Kane & Lynch May Yet Get A Movie, With Gerard Butler In Lead

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Kane & Lynch May Yet Get A Movie, With Gerard Butler In Lead

THIS ISSSS ... wait, where is this again? Oh. Oh dear.

Gerard Butler, he of 300 fame, may yet surprise us with a Kane & Lynch film adaptation. Butler is in talks to play Kane, while the role of Lynch is still open; Vin Diesel has been offered the part, but hasn't accepted it. F. Gary Grey - The Negotiator, The Italian Job remake - will direct. Lionsgate has been plugging away at this one since 2007, with not much to show for it; time was, Bruce Willis [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/84271-Bruce-Willis-Could-Star-in-Kane-and-Lynch-Film] was supposed to play Kane with Jamie Foxx as co-star, but those days are long gone.

Kane & Lynch: Dead Men is probably best remembered as the game that Kane & Lynch 2: Dog Days [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/116360-Jeff-Gerstmann-Explains-His-Departure-From-Gamespot]. Don't think the world is grateful for that, because it bloody isn't.

While Lionsgate's optimism is admirable, you have to wonder where it intends to go with this one. You start with Bruce Willis and Jamie Foxx as your two stars, and work your way down to Gerard Butler and Vin Diesel? Where to from here? Kermit the Frog and a plank of wood?

Source: Hollywood Reporter [http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/gerard-butler-circling-video-game-651814]

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Why?

Why?

WHY?

Kane and Lynch is one of those game IP's that would want Uwe Boll to brutalise direct, so why is Lionsgate trying?

mechalynx

Führer of the Sausage People
Mar 23, 2008
Karloff said:
While Lionsgate's optimism is admirable, you have to wonder where it intends to go with this one. You start with Bruce Willis and Jamie Foxx as your two stars, and work your way down to Gerard Butler and Vin Diesel? Where to from here? Kermit the Frog and a plank of wood?
I'm sorry, but that is just bullshit. While Butler's and Diesel's resumés are not as extensive as Willis' they are not by any means B-list actors. I don't see why this is a downgrade when the only thing that separates those actors at the end of the day is their paychecks, and not their talents.

antidonkey

Dec 10, 2009
Well, good games tend to make terrible movies....maybe they're thinking that terrible games will make great films. At the very least, the movies can't be worse than the games.

AnthrSolidSnake

Jun 2, 2011
I've never played a Kane and Lynch game, but that's because I heard they are pretty bad, or at best, mediocre. So why are they making a movie out of it? Do they assume since everyone already has low expectations for the games that if they make at least an average movie people will be impressed? I mean...I guess if you're afraid you'd screw it up somehow choosing a low rated video game series wouldn't be the worst idea.

Trucken

Jan 26, 2009
OK, I'll be the first to say it...

I thoroughly enjoyed Kane & Lynch. Both of them. Especially in co-op mode. Yes, they're flawed, and the first one certainly deserved the score Jeff Gerstmann gave, but I still had a good time with those games and have actually been waiting for a third in the series.

OT: Might be good, might be bad. Just make sure that Lynch has the same hair as in the games, a completely shaved Lynch would look weird.

Vie

Nov 18, 2009
Can we pay them not to make it?

I mean seriously, who wants this?

Micalas

Mar 5, 2011
mechalynx said:
Karloff said:
I'm sorry, but that is just bullshit. While Butler's and Diesel's resumés are not as extensive as Willis' they are not by any means B-list actors. I don't see why this is a downgrade when the only thing that separates those actors at the end of the day is their paychecks, and not their talents.
First thing I though. Gerard Butler is certainly not a step down. Vin Diesel is debatable, but credit where credit is due.

FogHornG36

Jan 29, 2011
Its bad that i love the characters Kane and Lynch make, such a wonderfully dysfunctional buddy team, i didn't like the games that much for gameplay, but i played through them both in coop because i wanted to see were it would take them.

Gerard Butler would make a good kane, but you really can't just throw anyone into the role of Lynch, my choice if you could get anyone... John Travolta

Ignatz_Zwakh

Sep 3, 2010
I could totes seeing them work their way even FURTHER down the ladder of b-level actors. Hell, just cast Danny Trejo and Mickey Rourke as the duo.

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
So Gerard Butler is going to play Kane and Lynch?

I would probably go see that movie.

EDIT:

I think it would look something like this:

Mromson

Jun 24, 2007
This actually sounds like a movie I'd love to see. The Kane and Lynch games didn't fail due to the story, they failed due to the gameplay. I very much like their concept.

Last Hugh Alive

Jul 6, 2011
I loved the first game and if the film depicts the events of that then I'm on board. I just reeeaaally fear for the direction of the movie if Vin Diesel was offered the role of Lynch. He's not a bad actor, but the character of Lynch is supposed to resemble someone like Trevor from GTA V; a repugnant psychopath who isn't one bit pleasant to look at. Kane on the other hand has this depressed Max Payne vibe to him but without many admirable traits, he could be played by plenty of actors.