Battlefield Should Drop Singleplayer

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Battlefield Should Drop Singleplayer

It's time for the series to go back to its roots.

Read Full Article

VoidOfOne

Aug 14, 2013
I agree.

And this is coming from someone who has never played any of the Battlefield games, but is surrounded by friends who do. None of them see the point of the campaign in this series, and all of them just focus on multi-player.

All hail Tank Ninja!

AnthrSolidSnake

Jun 2, 2011
Ahhh....I...Uhhh...I don't know how I feel to be honest. I actually...really like the Campaigns. Even Battlefield 3. However, I do notice a lack of enthusiasm in it. At this point, if they just aren't willing to put a dedicated team at least interested in making a great single player campaign, then I guess I don't see the real problem making battlefield strictly multiplayer. The multiplayer is very solid, and that's what most people flock to when buying the game.

circularlogic88

Knower of Nothing
Oct 9, 2010
I honestly don't see a point for many FPSs to have single player campaigns. Every company seems to be more focused on the multiplayer aspects of FPS games anyways, and treat the single player mode as a begrudging obligation more than anything else. Battlefield to me was great as it was just being a multiplayer game.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
sounds about right; it's the same thing with Call of Duty as well. Hardly anyone plays the campaigns so why bother putting them in, especially when they take away resources from the multiplayer?

toomuchnothing

Jul 5, 2010
Battlefield players eject out of their planes, blow up an enemy fighter with their launchers during free-fall and then jump back into their vehicle and fly it back off
Source video [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5Y6hO1H1tw] in case someone hasn't seen it done before.

Daaaah Whoosh

Jun 23, 2010
After playing the Bad Company 1/2 campaigns, I really, really want the rest of the Battlefield campaigns to be good. Unfortunately, there's just something about the way they make them these days that kills the experience. It's like they stopped making fun of Call of Duty and instead tried to be exactly like them.
The worst part is, I liked the story of Battlefield 3. It was a good idea, having the missions of a Russian and an American converge and diverge as the player learns about a plot to start a world war, losing friends and killing commanders in the process. Unfortunately, most of what I just described only works for me because I have a good imagination. I can see what they were trying to do. They just didn't pull it off.

PrimePowerOn

Nov 30, 2009
VoidOfOne said:
I agree.

And this is coming from someone who has never played any of the Battlefield games, but is surrounded by friends who do. None of them see the point of the campaign in this series, and all of them just focus on multi-player.

All hail Tank Ninja!
I find myself in the exact same situation. Not one of my friends spends any time with the singleplayer campaign. Now that I think about it, a great deal of my time, that could be spent actually playing games, is spent watching people play Battlefield. Huh.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
Mcoffey said:
The only reason I ever consider getting a Cod or a Battlefield is to check out single player. Contextless death matches bore me to tears. Most times their stories are nonsense but they're pretty much the only game in town even looking at a modern military setting (That's worth paying attention to).

On the other hand, I absolutely understand that I am not the target audience for these games, so maybe my take on it doesnt count for much.
I'm in the same boat... this "Multi-player" only business holds no interest to me... none of my friends play the same games as me or have the time for contextless multiplayer matches. I have even LESS time to spend playing contextless deathmatches with people I don't know... and there's that goddamn learning curve... Spawn... die... spawn... die... spawn... die... maybe eventually I'll live more than five seconds so I can actually see what multiplayer has to offer. Bah! I've never gotten the appeal... the only multiplayer game I've put ANY time into is Left 4 Dead 2, which I do love, but which is also a primarily co-operative game.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Kumagawa Misogi said:
No CoD players show off by bouncing a throwing a knife off of a killstreak to kill the guy using it.
True, though I always thought these had more of an air of happenstance to them than being deliberate. Zooking is something Battlefield players are actively attempting to do, whereas tossing your knife at the end of a match and it just happened to be caught on the final death cam as it bounced off a supply drop and killed someone was just blind luck. Though maybe I just haven't seen anyone showing off like that on a routine basis.

