bedroom.

Fucking sicko's.
The initial information was that the kinect was required for the console to function. They explicitly stated that, and I've not seen them pull that back.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
SecondPrize said:
I'm pretty sure they have stated that the Kinect was required to use the system. Then, that it wasn't. Then, that it was. Then, that you could turn it off. Then, that you couldn't. Then, that you could turn it off partly, but it could still respond to simple commands like "Xbox on". Then, that you could disconnect it. Then, that you needed the Kinect to make the system function...

Honestly, after the twelfth time they changed the story within the same week, I stopped paying attention to whether the Kinect was required or not. At this point, I'm sticking with "It will only be required to not be in my home." Much simpler.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
So happy Joe gets targeted ads thrown up at him WHILE playing games, not after? Because that's the impression I get from this.

And the fact that they're obviously straddling the line between legal and illegal worries the shit out of me. What fucking loopholes are they gonna find that let them go too far? Or even if barely legal is good enough for most people.

You haven't alleviated any of my personal concerns Microsoft. I'd rather not have to go through all the data collected and delete it after every session like a teenager going through his browser history.

And guess what? I don't care about Ryse, and I don't care about Dead Rising 3 and I don't care about the Kinect. So I don't care about your product Microsoft.

Zeren

Aug 6, 2011
Since Microsoft has been proven to work with the NSA, none of this surprises me. I won't get going anywhere near one of those consoles.

MaxwellMurder

Apr 12, 2011
So Microsoft will send me ads for pants because I'm not wearing them? Alright I don't care about privacy. I mean have you seen Titanfall! I will trade Microsoft pictures of my dick to play that.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
In capitalist america, TV watches you!

So basically this is everything we were worried about, especially the line of "we will do everything possible within the law to monitor you"
Yeah this will end well.....