Sharp Announces A Fancy New Electronic... Cutting Board?

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Sharp Announces A Fancy New Electronic... Cutting Board?

[vimeo=74730839]
And you thought the fridge with a TV built-in was taking things too far.

Because humanity simply won't stop until every appliance has some sort of touch-screen and wi-fi functionality built-in, Sharp has announced a electronic cutting board so you can watch TV while you chop your vegetables. The Chop-Syc interactive chopping board is basically a tablet device that can be used as a digital scale, a calculator, an internet browser to look up recipes, and you can apparently also chop things on it.

It was developed as the result of the "#GetItDownOnPaper" competition held by Sharp Europe. The lucky winner, Siobhán Andrews, a student of Sustainable Product Design at Falmouth University, England, had an idea for an interactive chopping board that apparently impressed the judges as well as the folks at Sharp Laboratories so much that they have now put together a Chop-Syc prototype.

If you're worried about using a sharp knife to cut liquidy ingredients on top of an LCD screen, Sharp has assured us that the board is made from a special type of toughened scratch-resistant glass, and has a digital touch-sensitive screen that uses the LCD technology Sharp is famous for.

Managing Director of Sharp Laboratories of Europe, Ian Thompson, has commented that the Chop-Syc "solves a genuine human need to tackle the global issue of obesity through the integration of healthy recipes and portion sizes."

So there you have it kids, it's not another useless pairing of technology with something that clearly doesn't need it, it's going to solve obesity.

Source: Rocket News 24 [http://en.rocketnews24.com/2013/11/03/sharp-comes-out-with-a-chopping-board-well-an-interactive-one-anyway/]

SadisticFire

Oct 1, 2012
Obesity is also obviously only caused by too much of something and not enough of another(Which I guess despite my sarcasm is true, but it isn't that simple so plz no jump on me :c)
But eh. I mean it's cool, but I don't see anyone really going out and buying it other than a nice gift for some one, or ssome one with a lot of disposiable income. I guess it did come out near the holiday season so that's probably what they're banking off of.

Psychobabble

. . . . . . . .
Aug 3, 2013
Well good .. I can use the browsing function to look up how to get a finger reattached when I inevitably get distracted by some mindless entertainment while chopping veggies.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
lost fingers aside, this does seem like it'd free up space in a kitchen with a small counter, however i have to ask if there's a button to lock the screen so you don't keep pressing things while you are cutting

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
What a scam man. I hate corporations. "You gives us an idea, you get a paid internship and we get all the money from your idea!" are they not generous?

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
If I'm going to be cutting things on an electronic device (not that I am,) they better have gotten beyond "scratch resistant" to an utterly confident "scratch-proof". And that dainty tomato slicing they're showing isn't going to cut it, either.

When they can confidently have an amateur disjoint a chicken with a meat cleaver, maybe we'll talk.

Tahaneira

Social Justice Rogue
Feb 1, 2011
Not gonna lie. I have a couple of professional chef friends and they would probably go for this. They can already dismember a farm's worth of vegetables and livestock without looking at their hands, they could probably handle watching a show or reading the news through this thing. And they would be doing it for long enough periods to actually get their money's worth.

That said, I can't see it being remotely useful (or safe) for anyone else. Also, I don't care how 'scratch-resistant' this is, that screen will get fucked up.

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
Sooo basically it does exactly what my iPad does already but I can't carry it around the kitchen with ease?

Genius.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
I was just chopping up veggies while watching YouTube on my phone earlier. I could use this.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Some of the criticism this is getting is pretty baffling considering this isn't being advertised as an entertainment device. That aside, I can see a place for the Chop-syc in the kitchen some time in the future if they manage to pull it off. It's going to be tougher than your tablet device, have an in-built scale and also serve as a chopping board. I'm not seeing any negatives here.

TIMESWORDSMAN

Wishes he had fewer cap letters.
Mar 7, 2008
Hey guys, if we're ever going to get to the cool future with the holodecks and the knives that toast your bread while you cut it, we're gonna have to not jump at every seemingly pointless and lazy invention.

I'm not saying you should buy into every new invention or product. I'm saying that in order to get some sweet ass carbonara, your probably gonna have to deal with raw eggs.

Estranged180

Mar 30, 2011
As someone that cooks everything that everyone in this house eats on a daily basis (without using the microwave... I actually use the stove and oven) this is an idea that's long overdue. I can't tell you how many times I've dropped an ingredient from a previously unknown recipe because I've had to look from one place to another (cookbook to cutting board and back again to make sure I got it right... which I didn't).

Doesn't matter much though, by the time this hits the markets, I'll have a nasty case of Alzheimer's and think that it'd be quite all right to put 2 2/3 cups of giraffe into a bowl of cereal. Only to try to eat it with a chair.

vun

Burrowed Lurker
Apr 10, 2008
Seems kind of unnecessary, and I'd imagine the surface would wreak havoc on any knife edge. Just make a nice wood chopping board with built-in scales and a tiny display somewhere, because I do like the idea of just being able to dump stuff on the board and then get told how much it all weighs.

Skeggers

Mar 1, 2012
I suppose you could say that they're on the CUTTING EDGE of chopping board technology.
God, I'm so sorry.

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
Great, so advertisers can bother me while I try to prepare my food?
No thanks.
Simalacrum said:
Sooo basically it does exactly what my iPad does already but I can't carry it around the kitchen with ease?

Genius.
I dunno, can you cut on your iPad with a knife without damaging it?

Psychobabble

. . . . . . . .
Aug 3, 2013
IceForce said:
Great, so advertisers can bother me while I try to prepare my food?
No thanks.
Simalacrum said:

Genius.
I dunno, can you cut on your iPad with a knife without damaging it?
You know that's a really good question. I decided to experiment with my girlfriend's iPad to find the answer to your question. .... The answer is NO. ... I'm in so much trouble.