Arawn

Dec 18, 2003
I feel it's not a lack of passion that single player campaigns has dwindled in quality; rather a lack of focus. The companies know people buy FPS for multiplayer. People literally boot up the game and jump right into death matches. Single player is almost treated like a tutorial for the game's mechanics, and as such is ignored. I mean isn't that what the game manual is for? So the single player is like the paper on a cupcake; it's in the way of your delicious treat. So few people regard the single campaign and lavish praise on the multiplayer segments. The amount of work and effort on one grows while the other shrinks. It's not for a lack of trying, just the realization that it will be get less attention than their other work. But honestly is there any comparison to facing AI vs facing a human character? How often does the AI sneak up behind you to knife you? Most single players boil down to an on rail shooter; Enter a room and enemies pile in through the door or they're already waiting for you. Kill them all then move to the next room. That can't compete with jumping out of the room as a grenade goes off killing the guy that threw said grenade with only a sliver of your health remaining.

rasputin0009

Feb 12, 2013
Or bring back Bad Company. BF3's and BF4's single player were terrible because they took themselves too seriously. You really can't be serious if the writing is terrible. Bad Company was silly enough to get away with bad writing.

Other than that, fuck it. Spend the Single Player effort on making sure the netcode isn't a fucking mess. I used to joke that BF3 had a terrible netcode, but BF4's is so bad, it's ridiculous. If the game wasn't fun as all hell, I would've ragequitted on day one.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Actually I don't really agree.

Not entirely.

Battlefield can be single player, but it's single player needs to capture the things that make multiplayer so special, the freedom, scale and the simple joy of blowing shit up, and blowing lots of shit up.

The Bad Company games did a great job of capturing that with fun characters, simple plot lines, big vibrant levels with a lot of stuff to destory, particularly the first one that was just a series of sandboxxes with toys for you to play with.

Battlefield multiplayer though is full of only in battlefield moments. That glorious moment where you drop a helo pilot with a grenade launcher potshot and get 4 kills and vehicle destory. Or when a landmine triggers a chain reaction of things exploding, like a glorious symphony of metallic carnage.

Or the simple satisfaction of rolling a tank over a quadbike.

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
I kind of have to agree. Battlefield will always be a multiplayer series to me. Although, they have kinda tried to force you into the campaign with Battlefield 4, since some guns are unlocked for multiplayer by completing it.

AdagioBoognish

Member?
Nov 5, 2013
I'm down with battlefield 5 having a campaign, but only if they ditch this whole US suddenly the underdog motif that BF and COD are trying to create. For me it comes across as being just too ignorant of current events for me to get into. The Russians invading in MW2 isn't going to happen, but it's plausible enough for me to immerse myself in the story. In ghosts and BF4 the idea of the US being crippled and taking on the underdog persona just reeks of trying to reclaim revolutionary war era patriotism, which I can't get behind considering how many countries we've bombed and spied on in the last decade. I just feel that all the plot lines have MERICA stamped all over them, mainly because [!US!Patriotism!] stands out way more than any recent attempts at a subtle story arcs or character development.

I will buy two copies of any next gen shooter that lets me play as a bad guy. Far as FPS are concerned, I've been wrapped in an American flag for so long that my ass is starting to chaff seven shades of red, white, and blue. For once I want to play as a guy who is invading some nation and just !@#@ing cannot catch one little squad of do gooders reeking havoc on my army.

Picture a campaign of being the guy responsible for catching those ass hats in Bad Company.

ColaWarVeteran

Jul 27, 2010
I heard somewhere (can't remember the source) that there has to be a single player campaign on these games if they plan on releasing it on consoles other than the PC. Anyway, I personally thought BF4's single player wasn't that bad. Plus the addition of unlocking dogtags and extra weapons for the multiplayer was a nice touch.