Ryse: Son of Rome Preview: Summary Execution

andrearene

Mar 18, 2013
Ryse: Son of Rome Preview: Summary Execution

Criticized for Kinect, quick time events, and lack of meaningful gameplay, Ryse has a lot working against it. You'll find yourself pleasantly surprised by how rewarding the combat experience is.

Read Full Article

Phrozenflame500

Dec 26, 2012
Seems awfully polarizing. We get previews like this and then you get <a href=http://www.gameinformer.com/games/ryse_son_of_rome/b/xboxone/archive/2013/11/06/ryse-son-of-rome-is-as-fun-as-dialing-phone-numbers.aspx>GameInformer's and <a href=http://www.joystiq.com/2013/11/06/ryse-son-of-rome-and-its-low-slung-combat-ceiling/#continued>Joystiq's very negative previews. I'll be interested to see what the reviews are when it actually comes out.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
I fail to see how giving enemies a button coloured aura around them instead of a button shaped icon above their heads is much of an actual distinction when it comes to yet another game with QTE finishing moves. But hey, at least there's actual combat in the game instead of just QTEs so I guess that's something.

TomWiley

Jul 20, 2012
StriderShinryu said:
I fail to see how giving enemies a button coloured aura around them instead of a button shaped icon above their heads is much of an actual distinction when it comes to yet another game with QTE finishing moves. But hey, at least there's actual combat in the game instead of just QTEs so I guess that's something.
Well, you're kinda taking the sentence there out of context. The point is that there is more to it then QTE. I've played quite a bit of it so I can confirm that from personal experience.

Overall, it looks like a pretty neat game; definitely underrated.

Incomer

Sep 15, 2009
StriderShinryu said:
They keep going on about how it is supposed to feel like a movie and whatnot. Let's face it, slight aura around your target is way less disturbing then huge icon above his head. I believe your mind will block out the subtle hints and keep you in while you can never really forget about them buttons ;)