Xbox Music Streaming Service Will Require Subscription On Xbox One

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Xbox Music Streaming Service Will Require Subscription On Xbox One

[tweet t=https://twitter.com/albertpenello/status/398136973224710144]​
The ad-supported free version of Xbox Music won't be available on the Xbox One after all.

In October 2012, Microsoft few days ago [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/119968-Xbox-Music-Debuts-This-Month-as-Free-Streaming-Service] that Xbox One owners will be able to access the free version of Xbox Music as long as they have an Xbox Live Gold subscription.

Alas, it turns out that he was mistaken. "I was wrong about Music on XboxOne: You get 15 free song plays then need Music Pass for ad-free streaming," he tweeted earlier today. "No ad-supported streaming. Sorry!"

The obvious question is, why not? Xbox 360 and Xbox One owners are already paying a fee for their Gold subscriptions, after all, so why force them to pay over and above that while PC users can get away with just sitting through an ad? Penello noted in a follow-up that "Xbox Music supports Play-To of all your music directly from your PC," but do you have 30 million tracks on your PC? Probably not.

Source: Twitter [https://twitter.com/albertpenello]

Psychobabble

. . . . . . . .
Aug 3, 2013
I think it's now official that Microsoft has become the Ryanair of consoles. I hope Microsoft at least ships a tube of complementary KY Jelly with every Xbone.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
Who is using there console to stream music? I just mute the game, pick up my phone, press the YouTube app and find whatever music I want or I can go on the double twist app and use my music. Using double twist I can listen to pod casts and radio as well and it's free!

Don't have to leave the game or go into any menus in a dashboard, don't even have to shout at an xbox... Might have to pause the game though.

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
I like how one of the first legitimately good news about the Xbox One gets reverted within just 2 days. Its almost like Microsoft is allergic to good press for the Xbox One.

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
Mean while on the PC we have tons of free music streaming services. I just don't get why you have to pay for everything on consoles.

Story

Note to self: Prooof reed posts
Sep 4, 2013
I didn't even know Xbone had this feature. It means jack to me though since I wouldn't pay money for something I can do for free on my computer.

tangoprime

Renegade Interrupt
May 5, 2011
I'm sorry Albert, I couldn't hear you over the sound of Pandora, let me alt-tab out of my game and mute it for a second.

Psychobabble

. . . . . . . .
Aug 3, 2013
kiri2tsubasa said:
Psychobabble said:
blah blah blah Ryanair of consoles.
I have not heard that hated company name in years. Once was all I ever needed to decide to never use them again. After all, who wants to be on a plane about 10 minutes form landing, and then hear both engines sputter to shut down and have all the lights go out. Fuel starvation, fun. Not sure what this has to due with Microsoft, but yeah, I can see the parallels, even with fuel starvation.
Ryanair are just like the worst of the Day One DLC abusers in the video game industry. They charge a fee for everything and give incredibly terrible service to boot. And I agree flying Ryanair is not something you need to experience twice. Your chances for survival would most likely be greater just having someone fire you across the channel in a trebuchet.

Oh and Blah Blah Blah.

AstaresPanda

Nov 5, 2009
wtf ? PC everything free, all you pay for is your connection. But on consoles. how greedy and how are they getting away with this. They forget they should be a gaming system 1st 2nd and 3rd and THEN add other shit.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Andy Chalk said:
The obvious question is, why not? Xbox 360 and Xbox One owners are already paying a fee for their Gold subscriptions, after all, so why force them to pay over and above that while PC users can get away with just sitting through an ad? Penello noted in a follow-up that "Xbox Music supports Play-To of all your music directly from your PC," but do you have 30 million tracks on your PC? Probably not.
By spending the same amount of money i would spend on Xbox, for PC streaming services, 30 million tracks would feel like a drop in the ocean.
Heck, if i was unable to actually know what i like and have o rely on random streaming services, i would have acess to more tracks FOR FREE.